Who is JEHOVAH?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I heard it was God the Father. I think that is correct.

What do you all have to say about JEHOVAH?

Thank You.

Comments

• Jehovah is the name of God in the OT(looks like ths: יהוה). People often misinterprut this word with the religion, Jehovah's witnesses. However the word Jehovah is recognized in many Catholic churches, specifically Roman Catholics, across Europe. I'm not sure, however, if we use this word in the Coptic Church. I guess you can compare this to "Allah".. even though most people relate it to Islam, it just simply means "God" in arabic, so we use it as well.

Does anyone know if we use the word "Jehovah" at all?
  • There is no reason for us to use the word Jehovah. It is a Western attempt at a pronounciation of the Divine name. It is pretty much associated with the Protestant Reformation.

As someone who grew up in an Evangelical church in the West, we never really used the word, and I would feel odd using it.

As far as I can see it is translated as 'the Lord' in the LXX which is what I would call God rather than Jehovah. It is not part of the Orthodox tradition to use this name.

In Christ

Deacon Peter
  • yes. another way of pronouncing the hebrew word (spelt above by teksoni mesa pechristos; i don't have the coptic nor the hebrew fonts!) is Yahweh, and the messianic jews in france call him Yahweh. it is derived from the same hebrew letters as Jehovah. they, like us, don't usually write the short vowels, that's why there's disagreement about how to pronounce names from historical texts.
  • This is an interesting question . . .

My impression is that YHVH (aka Jehova aka Yahweh etc.) referrs to the entire entity/essence of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit).

George
  • well Jehovah's witnesses dont believe in the Son or Holy Spirit, so I think it just means God.

btw Mabsoota, my name isn't coptic.. it's greek. so I don't know why it's not showing up with you; I thought it showed up in all computers.
  • God's name is "I am".

• (LXX) ego eimi o On - Ahye asher ahye
  • [quote author=marcin_jarzebski link=topic=7624.msg100135#msg100135 date=1234284106]
    (LXX) ego eimi o On - Ahye asher ahye

translation please.

[quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7624.msg100134#msg100134 date=1234277157]
    God's name is "I am".

how does that relate to Jehovah?

[quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7624.msg100111#msg100111 date=1234208046]
    well Jehovah's witnesses dont believe in the Son or Holy Spirit, so I think it just means God.

btw Mabsoota, my name isn't coptic.. it's greek. so I don't know why it's not showing up with you; I thought it showed up in all computers.

btw, they believe in the Holy Spirit... one of my friends is a JW.. they just dont believe in the Son.
  • Ego eimi means "i am" in greek (dont know what wat o on means) ;D
    the other line looks like hebrew...any takers?

btw it's interesting to notice that Christ in John 8:58 says: Before Abraham was, I AM, and then the jews wanted to stone Him...it was because "I AM" is Jahweh in hebrew, it means a declaration of his divinity, it was blasphemy and therefore they wanted to stone Him.

Also something strange happens when Christ was arrested in John 18:5, when they asked who the Christ is, he answered "I AM" and the soldiers fell on the ground...why would they fall if they have swords and outnumbered Him?? It was because Christ said full confidence and authority: I AM, I am Jahweh, your God.

Edit: i meant verse 5, sorry!
  • Hiya

I don't see what you mean in John 18:8?

John 18:4 Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"  5 "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.)  6 When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.  7 Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth."  8 "I told you that I am he," Jesus answered. "If you are looking for me, then let these men go."  9 This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: "I have not lost one of those you gave me."

Jesus seems to say 'I am he' in response to their question 'We are looking for Jesus'. It looks like they weren't expecting Jesus to stand forward and say 'It's me!'. I wonder if they draw back at this point in the Johannine narrative because St Peter steps forward and chops off the ear of the High Priests servant.

In Genesis 1 God is Elohim. In Isaiah 1 he is YWH. In Judges 1 he is both Elohim and YWH. In Deuteronomy 1 He is the YWH our Elohim. In the LXX that last is translated as Kurios o Theos, so at least in the period when the LXX was translated the Jews seem willing to translate YWH as Lord and Elohim as God. I am not sure but I wonder if this is because they did not want to translate YWH at all but used the term Lord?

