need explanation with this verse?

in Matthew 1:25
and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus
~ when it say did not know her till she brought forth her
firstborn Son
what that mean
also in another verse in the same chapter
verse 19 Then Joseph her husband
verse 20 in the middle of the verse said
do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife
isn't she was his fince i'm confused when they say his wife
someone help me out so when someone ask me outside i could answer to them in right answer
hope to hear from all u
Happy new year ;D

Comments

• Our Orthdox belief is that Virgin Mary was a Virgin, Before, During and After her pregnancy with Jesus Christ.
    the word "till" and in arabic "7ata" does not mean that it ended when she gave birth. I am trying to think of an example where the word "till" would mean continuty after that, but I just can't come up with one on the spot.
    As for your other question. St. Matthew wrote to the Jews. He wanted to establish the fact that Jesus was from the tribe of Juda, and is a decendant of David. He established that by the genealogy of Christ in the beginning and reterating the fact that Joseph married virgin Mary. He had to be married to her to protect her. If she wasn't married, she would have been stoned.

Joseph, when he married Virgin Mary, he was an old Man (over 60) She, on the other hand, was a young teenager (about 14 years old) This marrige was to protect her not a Real marriage.

One more thing, Just like the word 'till" the word 'firstborn' does not indicate that she had a 'secondborn' or third for that matter.

I hope that cleared things up.
  • Is she married to joseph?
    Something that you must understand is that the St. Mary VOWED to stay a Virgin for the rest of her life. She was betrothed to St. Joseph, who was a man as old as her grandfather. St. Joseph would have not married her, but would just take care of her and let her live her life of chastity.

When the Angel Gabriel appeared to St. Mary, she was astonished and WORRIED about the message he's giving her, not the mere appearance of him, which indicates that she had previous experiences with talking with angels. Notice she was betrothed to a man, and YET she told the Angel "How could this be, since I do not know a man?" If she was betrothed for the purpose of getting married in the future, she would have simply accepted the Angel's message and expected that the father be St. Joseph. This was not the case with St. Mary, which proves her intention for her EVER-VIRGINITY.

So now you ask if she got married to St. Joseph. The answer is YES and NO. Yes, she got married in the presence of the temple so that she won't be accused of adultery and become stoned. NO, she remained chaste for the rest of her life afterwards, and St. Joseph was there to serve both the Virgin and the Child, to act as a father, but was in actuality not the father nor did he approach her in a way husbands would approach their wives even after the birth. St. Mary continued her life as chaste with an extra job of being Mother for our God.
  • :[glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. The One True God. Amen.[/glow]

Here's a repost of mine....i hope it may help a bit ;D

I love The Holy Theotokos sooo much!!!!!! ......

In the Bible, an only child was still called a first-born due to his opening the womb thus having a favored status:

Deuteronomy 21
    "17But he shall acknowledge the son of the unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is."

He also had birthrights of a double portion of his father's assetsupon his death as seen in the above verse. Plus the child would receive a special blessing from the father and the privilege of leadership of the family. We see this in the sitting arrangement of the Patriarch Joseph in Egypt. They were seated according to age...starting from the oldest to the youngest:

Genesis 43
    "33And they sat before him, the firstborn according to his birthright and the youngest according to his youth; and the men looked in astonishment at one another."

Thus everything that the father had belonged to the first-born. Notice when the father, who was the oldest of the family, died, the next eldest would take over ....in this case the first-born. The Lord Jesus is the first-born Son of the Father (John 3:16) and of the Holy Theotokos (Luke2:7)!

Now what does this have to do with the perpetual virginity of the Holy Theotokos? ALOT! Here comes the "boom-shaka-laka"...lol! Who did the Lord give charge of His Mother to in John 19:26-27? Not to a biological sibling....but to the Beloved Apostle, St John the Evangelist! Tha's right! Here is the Lord Jesus Christ giving His last will and testimony ...dying for our salvation and He lovingly gives St mary to st John ( who by the way took her in for us as well...thus she is OUR Mother too since Jesus is the first of many spiritual brothers -Romans 8:29
    : 29For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.)

So combining the biblical evidence as well as the patristic as brother Michael thoma has so nicely shared with us, we can see and praise God for preserving the perpetual virginity of the Holy Theotokos, St Mary!!!