Tough situation..in need of help

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hello everyone, any responses would be greatly appreciated. To make a long story short..less than a year ago I lost my nine year old brother to a cancerous brain tumour. This hit my family really hard, especially my mom and I as we were were the main care providers for him and our lives have been greatly affected. My mom has changed alot and is always in an edgy mood. Ever since he passed away..she has made me feel, in a way responsible for his passing..its hard to describe..for instance making me feel guilty for not watching him enough or telling her if I suspected anything unusual. We constantly argue and I feel as if we'll never be ok with each other again.. Here's the problem..whenever we argue I tend to somehow shift the blame on God. I know this is wrong of me, but sometimes its just easier that way. I feel like my relationship with God is also breaking apart.. and whenever I pray I dont feel any connection with Him..like there's no point in praying..what can I do to restore it?? Sometimes..I also feel as if the devil comes to me during the night..its hard to describe..like i dont see him but I know its him and I feel very scared and then I make the sign of the cross and feel at peace...Im very scared and dont know what to do..

Comments

• hello ms_babylon,
    I suggest u talk to ur father of confession he can rally help u out. i think before u pray sit down and meditate softly. Focus ur thoughts on God. Singing a song helps to get into the  "mood" of praying. Don't worry God is with every step of the way. The great Lord never leaves His children.

God be with you

• what is the devil going to do with you?! why would he waste his time with you at night while you sleep and alone and the probability of you sinning is well under 10%... he's got bigger things to take care of!

its your imagination... and the more you think about it the more you will notice and maybe even later on start seeing!

about your mom... your mom needs to go to a psychologist or a therapist... this is a common problem with mothers who lose children while others are still alive!

you can contact me... if its not that serious we can work on it together... if its "too" serious then we will find good professional who can take care of it!

nakhod el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • OK. this is really tough...... my compassions to you.

There is no one to be blamed here. No one should take it on anyone. All of you should be supportive to each other. May be this link http://philcoinms.multiply.com/video/item/188 will say what I couldn't say. I'm not degrading or comparing the loss of humans to pets, but there is a message here.

May God bless you and bless your family.

• Thank you all for the advice and prayers
    ..Superman its hard for me to fully explain but its a little more complicated (in reference to the devil)..its as if i feel him trying to talk to me or something. And its not when im asleep, but before I go to bed at night. With regards to my mother seeing a doctor for help, she refuses to acknowledge she needs help so thats out of the question.. I just feel sad and hurt most of the time, and I pray to God to help me, and only hope He listens to me.
    I would like to talk to a priest about it, but Im scared to..please pray for me.
  • i used to have evil experiences at night when i was a child, because of a neighbour who used to tell fortunes and put curses on people (she was something like a satanist) but always God protected me, because the devil has NO power over us, he can only make us scared. it was years before i fully trusted in God and stopped being afraid whenever i slept even though i read the Bible every day and tried hard to please God in my life. this is because i was slow to trust God, now i trust him better.
    what u need to know dear brother/sister is that God loves you VERY much and understands your pain. He has an answer for what you need to do. if you find it hard to talk to people directly about this (which, by the way, is a good idea) then spend time with people you know are close to God (praying and going to church a lot and caring about other people) in order to talk with them about things from the Bible and get their good influence. eg going to meetings at church, helping a friend when they cut the grass for an old lady in your town/street.
    it's very good you pray to God about it. next time you get a bad experience, pray the Lord's prayer (abana alathi) and read something from the Bible till it goes away.
    also superman(bam) is right, it's not the devil himself, he is too busy with presidents and church leaders etc, it will be one of the small demons, and none of them (nor the devil) have any power to hurt us, especially they cannot kill us or take us from God.
    whenever your mum gets grumpy, just say to yourself, oh she's grumpy again and try not to respond, just try to change the subject, make her a cup of tea or something. show her you care without words, but calmly refuse to get into another argument. it will take time to change the way you interact with her, but God will help you and you will be able to change it slowly.
    we will pray for you, may God give you His peace which is beyond all understanding
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just so you know, feeling an unknown presence during the night is actually a symptom of a sleep disorder - could have been brought about by stress. You should go to your doctor and mention it to him/her and see what they say.

http://www.healthcentral.com/sleep-disorders/c/46338/29895/paranormal

I'll certainly pray for you and your family in the mass tomorrow
    Hope that helps,
  • [quote author=ms_babylon link=topic=8292.msg105787#msg105787 date=1251330519]
    hello everyone, any responses would be greatly appreciated. To make a long story short..less than a year ago I lost my nine year old brother to a cancerous brain tumour. This hit my family really hard, especially my mom and I as we were were the main care providers for him and our lives have been greatly affected. My mom has changed alot and is always in an edgy mood. Ever since he passed away..she has made me feel, in a way responsible for his passing..its hard to describe..for instance making me feel guilty for not watching him enough or telling her if I suspected anything unusual. We constantly argue and I feel as if we'll never be ok with each other again.. Here's the problem..whenever we argue I tend to somehow shift the blame on God. I know this is wrong of me, but sometimes its just easier that way. I feel like my relationship with God is also breaking apart.. and whenever I pray I dont feel any connection with Him..like there's no point in praying..what can I do to restore it?? Sometimes..I also feel as if the devil comes to me during the night..its hard to describe..like i dont see him but I know its him and I feel very scared and then I make the sign of the cross and feel at peace...Im very scared and dont know what to do..

Hi Ms Babylon,

I'm really sorry about your situation. Just from reading your post, I think your parents should be so proud of you. You seem to be really mature. I'm certain anyone would be going through the same thing if it happened to them or if not, they'd be dealing with it in a much worse way.

Making you feel guilty about the death of your brother is hard to bear, especially if he has died of cancer.

Your situation really pains me actually, and I hardly know you.

I think your mother will get over it soon (the blaming u part). She will never forget her son, and she will one day realise that blaming u was wrong. I think, from personal experiences, that bad situations when they happen to you, do tend to naturally take you away from God. I don't deny that. But it is at a time like this that you should strive to be closer to Him.

Try not to answer your mother the next time she blames you. Do not say anything ; but you should pray for her that God comforts her.

I know what I'm saying is easier said than done... and I'm sorry for that. But I know that I do regret not seeking God in times of distress .

As for the devil coming at you night, that is so true. I think even the Church recognises this - if you read the Agpeya, it clearly asks God to allow this night to end in peace -as if the devil is the last person who wants that to happen.

Pray from the Agpeya at night before going to sleep.. perhaps just recite the midnight hour or something... I'm sure that will help. And I don't think you have a sleep disorder!
  • Try what one of the monks did in the desert....
    He had to sleep outside one night so he drew a circle and drew crosses on it and when he woke up he found foot prints of snakes and other animals coming just to the edge of the circle unable to enter and they left....

Try this, Sit on your bed and look at the four walls in your room and on each one draw the sign of the cross saying, I, by the Lords hand, have the power to tread on serpents scorpions and all the power of the enemy, SATAN BE GONE.

And go to sleep,
    Let's see him get past that!