Paradise/Heaven and Hades/Hell

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Can someone explain this whole belief of Paradise/Heaven and Hades/Hell?
I always thought that when we die, we either go to Paradise or Hades, but when Jesus comes again at His Second Coming He will take those in Paradise and bring them to Heaven and condemn those who are in Hades into Hell.
Is that right and could someone please explain this belief in greater detail?

please pray for me and my weakness!

Comments

• [quote author=egyboy link=topic=7760.msg101207#msg101207 date=1237854503]
    Can someone explain this whole belief of Paradise/Heaven and Hades/Hell?
    I always thought that when we die, we either go to Paradise or Hades, but when Jesus comes again at His Second Coming He will take those in Paradise and bring them to Heaven and condemn those who are in Hades into Hell.
    Is that right and could someone please explain this belief in greater detail?

please pray for me and my weakness!

that is exactly right.
  • but why? what is the difference between Paradise and Heaven and between Hades and Hell?
  • This has confused me for a while!

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but I need this cleared up. If those who are in Paradise go to Heaven after Second Coming, when are they judged to be sent to Paradise? Doesn't this completely demote the idea of the Judgement at the Second Coming?? And once you die, wouldn't you already know where you are going? Sorry for the annoying questions, it's just always bothered me, but I never asked for some reason.
  • I'm pretty sure that when you die you will go to either Paradise or Hades (God forbid). So you are judged when you die. Then at the Second Coming, Christ will come bring the people in Paradise into Heaven and those who are in Hades will go to Hell.

I hope that was clear enough but none of us can be really clear on a topic we have never experienced ourselves!

please pray for me and my weakness!!!
  • this has always confused me too...

if what you say is right, what does it mean when Abouna says in the mass "he descended into hades through the cross"?

thanks and pray for my weakness
  • Christ went down into Hades to save those who were worthy enough to enter Paradise. Those prophets from the Old Testament all went to Hades because the gates of Paradise had not been opened until Christ's death.

so does anyone know the difference between Paradise and Heaven and between Hades and Hell?

please pray for me and my weakness!!
  • Here is a link that explains the difference between hades and hell, which are a commonly confused terms.
    http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/carlton/hell_a_modest_proposal/

In Christ
    Theophilus  :)
  • I have not listened to the link yet, and thank you for everyone for posting. But not to be rude but I think you aren't completely correct. There will be one Judgment, on the last day for those who are dead and living.

Revelation 20:12 (New King James Version)

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

So this still does not answer my previous post? Sorry for being annoying, it's just I had an entire retreat about Revelation and am more comfortable with the subject now, but I never asked Abouna this question while we were there, shame on me!
  • Tishori, you have to understand that the book of Revelation has deep deep symbolism, that simple verse can mean a multitude of things. It can be taken literal or symbolic, which is the way to take it, knowing that this book is nearly completely symbolic?
  • Hey jydeacon!

I know that the Book of Revelation is very symbolic, but also has many literal things, and we studied most sections of it on my retreat with Abouna. But it surprised me how many things are definite and literal. This verse is one of them, and is one of the cornerstones of the Orthodox Teaching. There is one Resurrection, and One Judgment. It is very important when dealing with this book to study and as you said, be able to differentiate between symbols and the literal things that have been interpreted by our church fathers. Thank you and I hope that I haven't misspoken.

Pray for my weakness.
  • Complete and final judgement will occur only on Judgement Day. Based on God's complete knowledge of your life and your heart, you will be either sent to Paradise or Hades (God forbid). However, the universal judgement which all of us know about, where the "Book of Life" will be opened, will only happen on Judgement Day.

So, you might say, what is the purpose of Judgement Day? Well, there a has to be a day where all of those people who ever existed join together in one place. That topic is a long one whose explanation has nothing to do with this question.
  • [quote author=Tishori link=topic=7760.msg101211#msg101211 date=1237855463]
    This has confused me for a while!

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but I need this cleared up. If those who are in Paradise go to Heaven after Second Coming, when are they judged to be sent to Paradise? Doesn't this completely demote the idea of the Judgement at the Second Coming?? And once you die, wouldn't you already know where you are going? Sorry for the annoying questions, it's just always bothered me, but I never asked for some reason.

Maybe a small analogy can help us understand better what judgement means:
    Imagine there's a huge exam coming up, and there's student A and B.
    Student A has studied the entire year and made the exam succesfully and has a good feeling after the exam. He basically knows he'll pas, he's just granted some time to wait and rest untill the definitive results will be announced.
    Student B hasn't studied and went to the exam really really scared and worried, he messed up greatly and left the exam in distress and sorrow. He now will be waiting also for the result, but he feels he didn't do so well, and in the meantime is constantly rebuking himself: if i had just studied and not waisted all year doing useless things, i'd have been able to do the exam way better.

