English to Coptic

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey,

I need someone's help to translate "God bless you [Ramy] and [Caroline]"  into Coptic. And with transliteration (English pronunciation) as well.

Thanks.

Comments

• [coptic]Ceermunin@
    (ere) Vnou] `cmou erwten Rami nem Karolin[/coptic]
    It is translated
    (may) God bless you Ramy and Caroline
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • The transliteration (btw im just reading what ophadece said, not actually translating it) is ere efnouty esmo eroten Ramy nem Caroline.
  • Thank you!!!  :D
  • Dear maryam911 - please don't pay attention to what I will say now (unless you are deeply interested)
    Taishory,
    What do you think? An authentic Coptic fanatic like me would read it out as: ara ebnouda esmo erodan Ramy nam Caroline (based on what Fr. Shenouda teaches). Even Shenouda itself is not transliterated to Shenouti (the latter is a common mistake I believe). Please tell me what you think (and what you all think)...
  • haha ophadece, I have only heard one recording that speaks like that, and it's not common at any churches you visit. Although it's "technically" correct, people like to hear familiar words. I was just introduced to this authentic coptic recently, and I think we should introduce it (and teach it) to the churches. However, like I said, not many people know it so if you show the word efnouty to someone who just learned coptic they're more likely going to read it as efnouti instead of ebnouda. So I dont think it would make much sense to sing with a congregation ebnouda when everyone else is saying efnouty. Teach it first then use it. So let's stick to the words everyone is used to until this authentic coptic becomes more popular.

Peace.
  • Thanks taishory - diplomatic as well as practical
  • ⲙⲁⲣⲉ ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲥⲙⲟⲩ ⲉⲣⲟⲕ [ⲣⲁⲙⲓ] ⲛⲉⲙ ⲕⲁⲣⲟⲗⲓⲛ
    Transcription:
    mara ebnoudi smou arok rami nam karolin

Transliteration
    MaPE QNOYt CMOY EPOK RaMI NEM KaPO^IN
    according to Cop-Net transliteration scheme: http://www.coptic.net/articles/CopticAlphabet.txt (circa 1992)