good friday foods

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi guys,
somebody asked me this question and I just wanted to throw it out there and see what you think...
why do most egyptians cook fool nabet and ta3meya and eat cucumbers on good friday after the liturgy to break their fast ? is there a symbolism in those foods?
for example, i know we drink vinegar because Christ did on the cross....but i'm not sure about the other stuff.

Thanks, and God bless

remember my weakness in your prayers

Comments

• This is what culture did to our church, and even more in America. We are suppost to go out after church not breaking our fast, but joyful because our salvation. Just think about it He was just crucified, how can we pray for hours, reach a high spiritual level and eat.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=7785.msg101431#msg101431 date=1238509318]
    This is what culture did to our church, and even more in America. We are suppost to go out after church not breaking our fast, but joyful because our salvation. Just think about it He was just crucified, how can we pray for hours, reach a high spiritual level and eat.

who said not to break your fast. you are supposed to break your fast to be ready for Bright saturday night. actually it's written in the book pascha books that "the people go and rest to be ready for bright saturday" drinking vinegar is actually written in the book to. so by drinking vinegar you break your fast. don't you?!

[quote author=omelnour link=topic=7785.msg101429#msg101429 date=1238506976]
    Hi guys,
    somebody asked me this question and I just wanted to throw it out there and see what you think...
    why do most egyptians cook fool nabet and ta3meya and eat cucumbers on good friday after the liturgy to break their fast ? is there a symbolism in those foods?
    for example, i know we drink vinegar because Christ did on the cross....but i'm not sure about the other stuff.

Thanks, and God bless

what's weird is that i've never heard about those customs before on good friday. it's weird because those are normal typical seyamee food (except for the fool-nabet).
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=7785.msg101431#msg101431 date=1238509318]
    This is what culture did to our church, and even more in America. We are suppost to go out after church not breaking our fast, but joyful because our salvation. Just think about it He was just crucified, how can we pray for hours, reach a high spiritual level and eat.

what do you mean this is what culture did? we are "joyful because our salvation" and we celebrate by eating after fasting all day long.....how is that breaking our high spiritual level?
    would you rather us celebrate by continuing our fast until saturday?
  • Just one note, the early church actually did fast from Good Friday until after the Resurrection liturgy so there is precedent for this. There are people who even do this today, although obviously it is not common practice. Just wanted to say it's not mandatory to break the fast after the Good Friday service, but I'm sure all of you knew that.

Pray for me
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=7785.msg101435#msg101435 date=1238513019]
    Just one note, the early church actually did fast from Good Friday until after the Resurrection liturgy so there is precedent for this. There are people who even do this today, although obviously it is not common practice. Just wanted to say it's not mandatory to break the fast after the Good Friday service, but I'm sure all of you knew that.

Pray for me

can you provide us with a source please. Father writing.
  • Father Lev Gillet, writing as 'a Monk of the Eastern Church' says..

The Lenten Fast originates in the total fast observed in the second and third centuries on Good Friday and Holy Saturday. This two day fast indicated the absence of Christ from the time of his death to his resurrection.

Hugh Wybrew in Orthodox Lent, Holy Week and Easter says..

On Holy Friday and Holy Saturday as strict an observance as possible is encouraged.

In the Handbook to Christian and Ecclesiasticl Rome the author says..

In the first two centuries the Paschal fast proper consisted of 24 or 40 hours of entire abstinence from food, namely from Holy Friday to the morning of Sunday.

Tertullian, writing in the 3rd century describes the Church fasting during the time 'the Bridegroom is taken away'.

It is clear that there was a variety of practices, but from early times it would seem the first practice was a very strict fast on Friday and Saturday.

Father Peter
  • I think we eat fool nabet because fool nabet is when fool (beans) is left and it starts to grow a plant, i guess, and i think this represents the new life that Jesus gave to us when he died on the cross

My guess about cucumbers is that they're green and that also has to do with new life.
  • [quote author=omelnour link=topic=7785.msg101429#msg101429 date=1238506976]
    Hi guys,

Thanks, and God bless

Hey
    I just wanted to say something,My dad said we dont have to drink Vinegar because Christ did just tasted it not drunk it.
    Sorry if someone said this already...
    With breaking the Fast ive never heard of it...