donating organs

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello Everyone
What is the Orthodox church's stand on donating an organ ? Is it a sin or is it considered to be generousity ? Do we even have to the right (as a christian ) to give part of our body since our body belongs to christ ?
Thankyou in advance .

Comments

• [quote author=axum link=topic=8268.msg105534#msg105534 date=1250548651]
    Hello Everyone
    What is the Orthodox church's stand on donating an organ ? Is it a sin or is it considered to be generousity ? Do we even have to the right (as a christian ) to give part of our body since our body belongs to christ ?
    Thankyou in advance .

http://suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=1039&catid=539

What about the Church's view on Organ Donors? Is there any problem with it?

Organ transplants, such as skin grafting and blood transfusion from one human to another, have always been acceptable by the church. This is extended today to include kidney transplants, bone marrow transplant and others. However in these cases the life of the donor should be considered of equal importance as the recipient. Organ donation is considered an act of charity, fraternal love, and self-sacrifice. The Church encourages Christians to enroll as organ donors in case of a sudden accidental death when their valuable organs can save someone's life.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8268.msg105535#msg105535 date=1250549429]
    Organ donation is considered an act of charity, fraternal love, and self-sacrifice. The Church encourages Christians to enroll as organ donors in case of a sudden accidental death when their valuable organs can save someone's life.[/i]

Well said
  • Amen. My priest said the same thing. I actually asked him this question in church the other day during bible study and he said to be a donor. Which I never knew but it makes sense, if you die of a sudden accident and your organs can save a life which could give them a chance to repent and be saved with the time they have, why not? God certainly will not punish you for saving ones life, I mean that's the ultimate demonstration of LOVE.

Pray for me!

C
  • i agree this is all so very true
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=jibrahim23 link=topic=8268.msg105703#msg105703 date=1251147788]
    Nice explaination Mina. God has blessed you with knowledge.Let us all give thanks to God for everything.

hmmm....thanks!!! ;D :D ;)....
    but it wasn't really ME!!! it was HG bishop Youssef answer from SUSCOPTS.org Q & A...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.