The Fourth Council

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
This might be a topic that is touchy for people, for that I apologize. Since there was a schism I would like to elaborate. This is also why I chose Oriental over Eastern when converting, even tho I tell Copts I converted because of the food! What I find so amazing about the 4th council is the pride and arrogance that was on display. When it came down to what actually caused the schism, the nature of Christ, the Oriental defined the nature of Christ exactly how St Cyril of Alexandria defined it and was accepted by all at the 3rd council. This is what is amazing, the Eastern and Latins defined it differently and we accepted both definitions, as we would not denounce the definition of St Cyril. Yet they refused to accept our definition, yet accept the 3rd Council.

Another thing I have noticed while studying this council in particular, is the way in which Pope Leo acted. St. Dioscorus gets alot of grief for how he acted, but Pope Leo acted like a madman and it seemed as if he acted on jealousy and personal gain more than anything. Possibly upset that Alexandria seemingly had more power than them. Pope Leo scolded St Dioscorus for allowing Eutyches back into the church, even tho Eutyches repented and recanted his view. (later on he did go back to them but after this council) Yet Leo had written a letter to Eutyches praising him for his zealous attitude.

Also, the Eastern Orthodox regard St Dioscorus as an "arch heretic" as well as St. Severus. Which to me is dumbfounding. Proclaiming St Cyril's definition makes one a heretic?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ioannes,

My thoughts exactly.  A very good summary.

I also feel that the coming of the barbarians to Rome had an impact.  There was a leveraging to try to get attention and power back to the West.  I believe in the manipulations between:  Leo/the Emperor/the emperor's wife were within this scope also.

It comes down to Leo wanting to be a big man.
  • Indeed! One thing I did forget to add was that Leo put St Dioscorus under house arrest, without telling anyone. St Dioscorus could not leave the house because of armed guards. Leo then summoned St Dioscorus knowing full well he was not going to come, making it look to the rest of the council that St Dioscorous was refusing to acknowledge the council. This graphically shows Leo's motives, power. He had to oust Alexandria because they were "too powerful" in his eyes. There is even some hints in the letters of the early church fathers that the Latins were going awry very early on, mainly with pride and an inflated ego.

This was one of the determining factors in choosing the Oriental Orthodox.....well and my wife is Tewahedo (Ethiopian Orthodox) so even if I agreed with the Eastern, I wouldnt have had a choice, LOL!