Orthodoxy and evangelism?

2»

Comments

• he he,
    i think i'm egyptian  ;)
    people laugh when they see a white british lady saying 'ana begad masriyya!'
    i just like the culture, the noisy tea breaks, the way we do at least 2 things simultaneously in the mass, the way u can go out for lunch and not arrive till 4pm, the languages, and especially the food.
    tasoni and my friend 's' from our sister church (she will recognise herself if sees this) make the best chips on earth, and i love mulokheya (funny green veg u cook like spinach), eating without knife and fork, kids staying up late to pray, and they way you don't have to guess whether people like you or not. i'm naturally a bit blunt and don't have many airs and graces, and i found that my friends in church are not easily offended and enjoy a good debate, so i just fitted in with very little effort. i love the way family and guests are really important and it's better to be late for an important meeting than to make your guests feel rushed.
    i suppose if i found such a wonderful welcoming family in another culture i would have joined them instead, but God fixed it so i found the coptic church.
    :)
    btw the eritreans i met this week are also wonderful! i knew no-one there and was made really welcome.
  • Mabsoota,

Couple of more questions:

1.  Why did you choose affiliation with the COC and not the BOC, being that you are British?  I know that you mentioned you like the culture, but what compels you to the Eastern expression of the COC?

2.  I was wondering why you would expect the Christian Bookstores to carry Orthodox Books?  If they do not consider us to be Christian, then why would they carry our books.

3.  How do you feel about the face-to-face Confessional between a penitent and a priest?  How did you feel when you first experienced it?

4.  As a percentage of the day, how much are you mabsoota?

If these questions are too probing for you to share in a post, send me a PM.  I just find the converts into the COC to be very fascinating.  I am struck by their determination, logic, and piety in their humility.
  • Hi Mabsoota,

I'm also interested in ILSM's questions, and would love to know the answer, but could you also tell us how your parents became Christian? You said that they "lived without religion".

So, your parents are both British? Why then do you say "I think I'm Egyptian?" - so you have no Egyptian blood in your family?

For me, I'd love to know how to a-religious people can then become Christian?

Which Church in the UK did your Coptic friend take you to (BTW!)? I'm curious, because i've often been in a position where i've had to show people around my Church. Maybe we had already spoken and I didnt even know it.

• ok. some more answers:
    i am white, british, with english/scottish etc ancestors.

but i have never been very british my outlook, and i fit in better with egyptian culture than british. it's just a personal thing. plus i had just started studying arabic when i found out my colleague at work was coptic, so the thought of praying to God in arabic made me very happy. i spent much of my childhood reading the world atlas and planning the rest of my life based on that!
    as for which church, i will send u p.m.

i visited coptic churches regularly for about 2 years before i heard of the british orthodox church. by then i had prayed a lot about what to do next and had almost decided by then to become coptic. by the way, i love the british orthodox church  ;)

many Christian bookshops have catholic and protestant books, and don't have an active policy of not selling orthodox books, it's just that there is less demand. after several conversations with orthodox people in a town in uk and with the protestant manager of a book shop, there are now orthodox Christians buying the orthodox study Bible from this shop.

confession is great, i started doing it even before i became orthodox, it was sort of part of my discussions about orthodoxy with my priest. i started 'being' orthodox many months before i officially became orthodox.
    lots of things about orthodoxy attracted me, i thought it was very cool. i just didn't know about it before, that is why i was protestant. i had some vague idea that orthodox churches were very boring traditional places where people told old stories but didn't know the Bible. this was because of some people i met that labelled themselves orthodox but knew nearly nothing about Jesus.

i suppose i am mabsoota (happy) about 20% of time, more if i am in church
    LOL  :D
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9861.msg121727#msg121727 date=1288812899]
    ok. some more answers:
    i am white, british, with english/scottish etc ancestors.

but i have never been very british my outlook, and i fit in better with egyptian culture than british. it's just a personal thing. plus i had just started studying arabic when i found out my colleague at work was coptic, so the thought of praying to God in arabic made me very happy. i spent much of my childhood reading the world atlas and planning the rest of my life based on that!
    as for which church, i will send u p.m.

i visited coptic churches regularly for about 2 years before i heard of the british orthodox church. by then i had prayed a lot about what to do next and had almost decided by then to become coptic. by the way, i love the british orthodox church  ;)

many Christian bookshops have catholic and protestant books, and don't have an active policy of not selling orthodox books, it's just that there is less demand. after several conversations with orthodox people in a town in uk and with the protestant manager of a book shop, there are now orthodox Christians buying the orthodox study Bible from this shop.

