Is it a sin to be fat?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Just kidding. Do you have any proverbs or sayings of the fathers for someone who feels like he has no reason to go on? For someone who is just waiting for his time?

Comments

• no, it's not sinful. but if you spend too much time eating it can lead to neglect of your spritual life.
    God loves you as you are and wants to talk with you every day. finding your identity in Him can lead to greater contentment and less need to eat all the time  :)
  • are you waiting for your time because you can't wait to go to heaven and be with God? or are you waiting for your time because you're fed up with life and you've lost hope in everything?
  • awwww... so no fat people in heaven? lol
  • I think it is a sin beacause you aren't taking care of your body, which God gave you. (Well not you, but who ever) unless you are fat  :P
  • hello there,
    i think that this topic may be an issue if you have no limit
    for example
    one of the fruits of the spirit is self control
    if you are eating too much wich is causing you to be fat, that means that there is no self control
    i also agree with marina008
    i heard from a priest once while he was talking to a girl that it is very important especially for girls to take care of their bodies
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=7959.msg102736#msg102736 date=1241724603]
    are you waiting for your time because you can't wait to go to heaven and be with God? or are you waiting for your time because you're fed up with life and you've lost hope in everything?

What if its a mixture of the two? Or at times one prevailing over another?

[quote author=100%4JESUS link=topic=7959.msg102748#msg102748 date=1241747692]
    i heard from a priest once while he was talking to a girl that it is very important especially for girls to take care of their bodies
    Why only girls in particular? Whats the reasoning?

please pray for me
    -a sinner
  • If being fat is a sin, Then most of the father are sinners...as most of them are overweight.

Anyway i dont think so...GOD WANTS YOUR SPIRIT and not your appearance.
  • I really love chubby people.

Especially a priest/bishop who is Chubby. Can you imagine anba Boulis of Africa if he was thin?? It wouldnt work. He is so wonderful the way he is. Look at anba Youannis... he's chubby...

In fact, it is a sign of success as it costs extra also to be chubby.

So, no, its not a sin to fat. Not at all. Its a sin not to use your fatness to serve God.
  • concerning the fatness thing... only you can decide if it is a sin or not...remember a sin is missing the mark...are you missing the mark or not? Also, remember what St. Paul says in Romans 8:13
    "For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

and in Galations 6:8
    "For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life."

and concerning this:

[quote author=Joyful in Him link=topic=7959.msg102751#msg102751 date=1241758317]
    [quote author=the_least link=topic=7959.msg102736#msg102736 date=1241724603]
    are you waiting for your time because you can't wait to go to heaven and be with God? or are you waiting for your time because you're fed up with life and you've lost hope in everything?

What if its a mixture of the two? Or at times one prevailing over another?

well the second one (waiting for your time because you're fed up with life and you've lost hope in everything) is bad because of what St. Paul says in Romans 14:8
    "For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s."

the first one (waiting for your time because you can't wait to go to heaven and be with God) is good, i think, as long as you you're not just sitting around waiting but trying your best to get there and finding joy in doing it because you're spending time with God. St. Paul says in Galations 6:9
    "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."

• Hang on a second... someone can be naturally fat (chubby) simply because of genetics. Some people have a slower metabolism than others, and so burn food at a much less reduced pace.

I think if you are overweight/chubby etc, and it is because you are eating to avoid a problem, or eating because you are constantly depressed - I am sure this isn't right. In this case, you need to perhaps seek treatment. However, if you eat normally, and find yourself chubby. then i think it is OK.

What does everyone else think
  • I agree with QT, some people have issues that are medical or genetic and find themselves naturally overweight without eating unhealthy or abnormally on their part. I'm sure lack of exercise is an issue too but at the same time there are some who eat like the world is about to end yet never gain weight. So genetics do play a role in this.
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=7959.msg102743#msg102743 date=1241737595]
    awwww... so no fat people in heaven? lol

hmm
  • [quote author=Adomad link=topic=7959.msg102792#msg102792 date=1241827397]

does anyone think i can persuade gad into thinking i'm big boned  :D

I dont think we should be joking about our eternal life that way.
  • This is one topic I will never tire of reading about and investigating. In my limited experience with friends and relatives, I've found that the plump ones are generally more gracious, generous, tolerant. Just to share some stuff I came across online in the course of my struggles.....

