Biggest Sinner ... is there hope?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
hi.. i was raised in a really good family, but years ago, i met this guy and fell in the sin of fornication.
at that time, i stopped seeing him and truly repented with all my heart and became so close to God.

But i dont know why i am such a bad person, beacause after that, i met other guys and did it again!!! i am so ashamed and disguisted in my self.

i am especially upset that i did this after i really felt Gods forgiveness and presence in my life. so i just basically gave that all up!!

do u think there is hope for me? Will God forgive me over and over for committing the same sin?? even though i know very well that what im doing is wrong?

im really scared because i want to repent and live a good life, but im not feeling God's presence in my heart like i did before...

please help me.. is there hope for me????

Comments

• when i went to the California Monastary.. a monk gave us this nice perspective...

When a baby fills its diapers, the mother doesn't just throw out the baby... she throws the diapers away. This would be like God... he wants to get rid of the sin.. not u...

So of course there is Hope... you just have repent, pray, and when you want to stay away from these sins, you must have the feeling that you have the Holy Spirit in you.. God will never leave you, he wants you to come to him.
  • Hi Ashamed,

You are definitely not alone. I've felt EXACTLY the same many many times. Very, very fearful that the last mistake I made would be the end of me, that God could not possibly forgive me because I have done the SAME sin again and again and again, thinking that I've repented each time, but wondering how I really could've repented if I keep doing it. Well the thing that constantly shocks me is that Jesus has always taken me back. If I could give you one word of advice, its persevere. Just don't give up. Satan wants you to think that you have committed more than Jesus can forgive, but that is simply false.

"You may be sighing and groaning because of inbred sin, and mourning over your darkness, yet the Lord sees the "light" in your heart, for He has put it there, and all the cloudiness and gloom of your soul cannot conceal your light from His gracious eye. You may have sunk klow in despondency, and even despair; but if your soul has any longning towards Christ, and if you are seeking to rest in His finished work, God sees the "light". He not only sees it, but He also preserves it in You." --Spurgeon

That got me through a very tough time when I was feeling very similar to you. Just don't give up. It says somewhere in Proverbs that "A righteous man may fall seven times a day and rise again." Keep on getting up. The fact that you WANT to repent and you WANT to change is a sign that you're spiritual life is not over. Thankfully, God is merciful, He understands that we can be idiots for no particular reason, and He sympathises with our weakness. If he didn't, ALL of us would have no hope.

PS:another thing that has always helped me is interceding through St. Mary, she is beyond incredible. I've had some truly amazing experiences when I've asked for her help.

God bless You

• start going to church too. if u r not ready to take communion etc, just go and don't take it, and if anyone bugs you just tell them 'i have some things on my mind and just need to pray about it and i'll take communion soon'.
    i have seen lots of people having similar problems to you and not going to church to avoid people doing their head in about why they are not 'acting properly'.
    well it's better to get your heart sorted with God than to 'act properly'.
    obviously you also need to take a break in the relationship where you spend NO time alone together and don't call each other, until you are both sorted out.

if you 'give in' to your boyfriend, you are putting his spiritual life in danger as well as your own. so if he is putting on pressure just think of him turning away from God and going to hell and obviously you don't want that.
    no-one (that I know anyway) is strong enough to be in this situation, spend time alone with their boyfriend/girlfriend and still not sin. so putting some distance between you will help your spiritual life a lot.
    so, really, read the Bible and go to church. if their are serious problems in your church, go to another church. (i know someone who had to do this, i won't go into details, but whose spiritual life is now much better).
    just don't let the enemy tell you it is too late and there is no point reading the Bible and going to church.
    that is a LIE FROM THE devil.

i was praying for you today (before logging into this page) and i really want to tell you not to believe the lie from the devil. there are far more people than you know who have had the same or similar problems, some who are now posting really wonderful encouraging stuff on this website.
    so take the first step and get to know about God and to know God in a new way, with lots of Bible study and prayer.
    Hebrews 12 is a good place to start studying, chapters 10 and 11 will also help.
    we will pray for you.
    please also pray for me in my weakness
  • Doesn't it say in the Bible that people should not keep company with someone like me?
    does that mean that I should leave my house??? because my parents are sinning by being in the same house as me and eating with me.

i am meant to be outcast from the community i think that is what the Bible says.
  • Dear Ashamed

The very fact that you feel sorrow for your sin is a sign that God is at work in you and has not abandoned you.