confession is great, i started doing it even before i became orthodox, it was sort of part of my discussions about orthodoxy with my priest. i started 'being' orthodox many months before i officially became orthodox.
    lots of things about orthodoxy attracted me, i thought it was very cool. i just didn't know about it before, that is why i was protestant. i had some vague idea that orthodox churches were very boring traditional places where people told old stories but didn't know the Bible. this was because of some people i met that labelled themselves orthodox but knew nearly nothing about Jesus.

i suppose i am mabsoota (happy) about 20% of time, more if i am in church
    LOL  :D

Well that's interesting.. so you are 100% British (no Egyptian blood), yet you are more attached to the Egyptian culture than the British culture?

lol

OK.. moving on swiftly... the next question: How did your parents become Christian???! What happened???

But what I fail to understand is this: what made you become a Christian? Why not a buddhist? Why not a Hindu?
    What attracted you to Christianity?? Was it a sinful life that you needed absolution for and nothing else would work?

What exactly?

Thanks!

God bless
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9861.msg121705#msg121705 date=1288748875]
    2.  I was wondering why you would expect the Christian Bookstores to carry Orthodox Books?  If they do not consider us to be Christian, then why would they carry our books.

i wanted to comment on this question. many protestants use OUR CHURCH FATHERS' writings.....in their sermons, in their preaching and maybe even in books.....but they still deny that they are with us. that's why many just contradict themselves simply because they would be using our fathers words but then put in their own to just cover keda so it's not that obvious.
  • [quote author=kalsam link=topic=9861.msg120836#msg120836 date=1287239795]
    Hello, i live in addis abeba (ethiopias capital) and lately i have noticed posters everywhere inviting me to come to churches with the siliest names(mind your buisness church,you go city church for example) and it drives me crazy i mean they are trying to squeeze their way into a country that has been orthodox for 1700 years and it got me asking how come theyre so good at it so heres my point we have been around for 2000+ years and i can count orthodox countries with my hands they are less than 500 years world and theyre everywhere and they have some serious problems and push some horrible doctrine even the catholics have jesuits is it us or is it something else?

Hi I am Ethiopian Orthodox, though I do not live in Ethiopia. I have heard from my Ethiopian family that the 'Protestant' Churchs are trying to infiltrate Ethiopia. Gosh, that Devil does not give up does He?!! Always trying to 'capture' Ethiopia.
    Still we know many are called, but the chosen are few.
    History continues to repeat itself and ET has yet another 'invader'. Do not worry though Kalsam, try not to let it get to u too much. Of course we should speak out against what is wrong; but this is not the first time Evil has spread itself like a big Bay Tree and when we look again it will be no more.
    Our Almighty GOD is in control. These things have to come to pass.
    Gods wealth is not with the riches of this world. People unfortunately prefer the wide way to destruction not the narrow path of righteousness.
    You are blessed to live in a Country with such a long history of Faith.....Christian Orthodox Faith.

elsi
  • minagir (and others);
    are you working together with people in book shops to show them our great orthodox books?
    are you actively sharing our orthodox heritage with those who don't know it?
    a good and easy way is to go into a Christian book shop (protstant or catholic) and try to order an orthodox book to be delivered there.
    then when it arrives, tell them you are very happy as it is a great book.
    buy birthday cards with Bible verses on from there and get to know the people who work there.
    then you can tell them about the orthodox Christian faith.

be proactive, not reactive!
    ;)
  • May I commend the high standards of discourse and explanation of the various posters.

It occurred to me that we in Britain never had a vernacular liturgy during the time of the undivided church. The liturgy was always served in latin. In my church the liturgy is served in a 60/40% mix of Slavonic/English so we are better off than our English or Celtic ancestors of a millenium ago. However, having just been on pilgrimage to the Holy Land with a party of Russians, I realised how much I missed by needing to rely on translators and how much I long, not just for a vernacular liturgy. But it must come with music as Slavonic, Coptic, Greek liturgies do. A said English liturgy will not do in my opinion. In my church we sing English words to Slavonic melodies and it works fine. I have heard Copts singing to their melodies in English and that works fine too. But we must sing to be in line with Orthodox tradition.
  • interesting observation!
    we should be grateful for how much we do understand.
  • Fr Peter and Mabsoota, I thank you so much for your nice story. It is amazing. I know people who came into Orthodoxy through friends, spouses and etc.However,someone who finds the true faith of our Lord on their own must be very blessed and chosen. I could never do that.I believe, your mansions (Fr Peters with extras) in heaven are secured.

Mabsoota,do continue to persevere in the faith
    GB
  • Hez,

I could not have said it any better.