Facebook

edited October 2009 in Youth Corner
some people say that facebook is bad
i really want to get one... a lot of coptic people have them and even some abounas do and servants too
can you guys make enough posts to convince everyone that facebook is not bad  :)
I REALLY NEED POSTS PLZ

Comments

• can you make one saying it's bad?
  • it is not bad, it is only bad if you talk to people u don't know and put bad pictures other than that you'll be fine
  • facebook is like a weapon... it bad if you misuse it... its good if you use it for the right reasons...

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • ...just be careful not to share your personal info's. I would say,limit info's on your identity, address ,etc. There are wolves roaming around in sheep's skin. Much care is essential.
  • +it might waste time...keep a time limit.
  • Facebook is a very two-edged sword, just like most things in the world. For example, your tongue. The same tongue can be used to praise God or to curse others. There's nothing wrong with the tongue itself, but it's the way it's used that matters. You need to exercise caution using it.

Another example; a book. Books can be wonderful to read (eg the Bible!!!) or they can be used to communicate heresies, inappropriate material etc. Therefore the idea of publishing books can be a good or a bad one, depending on the intention behind it.

Facebook is very much the same, I find it very useful in keeping in touch with family I have in Egypt, Australia etc. The downside is that I've seen many people who waste so much time on it that their lives fall apart around them, just like an addiction. Now think about this very carefully...why do you want Facebook? Are your intentions good (and it's important here to be honest with yourself) or could you see yourself wasting your whole day in front of it?

If you honestly think that your intentions might be good, then perhaps ask a spiritual brother or sister to keep an eye on you so that you don't waste too much time on it. If you get the slightest hint that you might be, then get rid of it straight away. It's important to be wise here and to think honestly (and I mean REALLY honestly) about your intentions and actions.

God bless,
    Matthew
  • what a very sound post!
    i am about to leave it myself coz i have no time this year.
    must remember to get the emails of the long-lost cousins who found me on it!
    :)
  • many answers here are so profound, it makes it seem so serious. its ok to get a facebook, it can even be good. like i use mine to get notifications from my sunday school teachers, the christian club at my school, and from abounas. there are also many coptic groups on facebook that you can join. just be careful to limit your actions to the good. like, dont accept people you dont know, or bad people, or share personal information. and dont let your life revolve around it. that is when it crosses the fine line between an activity and an obsession.

god bless :)
  • facebook is not bad, the reason that some abounas, deacons, and servants have facebook because they could give each other information about something like the next youth meeting or the time of the liturgy
  • True, and if an abouna has a facebook, how bad, if at all, could it be?
  • facebook in itself is not "bad"... some things that happen on facebook are what is bad
    a good way to protect yourself from these bad things is to surround yourself with GOOD GOD-LOVING FRIENDS!!!
    and this doesnt not only apply to facebook. but rather to every aspect of your life
    hope i helped
    please pray for me and my weakness
  • [quote author=egyboy link=topic=8402.msg107006#msg107006 date=1256092172]
    facebook in itself is not "bad"... some things that happen on facebook are what is bad
    a good way to protect yourself from these bad things is to surround yourself with GOOD GOD-LOVING FRIENDS!!!
    and this doesnt not only apply to facebook. but rather to every aspect of your life
    hope i helped
    please pray for me and my weakness

Precisely, thats what i was trying to say, just better :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 1 Corinthians 6:12

"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial.

It matters what you do with it, if it breaks you down or tempts you spiritually for any reason it is obviously not good for you no matter who has one. If it is a website you use as a way to keep in touch with people or share pictures without being brought down spiritually then why not? It can also distract you take too much time from you, so make sure its not an addiction!

• Great VERSE

• I have a facebook. As stated many times before, it is only wrong when you use it improperly.

[quote author=jibrahim23 link=topic=8402.msg107042#msg107042 date=1256157663]
    Facebook is not bad.  I have a Facebook.  I made a group for my church and even one for this website. But if you use it for the wrong reasons then it turns bad and turns into an addiction.

I'm part of that group!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Facebook is not bad as long as you are keeping things clean and not wasting your time .

+mahraeel+
  • Face book is a risk. It is very easy to forget god in it our priest says facebook is bad, especially if your under age

gode bless you.