Then the day comes when the results appear, and yes student A passes and B failes. Even though they kinda knew what was coming, there is a special joy for the student who passed cause now it's 100% sure and it's been announced publicly, the exampaper was handed back to him and everybody could see his grade. The opposite is true for student B, the definitive failure is announced to all and any hope that he could have (maybe i just passed, with even just enough credits) fades away.

Of course this is just an analogy, and there might be some things in this story that can help us understand something more about the state of the people in the afterlife, and the meaning of judgement. However, don't take it too literally as well, just as with any analogy.

One final thing, Hades and Paradise are waiting places (or states as some might argue), it's a place for the SOUL (the body is lying dead in the dust), while Heaven/Hell are the definitive place the people will enter after the day of the General Resurrection when the Soul and Body will meet again, the Judgement will occur, and the New Heaven and New Earth will be revealed.

I hope this was helpfull!

I wish all a blessed Lent (just a few more weeks :D)
  • Also if i may add,

Heaven is different than Paradise in the fact that (correct me if i am wrong) God's throne is not in Paradise the St.s till this day do not sit in the Presence or our LORD like the book of Revelations describes it in Heaven.

Pray for me
  • egyboy, I hope you dont mind. I have a question to add along the same line.

Time is a man created thing. God does not have time. Therefore the past, present, and future is unfolded in front of Him. (my question is based on if this is true)
    The day we die from this world, would it be the day we go to heaven/hell? Because from my understanding "waiting" place also implies the concept of time. However, the existence of paradise/hades is fact because it is mentioned in the Bible. So how does it all really work? I would like to understand if somebody can help.  It is an insignificant point for spiritual growth, and I should always strive my best to please God regardless of the answer of this, but I am just curious.

Thanks in advance

please keep my weakness in your prayers
    -your sister in Christ
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=7760.msg101274#msg101274 date=1237960567]
    egyboy, I hope you dont mind. I have a question to add along the same line.

Time is a man created thing. God does not have time. Therefore the past, present, and future is unfolded in front of Him. (my question is based on if this is true)
    The day we die from this world, would it be the day we go to heaven/hell? Because from my understanding "waiting" place also implies the concept of time. However, the existence of paradise/hades is fact because it is mentioned in the Bible. So how does it all really work? I would like to understand if somebody can help.  It is an insignificant point for spiritual growth, and I should always strive my best to please God regardless of the answer of this, but I am just curious.

Thanks in advance

-your sister in Christ

wow thats deep!! and thats a very good question btw! too bad I have no idea what the answer is  ;D
    if anyone else could try to explain or clarify these questions it would be greatly appreciated!

please pray of for me and my weakness!
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=7760.msg101274#msg101274 date=1237960567]
    egyboy, I hope you dont mind. I have a question to add along the same line.

Thanks in advance

-your sister in Christ

You are correct in saying that time is not a factor for God, however paradise(according to a recent saint) is a real place that exists and is where St. Paul the apostle went in his vision. He said he was lifted up to the third heaven (aka paradise) So yes it is a real place. However, we will never know until we actually experience it, from what i think(and im in no place to really say this) but i believe that once we die, we are in a way "beyond time" not like God of course, but you can think of it in a way, as your start at eternal life(although it starts on earth as well) with God. I have nothing to prove this, just my opinion.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=7760.msg101290#msg101290 date=1237994957]
    You are correct in saying that time is not a factor for God, however paradise(according to a recent saint) is a real place that exists and is where St. Paul the apostle went in his vision. He said he was lifted up to the third heaven (aka paradise) So yes it is a real place. However, we will never know until we actually experience it, from what i think(and im in no place to really say this) but i believe that once we die, we are in a way "beyond time" not like God of course, but you can think of it in a way, as your start at eternal life(although it starts on earth as well) with God. I have nothing to prove this, just my opinion.

Thank you very much JY. I appreciate you sharing your opinion its rational. I think the only answer that I can get for this is opinions. I am not sure if there is really an answer to this question, beacuse i think its one of those things that our limited minds cant understand the unlimited God and His kingdom. Sorry for bothering you guys, I guess it was useless to ask, just been wondering for a while..
    Thank you!

If there is more opinions or answers it would be greatly appreciated.

please keep me in your prayers
    -your sister in Christ
  • i have a question relating to this subject

is God in paradise or in heaven or in both because he is everywhere all the time?

this question stemmed from the fact that when we pray we say "our Father who art in heaven" and in many verses, hymns, etc. we say things that are similar; however, when Jesus answered the thief on the cross, he said "today, you will be with me in paradise".
  • Heaven, in relation to God, has the sense of being beyond all time and space and is not a 'place' at all. God is not anywhere, in one sense, because He does not exist as a thing but just 'is'.

Yet in relation to us created beings there is a place where we will dwell with him and this is also called 'Heaven'. Indeed this is what we usually mean by 'heaven'.

Paradise seems to my reading to be the place where the soul waits patiently in blessed circumstances until the resurrection when it is reunited with the flesh. This is where the repentant thief would join the other blessed souls.

Father Peter