Out of the Blue

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello,

I heard from our local priest in Margate (UK) that it was during the 40 days after the resurrection when our Lord Jesus Christ gave the disciples, the Church i.e. its rites, traditions and prayers.

At least I think that’s right.

But it would have taken years for Jesus to give the disciples all the different hymns and teach each of them all the tunes, melodies and seasons. So the hymns must be a disciple creation which is not original…

… or at least not from God.

Then why is it we use them, honor them, and generally spend so much time and effort into them, and include them in all our prayers, services etc. if God did not hand them over to us?

Personally, I find them quite difficult to grasp and to learn, and also find many lesser deacons and trainees around me despair and give-up on the faith due to the troubles of the hymns – some don’t have the gift of knowing and learning music readily.]

I’d rather filter the replies to this post – only non-experts – because I feel a teacher ‘mo’allem’ would give a very defensive reply and I’d like to hear what other people have to say before this thread, bursts with replies.

I know some administrator will probably ban me for filtering the replies – or at least at least attempting to do so, even though I have no real authority to do so.

Not boasting, but I’m pretty good at ‘alhan’ but not everyone is musically able etc. so that’s why I’m posting this.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not a missionary out to destroy hymns, and purge music from the Church but, I’m curious.

Please don’t give negative replies – I’m sure I’ve made some mistakes or invalid points in this post, send them via messages if you must.

Smile.

Comments

• Hello, you asked for a non-expert opinion, well, I don't think you can find someone who is less of an expert in hymns than me... :P

So first of all, I would like to point out that most lyrics hymns if not all are directly or indirectly taken from the Bible, which is the word of God, hence the hymns are carriers of the the word and teaching of our Lord. Many theological/dogmatic teachings are told in a simplified manner in hymns so that all can understand them...and for those who have theological knowledge they offer deeper meanings on which one can contemplate...

Secondly, praise and thanksgiving has been mentioned many many times in the Bible, especially the Psalms, so when we do Tasbeha (litterally: Praise) we are doing something Biblical, the tune we use, although not handed down by Jesus, is well thought out in the sence that we have faray7i tunes (joyful) and 7azaini (sad) tunes, each for different occasions.

We were never taught that knowing the hymns or being able to sing them well was a condition upon which our salvation depended.. hence, those of us who have difficulties learning the hymns are not 'in danger' if you will, they are not in sin
    But like anything, it needs practice and dedication to master... and those who do know them, find great richness and enjoyment in them

Also, it is not only the hymns that are important, it is the state of praise and thanksgiving that one should be in while reciting them...
    Praise is an important part of worship in which we join the angels and saints in exalting our Lord, Jesus Christ and thanking Him for what He does for us...

Gb
  • [quote author=epshiri link=topic=7972.msg102922#msg102922 date=1242047737]
    Hello,

I heard from our local priest in Margate (UK) that it was during the 40 days after the resurrection when our Lord Jesus Christ gave the disciples, the Church i.e. its rites, traditions and prayers.

At least I think that’s right.

But it would have taken years for Jesus to give the disciples all the different hymns and teach each of them all the tunes, melodies and seasons. So the hymns must be a disciple creation which is not original…

… or at least not from God.

Then why is it we use them, honor them, and generally spend so much time and effort into them, and include them in all our prayers, services etc. if God did not hand them over to us?

Personally, I find them quite difficult to grasp and to learn, and also find many lesser deacons and trainees around me despair and give-up on the faith due to the troubles of the hymns – some don’t have the gift of knowing and learning music readily.]

I’d rather filter the replies to this post – only non-experts – because I feel a teacher ‘mo’allem’ would give a very defensive reply and I’d like to hear what other people have to say before this thread, bursts with replies.

I know some administrator will probably ban me for filtering the replies – or at least at least attempting to do so, even though I have no real authority to do so.

Not boasting, but I’m pretty good at ‘alhan’ but not everyone is musically able etc. so that’s why I’m posting this.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not a missionary out to destroy hymns, and purge music from the Church but, I’m curious.

Please don’t give negative replies – I’m sure I’ve made some mistakes or invalid points in this post, send them via messages if you must.

Smile.

you have a reasonable question. hymns are NOT HANDED DOWN FROM TE APOSTLES. if so, all the apostolic churches would have the same ones......which they don't.

Hymns is a heritage. our coptic Church for example have a huge selections of hymns NOW, despite all those hymns that DIED with me and are in fact LOST. they reflect a way of prayer towards God. there are many verses in the Bible declare how much we should sing and praise our God in many ways. our hymns are just one major way of doing that.

when you use the word "honoring them"....i would say this is a little to much for them (despite that i actually do in a certain way). we keep them because they are our heritage. they became part of our Tradition. and we also do that now because those who put them are far more faithful people then we normally will get in our current world. like i was talking about this with someone and saying why make up a new tune for this specific part (a hymn text that lost it's tune). and i said that this can be.....but WHO WILL?!! who's good enough. the best we can do now is REVIVE what was lost first.
  • I would just like to add that St.Mark, when he came to preach in Egypt, made use of the traditions and things we had in Egypt. Some hymns are called melismatic, which means they are long and have lots of hazzat. This was classic ancient Egyptian way of singing. Some hymns were used in Pagan worhship so what happened when Egypt became Christian is that we kept some of the tunes, but changed the words.

For example,
    Eporo tune used to be said for the entrance of Pharaoh, the king, but the words were changed for Jesus, our king. Gholgotha also used to be said during burials of nobles, Pharaoh, etc.

But the hymns are very rich and I find that they have great depth in tune and in words, and when singing them, particularly the tasbeha, they have a cathartic effect.
  • Thanks people.

But Some of you were experts *sigh*

heh