What is clear is that they don't use the word Jehovah in the LXX.

Deacon Peter
  • ego eimi o On means I am existing it is LXX translation of hebrew words ahye asher ahye what means "I will be who I will be". In hebrew like in arabic is not "to be" in present teans so in hebrew Tanach there is  "ANI HU" (Ana huwa i think in arabic). Jesus prabably said "Ani Hu" what in the Gospel of John is translated as EGO EIMI (I am he).

Do u think in apoc. 1:8 are words of Jesus?
  • Very simply, the word Jehovah has no actual meaning. When writing the Holy Scriptures, the Jews feared to even speak God's actual name, let alone write it. They also did this to remind the reader that it was the Holy One's name.

So God's actual name is YHWH. No vowels included. To remember not to actually say it aloud, they put in a vowel between each consonant, making the name YeHoWa (the inserted vowels being lowercase, and the Y is interchangeable with the J and the W interchangeable with the V in Hebrew). Thus, Jehovah's Witnesses are witnesses of a God they do not even know.

As for their belief in the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, they do not believe in the complete divinity of any one of the three.

They said in their Watchtower magazine that the Father has a "dwelling place" and does not exist everywhere. If the Father is not omnipresent, he is obviously not God.
    It is a known fact that they believe the Son is "a god," as in a created god.
    They believe the Holy Spirit is a "power" of "Jehovah."

There are so many things wrong with Jehovah's witnesses my whole life would not be wrong enough to explain. They frustrate me.
  • Jehovah (the English word for the Hebrew word Yahweh) means Lord. Arabic translation is Rab. Many Hebrew words describing God were lost to the Arabic word Rab.
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=topic=7624.msg100471#msg100471 date=1235454413]
    Very simply, the word Jehovah has no actual meaning. When writing the Holy Scriptures, the Jews feared to even speak God's actual name, let alone write it. They also did this to remind the reader that it was the Holy One's name.

So God's actual name is YHWH. No vowels included. To remember not to actually say it aloud, they put in a vowel between each consonant, making the name YeHoWa (the inserted vowels being lowercase, and the Y is interchangeable with the J and the W interchangeable with the V in Hebrew). Thus, Jehovah's Witnesses are witnesses of a God they do not even know.

As for their belief in the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, they do not believe in the complete divinity of any one of the three.

They said in their Watchtower magazine that the Father has a "dwelling place" and does not exist everywhere. If the Father is not omnipresent, he is obviously not God.
    It is a known fact that they believe the Son is "a god," as in a created god.
    They believe the Holy Spirit is a "power" of "Jehovah."

Being forced to participate in that religion in the majority of my adolescence (even though I was baptized Coptic orthodox prior to that) I remember a thing or 2 about the religion. They do not believe the son is a God....they just believe that he is Gods only son...and not god himself. They believe in the father, the son and the Holy Spirit as 3 separate entities.  They use the epiphany as their proof that all three are separate, when God the father talked to Jesus. They take it too literal....among many other things in the bible.
    Your right about everything else though.

I remember starting to attend Coptic Orthodox Sunday school again after a huge absence and attempted brainwashing with the JW's. I would answer Jehovah instead of God in answers...my Coptic orthodox Sunday school teachers were so confused!

JW's even changed every place it says god in their translation of the bible "New Living Translation". They changed almost every reference to God in the bible to Jehovah. If that’s not manipulating the word of God then I don’t know what is.
    Yes, JW’s cater everything in Christianity to fit their twisted agenda. With a response to every question prepared in advance....scary stuff. Just ignore them when they come to your door because they can be very convincing to individuals that are weak in faith.

The only thing that I benefited from the JW religion is appreciating even more the great gift that we have being Coptic Orthodox Christians.
    There is nothing in the world that can begin to compare.
    Sorry for going on and on….it’s just a touchy subject for me.
  • They do not believe the son is a God....they just believe that he is Gods only son...and not god himself.

Dearest Susy,
    In their "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures," John 1:1 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god." It cannot be any simpler than that. If they preach otherwise, I do not know. However, that is what their "books" say.