Ondos

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello all! May the blessings of this fast be with you. I was just wondering, do most people use the recording of Ondos by HICS (found on this site) or the recording of Ibrahim Ayad (found on coptichymns.net). I started learning it the HICS way but the older deacons at my church know it the Ibrahim Ayad way. The two recordings are actual quite different in several places, which is strange... anyone have some history on what happened?

Comments

• i don't think they are that different. m Ibrahim's recording plays a little with the hazzat, being a person who have the ability in his voice to smooth out some hazzat to sound nice..atleast he used to many years ago..which i personally like. We can't just be recorders who record hymns from sources into our minds and just repeat them in church. you have to feel the hymn you are saying. that sometimes is done through a hazza here and there. please note that i am speaking generaliy when singing hymns and not teaching them; that's another case.

M Farag, who recorded with HICS this rite, his hazzat are very sharp and may not sound as harmonic as M Ibrahim. this is all about the first part which have a unique way compared to the rest of the other parts. As for the other parts, I don't see much discrepancy other than the fact that they have different tarkeep.
  • Speaking of Ondos, why are the middle verses heretical? How can a hymn be made and then sang and then declared heretical?
  • [quote author=athanasius piapostolikos link=topic=9283.msg114917#msg114917 date=1275437046]
    Speaking of Ondos, why are the middle verses heretical? How can a hymn be made and then sang and then declared heretical?

they are NOT......some started saying that. if they were, than the Southern Diocese would have not published them in thier book which is reviewed by HGB Youssef himself.

i think most ppl don't like how it says "Peter on Rome" as we believe that Saint Paul was the one who established the see in Rome and not Saint Peter...but despite that, the hymn doesn't really say he became the pope of that See. Saint Peter did preach in Rome and was martyred there.

If i am not mistaken, i think HGB Gregorious have this question answered in one of his Theological Rites books....which i read a long time ago and i don't remember the specific words....but his grace did not condemn the parts but explained them.