Dioceses

This is a q i've had for a while... how are are dioceses formed, and by whom?
Does it depend on the need of the region and the number of people living there? or something else?

GBU & pray 4 me

Comments

• [quote author=egypt45 link=topic=8179.msg104650#msg104650 date=1247712516]
    This is a q i've had for a while... how are are dioceses formed, and by whom?
    Does it depend on the need of the region and the number of people living there? or something else?

GBU & pray 4 me

that's actually how they are formed. years ago there was less people and less churches around in one city where the older bishops with their diocese were huge as in number of cities but not in families and churches. now churches are being built, more people are being served, so diocese become bigger. now a diocese cannot be divided as long as the bishop is alive. A bishop's relationship to his diocese is like one between husband and wife. nothing separates them except departure. And we can see that when bishops depart. mostly their diocese are divide if it was big. Now new diocese are formed from nothing because new churches are being built in new countries and cities where there was no churches. That's why we were blessed by 7 new bishops and the enthronement of 2 general bishops this year. that's great.
  • thanks minagir for ur reply  :)

that's actually how they are formed. years ago there was less people and less churches around in one city where the older bishops with their diocese were huge as in number of cities but not in families and churches. now churches are being built, more people are being served, so diocese become bigger. now a diocese cannot be divided as long as the bishop is alive.

so does this mean there can be more than one bishop in the same region, if the diocese becomes bigger and more areas are added to it?
    also should there be a diocese everywhere there are copts?

thank you and GB
  • [quote author=egypt45 link=topic=8179.msg104653#msg104653 date=1247714448]
    so does this mean there can be more than one bishop in the same region, if the diocese becomes bigger and more areas are added to it?

well the definition of regions is differnt in this case. it's not geographically done but rather the need. also as i said, the diocese cannot be divided as long as the bishop is alive.

also should there be a diocese everywhere there are copts?

well, technically yes. for any church that have no bishop of full diocese yet they are under the pope's guidance.