Physics help

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Well from my knowledge it seems like we have many people on this website who are very knowledgeable.....

in physics we are testing "G', which equals 9.8m/s^2 or 10 rounded up. If any of you could please help me find a way to test this and prove it, it would help me a lot. I just need to make an outline of how to test that it exists...... anyone?

Comments

• [quote author=deaconmark123 link=topic=9866.msg120924#msg120924 date=1287358666]
    Well from my knowledge it seems like we have many people on this website who are very knowledgeable.....

in physics we are testing "G', which equals 9.8m/s^2 or 10 rounded up. If any of you could please help me find a way to test this and prove it, it would help me a lot. I just need to make an outline of how to test that it exists...... anyone?

g is the acceleration of the gravity push towards the earth; hence the m/s^2 (because: distance(t)=m, d(distance)/dt = m/s = velocity,  d(distance)^2/dt^2 = d(velocity)/dt = m/s^2)

simply bring 2 objects of different masses and drop them from the same height and not far from each other so they can have approximately the same air resistance. you can see that they'll end up on the floor in the same time. meaning the mass doesn't matter. f (that is force) = m (mass) * a (acceleration). the only thing that is the same for both objects is "a"...... that a is your g.

btw, it's a "g" and not a "G"....... "g" = the Earth gravity, "G" = the general gravitational acceleration formula which depends on the 2 objects and the r (radius) between them.

wow....i can't believe i still remember this from physics 3 yrs ago.
  • Just drop an object and time how long it takes to fall (t) from height (h)
    gravity will be equal to 2h/t^2
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=9866.msg120930#msg120930 date=1287362797]
    Just drop an object and time how long it takes to fall (t) from height (h)
    gravity will be equal to 2h/t^2

record it with a good camera where you can have a ratio of frames/seconds.
  • when i was in school, i did an experiment that proved gravity was 3.8  :o
    i got the dunce prize and everyone laughed!  :-[
    glad there are people here who can help you better  ;)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9866.msg120925#msg120925 date=1287359416]
    [quote author=deaconmark123 link=topic=9866.msg120924#msg120924 date=1287358666]

g is the acceleration of the gravity push towards the earth; hence the m/s^2 (because: distance(t)=m, d(distance)/dt = m/s = velocity,  d(distance)^2/dt^2 = d(velocity)/dt = m/s^2)

simply bring 2 objects of different masses and drop them from the same height and not far from each other so they can have approximately the same air resistance. you can see that they'll end up on the floor in the same time. meaning the mass doesn't matter. f (that is force) = m (mass) * a (acceleration). the only thing that is the same for both objects is "a"...... that a is your g.

btw, it's a "g" and not a "G"....... "g" = the Earth gravity, "G" = the general gravitational acceleration formula which depends on the 2 objects and the r (radius) between them.

Excellent memory Mina!
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9866.msg120925#msg120925 date=1287359416]
    [quote author=deaconmark123 link=topic=9866.msg120924#msg120924 date=1287358666]

nice lol
  • HAHAHA thank you so much everyone who put their effort into this, it turns out the "homework" was not even checked or graded.....  :-\. And we ended up standing a long tube upright on a ring stand with this "timer" thingamajigger. It had a steel ball in between two metal clamps that sent an electric current through the system, And when you loosened the screws enough for the ball to fall out it broke the current which started the timer. At the bottom we had a pad waiting for the impact, so that when the ball hit the pad the timer stopped, giving us an accurate measurement of time. ???