The Importance of Prayer Rooms and Prayer Corners

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I am not sure as to how many people utilize Iconography in their homes, have prayer rooms, or prayer corners. I have been in several homes of my Coptic friends and while many of them have Iconography, it is used merely as decoration. I dont want to sound preachy or seem as if I am scolding people or anything like that. I just want to give the perspective of a convert on the importance of these and how greatly it helps improve the spiritual life.

Mt 6:5,6 "And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your room and when you have shut the door, pray to your Father, which is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly."

I am not sure what the early church fathers say on this particular verse but I dont think it would be incorrect to take this verse literally as well as metaphorically. When I was introduced to Iconography and began to understand it, I recalled this verse, and began to learn how to pray. The very first Icon I got was given to me by an Antiochan preist, two very small Icons, one of Christ, and the other of our Holy  Mother St.Mary. From then on I became obsessed.

Not only did I find them comforting but I found it much easier to pray openly, as if speaking to them. At the same time I was not sure if this was correct or not, but I remember reading on the life of St. John Chrysostom, and it mentioned how he used to talk to an icon of St Paul, which made me feel much better. Needless to say I am currently banned from purchasing anymore icons by my wife.

Having an area in your house dedicated to prayer is important. St John Chrysostom teaches us that our house is like a church, and we should treat it as such. So being able to go to a room or an area like a corner, ideally facing east, allows a person time to reflect, speak with the saints and ask for intercession and pray to our Lord. It is a place to see the lives our our fathers and our savior visually, lest we forget.

Icons are windows to heaven, surrounding yourself with a cloud of witnesses is to surround yourself with heaven and will be a constant reminder of our goal on this earth, and that our citizenship is not OF this world. I find this point the most important. In our society, around the world, we see images mostly related to sex, the devils iconography. We are constantly bombarded into thinking of women in a degrading fashion, and making women think they are less of a woman for not looking like Paris Hilton. If we do not offset this somehow then these images can seriously corrupt our mind, body, and spirit. Therefore the word of St John Chrysostom become very clear, make your home dedicated to the Lord, as for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord. Make it a sanctuary, a place that is safe from worldly temptations.

We should be in constant prayer no matter where we are, having Icons or not. At the same time we need every tool at our disposal to combat the adversary. I am interested to hear some replies on this idea, and very excited to hear about other peoples prayer rooms/corners, perhaps we can share our ideas on different set ups and such. If anyone has any pictures please post them, I will try and get some of mine and describe the symbolism in the set up.

Comments

• It's been our tradition from the time we were living in Shoubra/Cairo.  In my family, each one of our homes has one.

Sadly, there are homes where you will not find a Cross or a Holy Bible, and there is no area reserved for prayer for the entire family to gather.

You have McMansions and no central place for worship.  If icons are hung, they are for decoration and not a focus to pause and pray.

Ioannes, a very thoughtful posting.  I actually just finished my prayers in my little corner of the house.  I wish you well in this day, that it may be filled with God's Presence.

I also have a printed list of names of people, on a sheet, to mention from my life--even those who have done bad things to me.

"Foxes have holes, birds have nests, but the Son of Man hath no place to rest."
  • ilovesaintmark, Thanks for your reply! That is neat that you mention having names of people to pray for. I used to write down names of really sick people in the hospital and people I seen die. And I keep them on the western wall of my prayer room, that area is for praying for the dead, sick, and dying. I am really eager to see pictures and descriptions.
  • I learned it from a simple priest who used to help me with learning how to pray.  I also have on the list, those 'who have done me wrong'.  My list is also setup similar to a categorization system:  family, friends, clergy that I know, Pope Shenouda (I love the guy), people that have problems I am aware, illnesses and repose, a general prayer for the Church and my work place.

I have it on computer and I am able to update it as necessary.  Needless to say the list keeps expanding. 
  • wow thats a good idea, very structured and organized, I think I will also try and impliment this as I dont have any sort of structure, I just go down the list. I actually got my idea from when I was first baptized almost 3 years ago. The deacon reads to you that basically you are now responsible for your actions and your sins. I took this to heart and began documenting every sin I did every day, which helped me visualize exactly which areas I sinned most in, and how that sin came about, which really helps combat the root of the sin.

Thank you very much, I think now I am going to arrange everything in a more sensible manner. All I have written are sick and dying people, so I think I need to put people that I have wronged and those who have wronged me, great idea man, thanks!
  • Don't forget Pope Shenouda III--please, I beg everyone to remember him--especially.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9376.msg115780#msg115780 date=1276977264]
    Don't forget Pope Shenouda III--please, I beg everyone to remember him--especially.

Yes of course, we should pray for all bishops, and priests of the Lord. They have a very difficult job.
  • yes, as father peter said on another topic, spontaneous prayer works when it's in a disciplined life with regular prayer. that's how it stuck in my memory, not an exact quote.
    we should pray every day in a structured way, and also pray little prayers through the day, eg when travelling, before eating, when in a difficult situation.

i love pope shenouda too! and my bishop and all bishops.
  • http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4080731&l=f67ec34f6c&id=726369828

Here is my Icon room. It is much different now, I have moved most into that corner and switched the places of the two large icons, the second coming on the East wall, where the crucifixion icon is in this pic.

There is a western wall I have, which is out of the frame to the left, in which I have the Ladder of divine ascent, and above that an actual skullcap of a human with a cross on it and "Golgotha" writtin in Coptic on the top of it, and "Remember Thy Death" on the bottom. I keep all the prayers of the sick, dead, and dying here. West represents death so I keep them there.

While facing the eastern wall, now with the Icon of the second coming, I am turning my back to the western wall, which represents death, and pray facing east in a symbolic sort of way I am trying to show God that indeed I expect His arrival soon.

I hope to get more updated pictures for everyone, it looks much better now, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask! Thanks, hope to see some other peoples pics of their prayer rooms so we can share ideas!

I bet that Fr. Peter has a sweet prayer room!