Homework on Sundays...

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
In the name of the Holy Trinity!

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if we are allowed to do our homework on Sundays???
This Holy Bible verse made me think twice about it
Isaiah 58:13-
If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
      From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
      And call the Sabbath a delight,
      The holy day of the LORD honorable,
      And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
      Nor finding your own pleasure,
      Nor speaking your own words,

May God Bless you all and May the light of the Lord's Cross shine on us all!!!

Comments

• I heard somewhere we r not suppose to as it is the Sabbath- a resting day, it should be based for God not sure though good question :D
  • Good question, I also wonder, are we not supposed to sport at sunday? Some churches arranges activities like sport for kids at sunday. And a lot of people (in EU) work at sunday, what about that? Or if u attended the holy mass and then go to work?
    And cleaning the house??

GB
  • Lots of people through history have to go to work after the Liturgy and still have to go to work after the Liturgy.

It is good from all sorts of angles to be able to keep the day for family and in a degree of quiet. But this has never always or often been possible.

What matters is that we have attended the liturgy and participated with as much attention as possible if the Lord makes this possible for us. And that afterwards we do nothing which disturbs our spiritual frame of mind. This does not mean doing only 'religious' things - again, some people must work. But it does mean not going straight from the Liturgy to something sinful or disturbing.

It would hardly be unworthy to go from the Liturgy to a shift in a care home where the needs of the elderly and infirm must be dealt with. It is not unworthy to commit some time to homework, unless it has been left to Sunday because of laziness. It is not unworthy to spend the afternoon in relaxation and fellowship as long as a spiritual frame of mind is preserved. It is not unworthy to be a nurse, a doctor, a policeman or many other servants of the people whose work load does not disappear on a Sunday.

It would perhaps be less worthy to choose to work on Sunday and choose to miss the Liturgy because of the prospect of extra pay, or promotion.

We are not Jews. We do not have laws we must keep. We must only love the Lord our God with all our heart and all our soul and all our strength, and our neighbour as ourselves. If our conscience does not tell us we are sinning, and if our spiritual father does not advise us otherwise, then human fellowship and friendship, and human work, which are all part of our humanity and our human existence, are not in themselves unworthy activities on a Sunday.

Father Peter
  • as father peter said, it depends on your motives.
    however i think giving up something on sunday is a good tradition.
    eg someone whose main job is to cook for the family could prepare something simple the day before and put it to one side. this prevents people having to rush home after liturgy to prepare food.
    people whose work requires them to work weekends could try to avoid sunday mornings, or alternate sunday and saturday with a colleague, so they can attend a saturday mass if there is one or tasbeha (evening) praises.
    people who study all the time could take one day off a week, maybe saturday or sunday in order to spend more time studying the Bible.
    it is very healthy in fact to take 1 day a week off from study, i have done it since i was a child (studied from childhood till earlier this month!). i have not failed any exams as a result, in fact my mind has been more alert.
    of course i have failed exams by failing to study on the other 6 days of the week, there are no guarantees!  ;)