I’m worried about our church in Egypt!!!

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Is it true that the Orthodox people in Egypt are decreasing in number? I heard on youtube that guy who called himself bishop Maximous that the orthodox people are fleeing from the church to islam or other churches???
Does anyone have information about this issue?

Comments

• Don;t listen to what he says

He ordained himself a bishop
  • Ive seen this b4 and this man is not to be trusted with anything he says. however yes we do have ppl who have left our church and converted to islam because of persecution and for money etc. As well as the fact that others are not close to the church and leave because they are forbidden things in the the orthodox church.  This man was a person who was trying to get ppl against our patriarch who was blessed by our lord and thats why this man didnt stand

May god bless his church and protect his believers
  • Romans 8:31

"If God is for us, who can be against us?"
  • [quote author=ebnyasoo3 link=topic=8181.msg104679#msg104679 date=1247761557]
    Don;t listen to what he says

He ordained himself a bishop

noo...let's be truthful.

he was ordained by a  phone call :D.

actually anba david was in my last sunday and he spoke about this and he included Max. He choose one iof the youngest shortest deacons around. like a 5 year old kid who is an epsaltos. his grace says "this epsaltos is higher in rank then Max who calls himself a priest" ;-)...that made my day sunday
  • thanks everyone.... I understand that this guy shouldn't be trusted.... I just wonder if the numbers he mentioned are right or not.... and if not, are lot of people in Egypt really leaving the coptic church or just few cases as usual?
  • mmm, perhaps this is a bit too much critism for a public forum.
    anyway, what i think he meant to say is that we can't just stand back complacently and think 'i was born coptic and baptised so i'm sorted'.
    from what i have seen, the church is doing ok, and the church in the diaspora is doing well.
    all my friend's churches are doing really well and hopefully i can visit them all one time
    (and perhaps stay there!)
    :)
  • The numbers that he speaks of may be close to true however they convert not becuz of wanting to convert but they convert becuz they are forced their daughters are raped and they are bribed or beaten etc. They also convert because being afraid of torture from the government. yet these numbers are no where near the number of muslims who converted to christianity.  God gave fr Zakaria and great talent and he ahs converted over 8 million muslims that have stated their faith in christianity. There are millions more that dont say anything

May god bless his children
  • Christianity is MUCH bigger than one guy... or even a whole religion i.e. Islam or whatever religion it is!

we worship the ALMIGHTY!!!!

its not the first, or the last time the church is/will be put in struggle... Our God is Great He takes care of us all!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah! 
  • I agree with all

I think that it is better when there are tribulations in Egypt because the people come closer to God and that way when people come from Egypt to the US or whatever country, they strenthen the people who live there.

So "All things work together for good to them that love God" Romans 8:28

God bless all
  • nobody please listen to this guy. this might be too much but to me he is like a "HERITIC".
    HE made HIMSELF A BISHOP CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?
  • You're scared for the churches in Egypt??? I am scared for the churches here in the U.S. I see so many coptic youth going away from church and im scared about the future of the church in america BUT I know God will never abandon His church
  • Yeah, "I Believe" you are right.
    May God bless His church where ever it is and support it to grow in His right path.
  • I Believe, i truly agree and i pray for this every day
  • many are leaving in ethiopia too. God cannot have fakes in His church, people looking for signs and wonders, so let them go we will always be here.nobody, not even hell will prevail against us!
  • good news for the church in north america:

this video from sept 08 was found by my friend, and shows jim baker, the architect of the prosperity gospel, which deceived a lot of american protestants, repenting of his sins, and saying the message he spread for so many years is false, and the true gospel tells us to suffer for Jesus.
    he spent 5 years in prison and took the opportunity to read the Bible all the time, and now he's out, he spends his time preaching against the false doctrine of his youth.
    he's nearly orthodox!
    ;)
  • That is not true, its actually growing
    Last Year, I saw the population of Orthodox christians in egypt 10%
    I checked last week, the population grew to 14%.
    That is true
    the_least
    I love that verse.
    Everybody, try to be optimestic, not pessimestic 
  • [quote author=Godislove_ link=topic=8181.msg104885#msg104885 date=1248376192]
    That is not true, its actually growing
    Last Year, I saw the population of Orthodox christians in egypt 10%
    I checked last week, the population grew to 14%.
    That is true
    the_least
    I love that verse.
    Everybody, try to be optimestic, not pessimestic 

despite all of that, the pope said MORE THAN ONCE on all of the shows they have him on egyptian tv we simply CANNOT have a set number of all copts.