Is Egypt more spritual than USA?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi, do you think Egypt is more spiritual than USA? I always hear that the church is very pure because of the persecutaion, but shouldn't it be less spiritual since they have all that Islam? In America we have atheists and protestants which is bad, but at least they're not worshiping false gods.
What do you think?
I'm thinking about moving to Egypt for spirtual reasons.

Comments

• I don't think you should be asking which place is more spiritual, but asking how you can be more spiritual where you are.

I remember that when I was in Senegal for some months I was alone in a local village and I was sitting watching the local people in the farms, wishing that I had brought a particular book about prayer with me. After a little while it struck me as a terrible thing that I wished to be reading about prayer instead of taking the opportunity of just praying.

The western monks would take a vow of stability, which meant that they would abandon the thought of moving from place to place seeking greener grass. And many of the Desert monks were instructed by their fathers to go back to their cells, shut the door, and stay there, rather than keep wondering about whether some other place was more spiritual.

Of course there may be very good reasons for moving from one place to another, but God is the same. His grace is the same. You can become a saint in the US as much as anywhere else if you give yourself entirely and heroically to God.

Do not ask which country is more spiritual, but ask God how you should be living where you are right now.

Best wishes and God bless

Father Peter
  • Actually, I've lived in Egypt and in the U.S. and I do think that the church in Egypt is more spiritual. I don't think its just persecutions that make the church what it is in Egypt, I think its more of the type of environment and people's attitudes toward church in general. there's more reverence and fear of God......and there are more ways to get involved and more opportunities to learn about God and go in depth with your spiritual life.
    This maybe just my opinion.
    I would think twice about moving to Egypt though.....the transition will be very difficult for you. Egypt is nothing like the U.S.
  • Here is the difference between the the U.S.A. and Egypt. If you look at the USA you see that it is well advanced in media, technology and so one. But the KEY thing about the US is that to me I see that the US is becoming very Liberal quickly. In Egypt, yes it is advancing in media, technology and etc. but not on the pace that the US is and it's still a conservative country. I mean you don't hear about Homosexuals protesting outside an Egyptian government building. Now I also agree with Fr. Peter it shouldn't matter where you are. God is everywhere He is the same God that is in Egypt as here. But I do understand how the environment affects people. For example, Coptic youth are definitely bombarded with things like alcohol, drugs, sex and so on more than a youth from Egypt. But you can still attain the same spiritualltiy here and in Egypt.

Pray for me
    I Believe
  • Be aware you're comparing two totally different countries in traditions, values, and also religions. It's very hard to make a comparison between the two. Also keep in mind that God is everywhere and we're very thankful that our church could reach out in the USA. There will always be distractions because that's what the devil is all about. You'll find more distractions in the USA most definitely but after few years, the same distractions will appear in Egypt. No matter how you'll compare and contrast, it comes down to how spiritual you can be anywhere. Just like how Father Peter explained in his response.
  • If you think the Church in Egypt is more pure because of the persecutions of Islam there are also persecutions in USA, just a different type. also, remember that God will always give you a cross to carry that is your size, no less and no greater wherever you are. If you think the church in Egypt is more spiritual because of the larger congregation and more activities and more spiritual people, remember that it's not about all this. a spiritual man lets his spirit guide his body and soul and nourishes the spirit with any resources he has (correct me if i'm wrong). it's about your relationship with your heavenly Father whether you live USA or in Egypt whether you live in a castle or a cell in the desert.

However, if God wants you in Egypt for whatever reason, by all means go for it. as long as it's God who wants and not only you who wants. sometimes you may think that if you do something it will benefit you spiritually when really it may only become a stumbling block. if this thought is from God, go for it, if not then don't.

pray for me
  • I've heard from some people the opposite, that people in the USA are closer to God than some in Egypt. This is because we are a minority in the USA and because churches are smaller, there is more intimacy between the clergy (priests & bishops) and the people than would be possible in Egypt.

For me personally, I like the US better for this reason. The priest and the bishop know my name, my family, and they are much more accessible to us. There is more bonding between church members because of the smaller congregations.

Anyway, as others have said, it is not the location, but yourself and God. You can't run away from God or from yourself or from temptation or from spiritual distractions (completely, anyway) so there is no point to move really.
  • The Christ arose Himself!

neither is Egypt holy nor is the U.S. of A. the question you should ask yourself, is my heart "spiritual"? all these countries are mere places... even Jerusalem, not only that but even churches, and monasteries are mere places... is your heart spiritual? is God present in you heart? does He live there in peace... or do you keep pushing Him out for the sake of sin?! that's the questions you should ask!

Truly The Christ arose Himself!

akhadna el baraka... Neshkor Allah!
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=7867.msg102164#msg102164 date=1240432888]
    This is because we are a minority in the USA and because churches are smaller, there is more intimacy between the clergy (priests & bishops) and the people than would be possible in Egypt.

maybe in oklahoma
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=7867.msg102164#msg102164 date=1240432888]

For me personally, I like the US better for this reason. The priest and the bishop know my name, my family, and they are much more accessible to us. There is more bonding between church members because of the smaller congregations.

I go to a big church here in the U.S and it is the exact opposite of what you described. Many are finding that the priests have no time, the congregation only knows one another on a surface level, and no real relationships are built. I guess it depends where in the U.s you are and the type of church. I do agree that moving to Egypt to find God is kind of extreme....that God is everywhere. but I think even though God is everywhere, sometimes the environment you're in helps to guide you or at times push you to the right direction.
  • As long as protestants are not protesting against orthodoxy.. I think they are a bunch of nice people. But ive only met some people to know exacly how this church influences them. Some of them are non denominational.

They also have wisdom.. But they do not know the whole truth.

How can we get more protestants to consider orthodoxy?

Is it possible for God to convert the whole world back to the orthodox faith?

• hi, mikeforjesus
    yes i also noticed dumdum mentioned protestants and atheists in the same breath. thanks for sticking up for them!  :)
    i also think to say it 'is bad' to have protestants is a bit extreme, although i know some protestants give the others a bad name by making lots of money on tv etc. (is this what you mean, dumdum?)

many protestants are considering orthodoxy, and some catholics. when it is considered that you are not going straight to hell for being protestant, this is the first step!
    some antiochian orthodox churches in USA and a few of the others are about half full of 'converts' now.

btw, it is best to call someone a 'convert' if they have converted from atheism or another religion and to say they 'changed' their denomination if they were previously catholic or protestant.
    this is the second step! don't treat them like everything they previously heard about God was 100% rubbish.

for me, it was my desire to see more church unity that kept me searching and the love of the orthodox Christians i met and their passion for sharing Christianity with all they met that brought me to the deep fulfilment in Christ i now experience in the coptic orthodox church.
    so, network, share the faith, love people, they will see Christ in you  :)
  • See , ive seen this with alot of people.

MORE SPIRITUAL? are we talking about A) the number of people who are spiritual compared to egypt...B)or are we comparing how spiritual an egyptian person is compared to a person in america...

I think You are talking about B.

Well im not sure...I dont know how to see whose more spiritual than who just by attending church and see if people pray/understand what is said/sing along with the hymns.

I Think I can see whose more spiritual than who if i just ask these 3 Questions :
    DO YOU LOVE GOD?
    WHY?
    WHAT DO YOU INTEND TO DO TO PLEASE GOD?

• hi dears, i think Egypt of course more spiritual than USA because Egypt  build with out technology and science. so i think if they are know about this things they must genius than than us. 8)
    ____________________________________________________________________________
  • what does technology have anything to do with spirituality?