Egyptians??

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I have always been wanting to ask someone this but no one seems to have the answer...

As Egyptians, what is our race? we r not White/Caucasian or Asian or Latin and not even Black/African, although Egypt is technically in Africa and no, we are not Arabs cause we are Christian. Muslims are the Arabs because of how islam originated.

Maybe I am understanding something wrong or maybe we dont have an identity to begin w/ hehe =]

Thanks guys
God Bless
please pray for me

Comments

• [quote author=Sheep Among Wolves link=topic=8034.msg103474#msg103474 date=1243174226]
    I have always been wanting to ask someone this but no one seems to have the answer...

As Egyptians, what is our race? we r not White/Caucasian or Asian or Latin and not even Black/African, although Egypt is technically in Africa and no, we are not Arabs cause we are Christian. Muslims are the Arabs because of how islam originated.

Maybe I am understanding something wrong or maybe we dont have an identity to begin w/ hehe =]

Thanks guys
    God Bless
    please pray for me

we are considered "White"  being part of the Middle East...and we are also considered African Being in Africa. I personally say Egyptian when i am asked and i put down "others" in any forms.
  • We are Not arabs.... Not middle Eastern.... Not (North) African.... Not white :)

We are Egyptians decendents from the Pharoes and as such a race of our own very distinct from the other surrounding civilisations
  • Some colleges like NJIT also include North African.

Many Egyptians are not white, although I think they include Middle-Eastern People in that category. I put African-American on my college apps because that is what I am--Egypt is in Africa. If they had Egyptian I would have put it. Besides, they see that my parents are from Egypt on another part anyways (sometimes).
  • I agree with user00. It says in Genesis 10, that both Egyptians and Blacks descended from Ham (Genesis 10:4----Cush is Ethiopia, Mizraim is Egypt, Put is Libya, and Canaan was the Canaanites who were killed). Middle Eastern people come from Sem and Asians and Whites and Native South Americans come from Japeth.

That being said, I'm quite proud of my African heritage and consider myself (at least partially) black.

• [quote author=Australian link=topic=8034.msg103484#msg103484 date=1243220617]
    I agree with user00. It says in Genesis 10, that both Egyptians and Blacks descended from Ham (Genesis 10:4----Cush is Ethiopia, Mizraim is Egypt, Put is Libya, and Canaan was the Canaanites who were killed). Middle Eastern people come from Sem and Asians and Whites and Native South Americans come from Japeth.

That being said, I'm quite proud of my African heritage and consider myself (at least partially) black.

when you say "black" you're considering your "skin color" not your nationality..... ;)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8034.msg103486#msg103486 date=1243221626]
    [quote author=Australian link=topic=8034.msg103484#msg103484 date=1243220617]
    I agree with user00. It says in Genesis 10, that both Egyptians and Blacks descended from Ham (Genesis 10:4----Cush is Ethiopia, Mizraim is Egypt, Put is Libya, and Canaan was the Canaanites who were killed). Middle Eastern people come from Sem and Asians and Whites and Native South Americans come from Japeth.

when you say "black" you're considering your "skin color" not your nationality..... ;)

You peples are confuzzling me even more hehe  :o Well I definitely am not black-- but we arent even Middle Eastern?? wow that leaves us with like nothing haha
    I understand that we are the descendants of the Pharoahs, the same people who had the Israelites enslaved but...

I am sorry I think I am just stupid

Maybe the answer lies in how Egyptian land was conquered cuz it is obvious that it is out of place in terms of geography
  • If the box says black, I wouldn't check it. But if it says African American/Black, I would.

Egypt is in Africa, although many Egyptians would not like to call themselves African-Americans (especially those directly from Egypt)

One time in school, kids gave the reason for forgetting Egypt is in Africa because was historically so much more advanced than the rest of Africa and I guess now because it is so different form the rest of Africa.

But in America, it does look better on things if you put African-American, and as an Egyptian-American, you have every right to put it.

Just a note though, if you are an Egyptian but have very pale skin and non-brown eyes, you are an exception. I know someone who put Af-Amer. and was of this description and the college people were furious at him and also took it as fraud. But if you're a typical, tan, brown-eyes, brown-haired Egyptian, you're completely safe and correct to put it. If you're other than that, you should be able to put it in theory, but from experience, be careful and watch out.
  • Who are the Arabs? Where did they come from? Are they descendants of Hagar/Ishmael or descendants of Keturah?
  • [quote author=Melchoir link=topic=8034.msg103500#msg103500 date=1243263208]
    Who are the Arabs? Where did they come from? Are they descendants of Hagar/Ishmael or descendants of Keturah?

Arabs are the Muslims-they are the descendants of Ismael and we (as Christians) are the sons and daughters of Isaac. "God's People" (who were the Jews but are now the Christians) have come from the line of Abraham AND Sarah's child, Isaac, whose son was Jacob and so on.
    Ismael was the son of Hagar, the servant and Abraham but God got mad at Abraham for not waiting for a son who would receive His blessing. Hagar and her son were kicked out of the house. As you can see, Ismael was that "ugly duckling" because neither God nor Abraham were happy. When Ismael and his mom left, all they had was the desert to go to. Ismael became that "rebel" living in the desert and had barbarian ways because of his fury. His descendants became Arabs, people who lived in the desert and stuff, until they started to conquer the Arabian lands and Mohammed came along and Islam formed.

On the other hand, the Jews were prospering from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. And now here we are, better than ever, Jews and Christians alike.

Nuff said. Sorry, I didnt mean to offend anyone or any religion.

BTW, who is Keturah-don't know him.

pray for me
    may the blessings and prayers of the Saints be with you forever, especially Baba Kyrillos, MeriMina and MeriGerges.
  • Many of the Arab people were Christians. There is a significant record of bishops of various Arab groups from the time of Nicaea through to that of the holy empress Theodora and beyond. These Christian groups also suffered from militant Islamic Arabs and Arabs should not be lumped together as all Muslim at this time. These Arabs were also sons of Isaac. One of these men, George, Bishop of the Arabs, wrote a homily on Saint Severus. He died in 724 AD, and therefore many decades after the Middle East had been conquered by the Islamic Arabs, yet he is still an Arab bishop of an Arab Christian community.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8034.msg103511#msg103511 date=1243273069]
    Many of the Arab people were Christians. There is a significant record of bishops of various Arab groups from the time of Nicaea through to that of the holy empress Theodora and beyond. These Christian groups also suffered from militant Islamic Arabs and Arabs should not be lumped together as all Muslim at this time. These Arabs were also sons of Isaac. One of these men, George, Bishop of the Arabs, wrote a homily on Saint Severus. He died in 724 AD, and therefore many decades after the Middle East had been conquered by the Islamic Arabs, yet he is still an Arab bishop of an Arab Christian community.

Father Peter

I dont know about you guys but I am very uncomfotable saying I am an African-American or an Arab, especially in America. I dont know-saying I am an Egyptian is a "colorful" enough response

• Well if people are happy describing themselves as Irish-Americans then there is no reason not to describe yourself as an Egyptian-American, or even a Coptic-American.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8034.msg103515#msg103515 date=1243281517]
    Well if people are happy describing themselves as Irish-Americans then there is no reason not to describe yourself as an Egyptian-American, or even a Coptic-American.

Father Peter

true, i guess i will forever be just Coptic, which encompasses both my nationality and religion
  • EGYPTIAN is a groupe by itself... ior COPT to be more like it...