The North American Archdiocese

Why is the North American Diocese part of the Archdiocese and not its own diocese?? By the way, it is the diocese that Bishop David is in charge of.

Comments

• [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9562.msg117858#msg117858 date=1281494124]
    Why is the North American Diocese part of the Archdiocese and not its own diocese??

It's not part of the Archdiocese but It's THE "arch-diocese" of America (and canada i think)....the head diocese of the area like Alexandria.

By the way, it is the diocese that Bishop David is in charge of.

not exactly. Because it is the archdiocese, it is under the Pope himself......again like Alexandria. Anba David is the "General" Bishop of the diocese on behalf of the pope. It's like in Alexandria, there is no bishop but rather a "khori-episkobos" who is like a bishop. They stopped ordaining "khori-episkoboses" and instead they ordain general bishops.
  • Do Canadiens consider themselves Americans? [just a joke]
  • That is what I meant about Anba David...Just did not come out the right way.

That is my question minagir. Why is the Pope in charge of this diocese instead of a bishop like the rest of the United States?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9562.msg117891#msg117891 date=1281541200]
    That is what I meant about Anba David...Just did not come out the right way.

That is my question minagir. Why is the Pope in charge of this diocese instead of a bishop like the rest of the United States?

As i said....the head diocese of the area needs to be gnerelly under his guidance. he doesn't really do anything else with the other dioceses that have set bishops on them. 
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9562.msg117891#msg117891 date=1281541200]
    That is what I meant about Anba David...Just did not come out the right way.

I think the question is why is only the southern diocese and LA has their own bishops (Anba Yousef and Anba Serapion) while other parts of North America don’t have specific bishops.
    In Christ
    Theophilus
  • Because, His Holiness, and the Holy Synod have not felt the necessity.  His Holiness, used to fluff the issue, but He has said in no uncertain terms (later) that He does not wish quorum to reach three full and seated bishops in one region, which may be the cause of for a separatist church.  Three bishops may consecrate a patriarch for themselves and develop an autonomous church.  He has said that He does not want to have this be even a remote possibility within his papacy.  He has said that he will leave it to the next pope to deal with the issue.
  • There are three bishops in the US, there is a new diocese for states like Virginia and North Carolina under HG Anba Michael. So what your saying ilovesaintmark isn't the case any longer.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9562.msg117918#msg117918 date=1281550381]
    Because, His Holiness, and the Holy Synod have not felt the necessity.  His Holiness, used to fluff the issue, but He has said in no uncertain terms (later) that He does not wish quorum to reach three full and seated bishops in one region, which may be the cause of for a separatist church.  Three bishops may consecrate a patriarch for themselves and develop an autonomous church.  He has said that He does not want to have this be even a remote possibility within his papacy.  He has said that he will leave it to the next pope to deal with the issue.

wow....i am shocked of you knowing this ilovesaintmark (no disrespect intended). generally speaking that is true.

jydeacon,
    I don't think Anba Michael's is as much a 3rd bishop rather than a monk who was ordained as a bishop on some specific churches.
  • Mina, isn't that what a diocese is, a bishop over a certain number of churches? It doesn't have to span a geographic area necessarily. If he isn't a general bishop he's gotta be a bishop over a diocese.
  • JY,

Bishop Michael is a General Bishop.  He is not a seated bishop (having a See).
  • Minagir,

I believe His Holiness' experience, in the exile from 1981-85, the Sadat appointed Committee of Five Bishops, and the actions of the American Coptic Association, have led him to take such a stance.

There were some radical statements by the American Coptic Association [not affiliated with any portion of the Coptic Orthodox Church or Its Hierarchy], including:  part-time priests, part-time priests ordained by other jurisdictions (Syrian, Armenian) for reserve use, breaking from the Patriarchate of Alexandria so as not to be under the possible hand of the government of Egypt.

His Holiness used to make it a private comment, and as of several meetings I attended with questions and answers (quite public), he made the references to the quorum aspect.

I would not dare even add or subtract from His Holiness' replies.  I understand the ramifications.

1981-85 were certainly trying times.
  • ilovesaintmark,
    I am not disagreeing....i am with you on this....politics has always been a great evil sword in our Church from long ago not only when the Church entered the states.
  • Amen. Brother Minagir.
  • I dont get it. The Pope does not want 3 Bishops in the United States so they do not ordain their own Pope for the United States?? If i understood this correctly (which I doubt) that is messed up...
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9562.msg118162#msg118162 date=1281886813]
    I dont get it. The Pope does not want 3 Bishops in the United States so they do not ordain their own Pope for the United States?? If i understood this correctly (which I doubt) that is messed up...

what is exactly.....the possibility of this happening or the pope being cautious? 
  • the idea of an american pope and how the pope is thinking (from my point of view that is). these bishops are chosen by God himself...why would he choose bishops that would consecrate their own Pope?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9562.msg118170#msg118170 date=1281901764]
    the idea of an american pope and how the pope is thinking (from my point of view that is). these bishops are chosen by God himself...why would he choose bishops that would consecrate their own Pope?

Well we are alll humans. the pope, bishops, priests.....everyone. none are infallible.....none can be controlled to always do what's right.