Name that Saint!

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
I was told that another thread I posted was pointless. It was. So I have to make up for it. Hopefully in this thread we can all guess who said the statement that I have posted here. Then everyone will get to guess until someone gets it right, or atleast the first person gets it right. I can give clues as well. The goal is to get people more familiar with the writings of the early church fathers in a fun way. There is a prize.

Which Father said this?:

So dont say further to me: "what harm, after all, comes from passing the time here?" Because that single factor of a horse race is sufficient to cause the ruin of your soul. You see, whenever we waste precious time on worthless things, which, far from contributing anything to our soul, even harm it, and when we squabble and pour out a flood of words good and bad, what excuse do we have? What account can we give? To draw a comparison: here in church if we tend to protract the instruction, many people become restive and impatient, and allege bodily distress and weariness, although this wonderful ceiling is sufficient to distract them from that, there are no grounds for complaint in cold, or rain, or force of winds. There, on the contrary, where they are scourged by heavy rain and fierce wind storms, or at other times the sun sheds its burning rays, they are prepared to spend not an hour or two but most of the day; the aged have no respect for their own grey hair, while the young are not ashamed to patronize the haunts of the old; so great, however, is their self-deception that it is with relish that they embrace that bane of their soul, and no thought is given to the brevity and impermanence of the harmful pleasure, the eternity of the pain, and the accusation of conscience.

Comments

• Ioannes,

What's the prize?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9563.msg117881#msg117881 date=1281528573]
    Ioannes,

What's the prize?

Knowledge
  • Somehow I knew you were going to say that.  I will think and try to answer.

I was hoping for a bag os Snickers candy bars.
  • Who is Saint John Chrysostom for 500 points.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ioannes

I am tempted to google it  :o. I guess that will be cheating eh  ;D

In Christ
    Theophilus
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=9563.msg117887#msg117887 date=1281536343]
    Who is Saint John Chrysostom for 500 points.

Good Job! And no, use all tools at your disposal. Now for the Next one.
    Which Saint said:

"Wonderful is your knowledge from me," and the craftsmanship that is in me, understanding by that wisdom my body is structured. From this small work of construction, I understand the great fashioner."

So far TITL is in the lead with 1. I was actually thinking of getting a book for whoever I deem the winner, so keep that in mind, that is if knowledge is not enough.
  • Saint Basil Bishop of Caesarea... I'll take that for 100000 points ;)
  • I like this one...

"What Shall I, who am wretched, wicked, sinful and defiled, say in response? The martyrs will point to their wounds, their torments, their detached limbs, their endurance to the end. The ascetics will point to their asceticism, their lengthy fasts, vigils, nonacquistiveness, their tears and all their sufferings. But I, who am slothful and sinful, to what shall I point, but the shameful fruits of gluttony, sensuality, somnolence, acquisitiveness, impatience, vainglory and apathy?"

Guess  ;D
  • Good Job TITL, thats 2 for you, but here is a VERY difficult one and I think you will be shocked who said this one. Please everyone who may have an opinion on this, keep it to yourself or make another thread to discuss it. This is controversial because it points to the angels in Gen. 6, or what some people say are not angels but the line of Seth. If you get this one, not only will you be shocked but you should be proud of yourself!

“To which also we shall add, that the angels who had obtained the superior rank, having sunk into pleasures, told to the women(13) the secrets which had come to their knowledge; while the rest of the angels concealed them, or rather, kept them against the coming of the Lord. Thence emanated the doctrine of providence, and the revelation of high things; and prophecy having already been imparted to the philosophers of the Greeks, the treatment of dogma arose among the philosophers, sometimes true when they hit the mark, and sometimes erroneous,”

Also from this same Saint:

“Heaven delights in two charioteers, by whom alone the chariot of fire is guided. For the mind is carried away by pleasure; and the unsullied principle of reason, when not instructed by the Word, slides down into licentiousness, and gets a fall as the due reward of its transgression. An example of this are the angels, who renounced the beauty of God for a beauty which fades, and so fell from heaven to earth.”
  • Das ma homie Clemy from Alex  :P
  • Do my points double for being the only contestant on this game site? ;D

I'll be a good christian and refrain from answering until someone else catches up to my score. Where have I reached.. 234734 points?

• I think it is fixed.  I got two of them, but not fast enough.  That is not worth the bag of snickers nor the wrappings.
  • This thread is not going very well, LOL. But yes that last one was St. Clement. I used that so people remember that when I talk about Gen 6
  • Ioannes,

I think it is easier to go with a trivia type approach with simple one line questions or so.  Try that, you may get more takers.
  • How about adding Pope Shenouda III trivia?  He is a living saint as far as I am concerned.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9563.msg118028#msg118028 date=1281633802]
    How about adding Pope Shenouda III trivia?  He is a living saint as far as I am concerned.

I think he has some good writings, but without elaborating or making it seem as if I am tearing him down, I will only say that while I have great respect for him and truly do admire him, there are things I disagree with him on. Again I am not saying anything against him, and I know that I am nobody.

How about Church History trivia? The councils, the heresies, the saints, the heretics etc.?

For instance, what verse in the OT is a direct reference to the Coptic Church? This should be simple
  • You SHOULD have gotten that. I dont think anyone cares about this thread.

Which Saint referred to Marcion of Sinope as "The first born of Satan"?
    Was it:

A) St Clement of Rome
    B) St Cyril of Alexandria
    C) St Polycarp of Smyrna
    D) St Hippolytus of Rome

Bonus question:
    What heresy is Marcion of Sinope most known for?
  • Which saint prayed to God during their lifetime?
  • Even though this has become a comedy routine, atleast I am keeping peoples attention without offending them.
  • wheres the prize you promised me?!  >:(
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=9563.msg118497#msg118497 date=1282506357]
    wheres the prize you promised me?!  >:(

You did not receive it in the mail?