Didokia

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Can somebody send me the link to a website that has the didokia.

Pray for me,
Michael

Comments

• The Didache or didokia? What's the Didokia?
  • It's a very early teaching document from the time of the Apostles.

You can find it here..

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

together with links to many other early writings.

It is well worth studying.

Father Peter
  • Father Peter, you have been answering all my questions and being extremely helpful. I really mean this God Bless You.

Pray for me,
    Michael
  • that's a great website  :)
    for ages i wanted to read some of these writings and didn't know where to start.
    i want to point out, in case there are those that don't realise, that it's only the books in the Bible (i.e canonical and deuterocanonical) that are considered by the churches to be divinely inspired.
    it's possible that some of the other writings were inspired (maybe even 'didache' or 'didokia', i personally am not qualified to comment) but it's best that we look at them as useful historical documents that tell us things about the practices of the early Christians.
    in fact some of the documents relate to practices of the jews and other groups such as the gnostics, who were not Christians. the gnostics, for example also used to baptise their followers, so it's possible for anyone new to this literature to confuse it with Christian literature.
    but if you are studying early Christian and jewish traditions, this website is a great reference tool.
    it also contains the books of the Bible, which are a lamp to our feet and a light to our path. (psalm 118 v 105)
  • Oh, The Didache! Awesome reference! It shows how the early Christians worshipped and believed. It's the earliest document after the New Testament showing beliefs and Liturgy. It shows that original "old-time religion which was liturgic and not a Baptist or "Non-Denominational" service. The site is awesome...any others like this besides ccel.org?
  • This is another good website I use a lot. I know the man who maintains it.

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/

Father Peter
  • wow, just read the first discourse of st john chrysostom. no wonder they called him golden mouth  :)
    to summarise the 12 long paragraphs ('chapters') in 2 lines (maybe i am foolish to attempt this but maybe u don't have time to read it all):
    he explains how we should keep sharing the good news of Jesus and pay no attention to the lies of the devil that it is all worthless and no-one listens (describing how a good father will beg and entreat a disobedient child even if the child doesn't listen). he describes the goodness of lazarus and the evil of the rich man (from the gospel of Luke) and how we can learn from lazarus to be patient in our troubles.
    i recommend this website to all :-)
  • Thank you so very much, Abouna Peter for the website. Is it incomplete or does it only include the Fathers accepted by the Coptic Church? Christos Anesti! 
  • These are just the texts that Roger has transcribed and they are from a variety of sources.

All are useful, with discretion, but not all are accepted by our Orthodox Church, there is the book by Nestorius there for instance, and some works by Theodore of Mopsuestia.

I would stronly recommend people reading the works of St Severus and St Philoxenus and St Cyril on this site, as well as the History of Zachariah, and the Lives of the Coptic Patriarchs.

Father Peter
  • I have one expression: WOW!

Father Peter, those are great resources! Do you have any more like resources?