The Issue of Death

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
On another thread the issue of death and what happens afterward was brought up. Fr Peter and I agree that something must happen, some purification of some sort. But were generally unsure of what exactly happens. Hopefully Fr. Peter is open to engage in this subject. We should also be very careful in coming to any sort of conclusion, or an absolute position as we cannot know for sure. But I thought it might be nice to discuss death a little bit more. Also here is a talk with Fr. Thomas Hopko, an eastern priest, but a great theologian none the less, speaking on what happens after death:
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/suicide

Hopefully we can have a good discussion, with an open mind and refrain from making any sort of absolute conclusion.

Comments

• Dear Ioannes

I have no problem with us discussing fruitfully the issue of death, and the soul after death, as long, as we agree, that all of us keep a certain humility and do not insist on deriving absolute opinions from the veiled comments of the Fathers of the Church. I would also wish us to try and focus on what the Fathers teach rather than our own opinions.

There is a short piece by St Gregory Nyssa, On the Soul and the Resurrection.

This might be good for us to read and comment on since it is not too long.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf205.x.iii.i.html

I shall read it in any case and make some notes.

Father Peter
  • Thanks Fr. Peter, and I agree that we need to keep a certain humility on this subject. The link I put up is from Fr. Thomas Hopko, I hope all listen. He is asked about the Aerial Toll Houses, and uses many sources from the early church. Thanks for the link, It may take a while to read.

** I am now in the midst of reading this, Fr Peter, this is amazing. These words are truly timeless, and very moving to the soul. I have to say I am captivated by this, thank you very much.