On one hand you have the fitness freaks who spend time, money,effort, blood,sweat, tears etc. to get that perfect physique. This is for them.............

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying around hospitals, dying of nothing. - Unknown

And on the other hand, for strugglers like me the following applies.................

[u]Your conscience never stops you from doing anything, it just stops you from enjoying it - Unknown

[u]I can resist anything except temptation - unknown

[u]The fool that eats till he is sick must fast till he is well. - George W. Thornbury

[u]Glutton: one who digs his grave with his teeth. - French Proverb

[u]The miser and the glutton are two facetious buzzards: one hides his store, and the other stores his hide.- Josh Billings

[u]Gluttony is an emotional escape, a sign something is eating us. Peter De Vries

GBU,
    R
  • [quote author=rpm link=topic=7959.msg102807#msg102807 date=1241863901]
    This is one topic I will never tire of reading about and investigating. In my limited experience with friends and relatives, I've found that the plump ones are generally more gracious, generous, tolerant. Just to share some stuff I came across online in the course of my struggles.....

On one hand you have the fitness freaks who spend time, money,effort, blood,sweat, tears etc. to get that perfect physique. This is for them.............

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying around hospitals, dying of nothing. - Unknown

And on the other hand, for strugglers like me the following applies.................

[u]Your conscience never stops you from doing anything, it just stops you from enjoying it - Unknown

[u]I can resist anything except temptation - unknown

[u]The fool that eats till he is sick must fast till he is well. - George W. Thornbury

[u]Glutton: one who digs his grave with his teeth. - French Proverb

[u]The miser and the glutton are two facetious buzzards: one hides his store, and the other stores his hide.- Josh Billings

[u]Gluttony is an emotional escape, a sign something is eating us. Peter De Vries

GBU,
    R

Hey RPM,

What's wrong with people who take care of their health RPM?

You know, our bodies really are the temple of the Holy Spirit, so we should take care of them. Smoking, drinking, taking drugs, eating unhealthy food and becoming ill are completely wrong.

And I will respond to you with one well known Egyptian Saying:

In a healthy body, there is a healthy mind.

Sure, I agree, I have done a survey of all bishops and found the plump ones are the kindest. I don't know why. Those who are tall and thin cause nothing but trouble.

• Dear QT,
            You know I was just being light-hearted. As we all know, striking a balance is required and this balance is a subjective matter.

The obese, depressed guy who habitually seeks comfort and pleasure in overeating, drinking, smoking or doing drugs is guilty of "sins of the flesh".

In equal measure, so is a "healthy" muscular guy pumped up with steroids, walking down the street, virtually demanding attention from onlookers.

Both guys can rationalize and justify their actions. But if their motives are misguided, if they seek to gratify their desires any which way, then I'd say they are both wrong.

GBU,
    R
  • I recommend the site
    http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/depression_fr_stephen.htm

More so I recommend this book highly

http://www.amazon.com/Conquering-Depression-Heavenly-Illumined-Teachers/dp/0938635956

Read as much spiritual books as possible and pray. James said if anyone is suffering let him pray.

Why do you not want to live life?  Its sad to hear that you feel this bad.
    I have had clinical depression before but you may not have this.

The bible says delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart. The good shepherd leads me beside good pastures.. He delights my soul.. I am quoting some psalms.. you have also delivered me and set me in a broad place.

• The whole idea is to keep a balance between keeping your body healthy and your spirit to.
  • EVERYONE, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES. NEXT TIME PLEASE READ THE WHOLE QUESTION AND NOT JUST THE TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • [quote author=dumdum link=topic=7959.msg102730#msg102730 date=1241721850]
    Just kidding. Do you have any proverbs or sayings of the fathers for someone who feels like he has no reason to go on? For someone who is just waiting for his time?

Basically, the title had nothing to do with the question!?

lol...