What is this guy?

edited May 2010 in Random Issues
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=uDOihQ--rIw&feature=related

Is this guy like Egyptian Protestant?

Sorry i meant to post this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=MIYhBpDTkhM&feature=related

I am confused if he is Orthodox or Protestant

Comments

• Well it looks like a pretty standard protestant church.

What is he singing?

The tune is certainly catchy but I don't really want the liturgy to become like this as I would lose most of my congregation.

Father Peter
  • ya, i don't want the service to be like this because the people who would come, would most likely be coming because of the loud music not the words.

I have no idea what he is singing.
  • oh this is Maher Fayez!
    He is a really good guy..he sings alot of arabic taraneem and stuff
    He use to be coptic but now hes protestant...
    he uses alot of words and stuff from our liturgy in his songs.
    i like him =] i love his songs
  • i know him he `s awesome and may be he still coptic

please pray for me
  • Yes...this is Maher Fayez. I do think he is protestant but not fully sure aboutthat.

the song on the other hand; the name is "qanon al-eman el-masahi" = "The Christian Creed"
    He basically takes our Orthodox Creed, atleast most of it, and adds things to it to make it sound good. not the first thing i see from egyptian protestants.
  • It looks like their whole church is built upon our creed and hymns. ;D ;D ;D
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9290.msg114837#msg114837 date=1275107223]
    It looks like their whole church is built upon our creed and hymns. ;D ;D ;D

welll....most of them can't really speak and teach much against what we say because that becomes one way to bring ppl to their churches. they would use the impression of "we are like them except for some small things" even thoo that sometimes what they teach in their churches may be against their own belief as a protestant church just to keep the status quo of their church and people.
  • Maher Fayez is a great artist, his taraneem are used all over Egypt in Coptic Orthodox churches, he has 'a band' called El Karouz and performs all over the country (I know how this sounds to the Western ear, but it's not that bad lol)... I love his use of the Oud in many taraneem!

I also think he's Orthodox, in fact there's a recent interview of him praising our church..and saying how HG Anba Michael of Asiut is his spiritual father... for those who don't understand Arabic: basically the interviewer (on an Egyptian protestant channel: the program is called : Just a normal human being) asks him, how do you consider yourself just normal when everyone keeps praising you and your music so much! He said, I did in the beginning feel that I was special etc. and I went to the monastery for a retreat, and ended up staying there 1.5 year, where I am proud to say HG Bishop Michael helped me see things in perspective.. That's the wonderful thing about our Orthodox church: you have fathers to guide you and pull you back to reality when you start to feel arrogant etc. In our church, no one just walks alone without guidance and does whatever he wants, no... there are people there to put you in your place
    He talks about how he doesn't answer spiritual questions anyomore because he considers himself unfit to do so, and that he realizes that he is even below normal, but goes on praising God who can work through and with anyone...

here's the link:
  • but he isn't Coptic Orthodox, and sometimes it makes me mad when he lures people into becoming Protestant off our church.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9290.msg114844#msg114844 date=1275153340]
    but he isn't Coptic Orthodox, and sometimes it makes me mad when he lures people into becoming Protestant off our church.

Where did you get this information?