Indeed He became man like us, yet without sin, because He loves each one of us, even though we are sinners.

Your feelings of repentance show that God is very close to you, even though your sins have clouded your spiritual vision.

Now is the time to have faith and stretch out your hand, as St Peter reached out to Christ as he was sinking in the waters of Galilee. The strong arms of our Lord and God and Saviour are there to catch you.

The Lord says, to you and I, 'Come to me, those of you who are tired and feel like you are carrying a great burden, and I will give you rest'.

Spend some time with the Lord today. Do not worry about feelings. They are a poor guide to our spiritual state. But offer some time and attention to God. Pray the prayers of the Agpeya so that you have a structure to your prayers, add your own words of repentance and sorrow for sin, and have faith that the God who loves you will not cast you away.

May the Lord bless you richly and make you aware of His love for you, and give you the strength to overcome this sin in your life.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Ashamed link=topic=7802.msg101661#msg101661 date=1239173413]
    Doesn't it say in the Bible that people should not keep company with someone like me?
    does that mean that I should leave my house??? because my parents are sinning by being in the same house as me and eating with me.

i am meant to be outcast from the community i think that is what the Bible says.

[b]Dear Ashamed,

Our Lord is merciful, loving and amazing, this has been said about Him:
    "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them."
    He loves us just the way we are, no matter how sinful, look what He does when His lost son/daughter returns, even when he/she smells bad and his/her clothes are dirty:

"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.[b]'

22"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring [b]the best robe and put it on him
    . Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

Look at our good Shepherd, this is how He feels when He finally finds His lost sheep, He is happy, He is welcoming, He will not rebuke you or make you feel worse, He will only take you in and clean you and put the best clothes on your back, that's what He does with all of us, sinners, when we go back to Him..

'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' 7I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.[/b][/b]

God bless you
    Please pray for my weakness

• Read Micah 7

Here's some comforting excerpts:

Verse 8
    "Do not rejoice over me my enemy
    When I fall, I will arise
    When I sit in darkness
    The Lord will be a light to me"

Verses 18-19
    "Who is a God like You,
    Pardoning Iniquity
    And passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage?

He does not retain His anger forever,
    Because He delights in mercy.

He will again have compassion on us,
    And will subdue our iniquities.

You will cast all our sins
    Into the depths of the sea."

If that's not comforting (coming from the Old Testament too!), then I don't know what is. God earnestly waits for our return. We all fall in despair at some point or another. Despair is the sin that the devil wants us to fall into more than any other-- fornication, murder, theft. Because only when we lose hope do we lose. As long as there is hope, there is a reason to fight on. Read 2 Corinthians 6, read when it says if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things have passed away, behold, all things have been made new.

We can be made new. There is always hope. I strongly strongly strongly suggest that you read the Confessions of St. Augustine. Not only did he commit fornication, but he was also a heretic. You really see God mercy in his life as he recounts his life.

Talk with your Father of Confession or the priest of your church. He will receive you lovingly, especially if you are repentant or want to repent. Go to the Church, which is Noah's Ark--and whoever enters it will be saved from the flood and destruction that is outside.

God bless you.
  • i agree with user00
    the confessions of st augustine are cool, i haven't finished them yet.
    his life story is here
    http://www.staugustinecc.com/life_of_st_augustine.htm
    and on lots of other sites
    he lived in 300s, he had a Christian mum and a pagan dad (his parents were rich so would have had an arranged marriage. some parents arranged marriages for their children that did not take into account their religion, that's why u this happened in the past).
    he lived in what is now algeria and left behind his mum's advice to study pagan philosophy and have lots of women.
    he met various Christians but it took ages before he admitted he was wrong and repented.
    then he became very devout and eventually became a bishop.
    may God guide you