Revolutionary war? Coptics?

Does anyone have a clue as to what was going on in the coptic church during the revolutionary times, and the period of slavery etc.... i have always wondered ;D :D ;) ;D >:( 8) :-X ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

God bless

Comments

• We were being persecuted and murdered by the muslim rulers, no different than the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 20th, and 21st centuries.  The 18th and 19th centuries being the reference point from which you made inquiry.
  • BTW, there was no Yankee doodle coming to Cairo, riding on a camel.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9369.msg115676#msg115676 date=1276734063]
    BTW, there was no Yankee doodle coming to Cairo, riding on a camel.

LOL
  • The power of the Ottomans had been effectively overthrown after the Napoleonic invasion at the beginning of the 19th century, and Muhammed Ali took control of Egypt with the support of some of the European powers. He introduced cotton as a cash crop and during the American Civil War, when cotton exports from the US were diminished, the role of Egypt as a supplier of cotton became important.

The successors of Ali spent more than they should, and in building the Suez Canal they exposed Egypt to indebtedness to European banks and governments. In 1875 the Egyptian share of the canal was sold to Britain, who then came to dominate Egyptian affairs with the French.

This led to nationalist movements being formed, which caused the British and French to intervene to prevent loss of their influence, and Egypt became essentially a British Protectorate.

So I guess that the 19th century, during the period you asked about, was one of a growing European influence in Egypt. Not always to the advantage of the Christian community, and leading to the development of nationalist feelings.
  • My earlier comments were crass, yet true.  There are the Rulers in Primal position and others on the middle management level.  The persecution of the Coptic people has been incessant.  The Europeans worked with middle management to get things done to the same level as the Ottoman regime.

Napoleon also brought the printing press, but helped rape the country of so many historical resources.  I used to object to the pillage of these artifacts, but even in their evil there was a saving grace, in that they (artifacts) were preserved in places like the Louvre, the Vatican Museum, and the British Museum.

The Napoleonic and British eras were short lived; not even a flash in the pan.  Khedives ruled Egypt, no differently than in the Ottoman System.  The Ottoman system, with a good portion, still lives on in the laws and procedure of the Egyptian (false-republic) Government to persecute the Christians as no-class citizens.

The persecution goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on.
  • Interesting, thank you abouna and Ilovesaintmark

but i was wondering more towards the coptic orthodox church, as to what was happening to them
  • Our Patriarchs were either paying money to save our people, negotiating, or taking some sort of punishment.  That is the constant theme.  With the presence of Napoleon there were efforts to try to establish a Latin Catholic presence and to elevate the Coptic Catholic movement.

You can do some reading from Iris Habib El-Masry:  The Story of the Copts.  It is easy reading and gives a good synopsis.