What's with the 'black face'???!!

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey, why are people starting to use black face again?? I've seen it a couple of times lately........Actually, three times; and as they say "three strikes and your out"!

Is it because America has a black President? So they want to try and degrade black people any chance they get?
Really shows you how much prejudice there still is in the world!

You know I wasn't going to say anything; but it really, really hurt me to see 'black face' used in the Saint movie.....I think it was St. Anthony??! Can't remember exactly. This Saint had an Ethiopian friend and I was really looking forward to the part when I would see his Ethiopian friend.......dear Lord, I was sooooooo frightened when they portrayed the Ethiopian as a man with 'black face'! Gosh is that what anyone would want their children to think 'black people' looked like??!! I mean it really scared me! I can imagine what it would do to a child....yuk!
I would like to say, having visited Ethiopia, that Ethiopians are some of the most handsome, beautiful people in the world!
I know people are forced to do things because of oppression, but I feel I should speak out against such demeaning acts as 'black face' actors! I would like to complain to whomever produced that movie, because I think it is evil to do such a thing and evil like a cancer spreads and spreads....

Comments

• i don't see the problem. what's with telling someone your face is black?!.......you are simply explaining what's his face color.
    Would it kill to call someone white or black?! NO!
    this is that way especially with us, Egyptians, whoa re not racist because we are simply from the same race. Meaning that you'll always see it in saint movies to. Think about it...saint movies are done as accurate as possible to the real story. So if this happened in the real story, and that is so.

Prejudice people will ALWAYS be there...nothing can change people's mind that easily.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8414.msg106928#msg106928 date=1255808396]
    i don't see the problem. what's with telling someone your face is black?!.......you are simply explaining what's his face color.
    Would it kill to call someone white or black?! NO!
    this is that way especially with us, Egyptians, whoa re not racist because we are simply from the same race. Meaning that you'll always see it in saint movies to. Think about it...saint movies are done as accurate as possible to the real story. So if this happened in the real story, and that is so.

Prejudice people will ALWAYS be there...nothing can change people's mind that easily.

Sorry, guess I'm not making my opinion 'clear' (as usual)!
    Using light or white actors in 'blackface' to portray someone like an Ethiopian is demeaning and rude! It's like a slap in the face! It has no place in society and especially not in a 'Saint' movie!!! It is not a matter of changing peoples minds; it is a matter of having those movies not shown if they are going to be sooooooo unrealistic! I have never in my life seen a 'Black' person look even similar to a white man in black face!!! It is a most horrible sight! I don't know how anyone could consider that 'accurate'??!!

I think that defeats the whole purpose of the 'Saint' movie!!!
    I think it is not an act of love and compassion for the fellow man: and the word states that we can 'give our bodies to be burned, even move mountains'! But if we do not have 'love' it is all in vain and for nothing! GOD is not in that!!! GOD does not know that!!!