Psalms 109

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I was very shocked when I read psalm 109. I am used to hearing “love your enemy” and things of that sort. Although in the beginning it clearly says that you are seeking god carry out these actions to those who have falsely accused you, I was always told it is a sin to wish tribulation upon somebody. The psalm states some very harsh wishes upon ones false accuser. Now I am beginning to think that it’s only a sin to with bad things upon a person who has done you no harm. Can somebody please clarify this for me? Everyone’s ideas and input would be much appreciated.
God Bless You All
-Mark
P.S. - In my bible it says “To the chief musician. A Psalm of David.” At the very top; Who is the chief musician???

Comments

• I think Ican help you out with this one (I've been reading my Orthodox bible... highly recommended if you don't have one).

First off, many of the Psalms are actually prophetic in nature (i.e. David was a prophet). We recite many of these prophetic psalms on Good Friday (in the Ke-Eperto tune)

Traditionally part of this Psalm is actually a prophecy of Judas's betrayal of Christ (verse 8) and the replacement of Judas by the apostles. See Acts 1:20.

Verses 21 and 22 portray the sufferings of Christ on the Cross.

The chief musician refers to the choir director of the psalms.

According to Orthodox studies, you are right, this is labeled the most violent of the "cursing psalms".

When you read these "cursing psalms", it's not that David necessarily wants evil to happen to others, RATHER he's wanting God's justice to prevent the continuation of persecution of those who believe in God, it's NOT that he's necessarily "wishing evil" on someone.

This theme of justice is especially present in the Revelation regarding the many martyr's whose blood was shed.

In conclusion, these should be read as pleas for God to stop the persecution of the ungodly.

Does this kind of answer what you're asking? Hope it helps.

• just to give credit again. These interpretations were from the Orthodox bible...... again I highly recommend it, it answers a lot of the questions you encounter when reading the bible.

• You've helped me a great deal, thank you very much fhhanna. God Bless You
  • fhhanna, you may have helped Mark, but i'm still not really convinced. I still say that this psalm is violent and mean. It says: let his children beg, let his wife be a widow and things of that sort. It is really disturbing.

And how are u sure that this psalm is a prophecy? I read the part in Acts, but that just refers to one little part. There is still so much more. Mark, if u understand so well now, let me know. Help please, i'm still confused.