Losing faith

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hi,

I am a uni student and although God helped me get into the course i am currently studying, every since my first year everything has been going down hill and i feel like God isn't there at all i used to pray a lot and read the Bible but i have started to give up on praying, reading and even worse i have started to lose my faith, as i can't do it anymore. I can't keep praying and asking for success after having studied only to fail and those around me who have not studied or cheat in exams, end up passing. recently i got results for an exam that i was prepared for only to find i failed and those i had help with their studies passed how can that be fair, we say God is fair but honestly in my time at uni i have not noticed that at all.

Please pray for me
Sam

Comments

• Hey Sam,

Your story actually reminded me of a story the servant in my church here told me about.

So there was this guy who was the top of his class he used to study hard and do well. So for the first 2 years of his 4 year programs he's getting some of the highest marks in his class then comes third year and suddenly he fails, he didn't change anything yet somehow he failed. This guy kept asking God why, and how could he let that happen, and how come the people who used to get so much worse than him passed when he didn't. So all the people who were with him went on to their 4th year and he stayed back. And guess what happened, the country they were went to war all the guys in their 4th year were conscripted, went to war, and died on the battlefield.

As you can see sometime what is best for you is the exact opposite of what you think it is. Perhaps the reason you are not doing well is because wants to open your eyes to other areas of study that you have previously over looked or some other reason. But trust me my friend God loves, God wants what is best for you, and unlike us God actually knows 100% what is best for you and not just what you think may be good for you.

So don't lose faith because once you stop trusting in God that's when God's plan to give you the best possible life gets derailed, remember the verse "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God" Romans 8:28.

I hope that helped, I will pray that God will strengthen you through this hard time for you.

Pray for me.
  • Your story sounds exactly like mine.I graduated High School with strait A's and afterwards I did not get any scholarships because of delayed paperwork. Additionally, my family is poor and cant pay for classed due to out of state tuitions. I got so angry ,and told myself why is this happening?why is every door closing?I got angry and did not like what was going on .Everyone went to a great 4 year college.I stayed back and studied more ,and return to God.Now I don't care that all this has been happening ,for I returned to God.I am actually kinda glad that I did not continue because I became too prideful ,and wanted everything.Also I was not turning to God nor thanking him for anything.Therefore, If I would have continued college at that time I would have done many stupid things.I started to conform to others.Be with God pray and he will do what is best for you even when it seems like it is not the best at that time.God knows what is best for us.Later you will look back and thank him with all your heart. Ultimately, I learned to thank God ,especially, during times of tribulations ,for it is then when I think about him the most.Hopefully, I helped a little.
  • Brother Sam

Firstly Im a saddened to know that you feel distant from Our Lord, sometimes we go onto a desert road and God gives us a bottle and we give thanks and say ill see you later Father...

he says "to make it to the end meet me at the well often i will give you water and you will live"

but perhaps we become excited and so sure of ourselves and our ability that we ignore the Lords advice....

we build a picture in our head of what the finish line will look like and how we would feel, and how a joyous day this would be and we indulge in our own glory.... and in all this we forget Our Lord and how through standing him up we told the Lord to "back off" we have "got it all figured out"...

and then in a short time when we are dehydrated we may look to the Lord, and say "why have you failed me Lord?....Where are you Lord? Why have you left me in this place cold and dark place?" through all this he still waits at the well for you............and waits...and waits and you do not return

you think the aim of the road was to reach the destination, but perhaps the real aim was to sit with the Lord at every opportunity, to give thanks for the opportunity and to laugh about your day with him, to smile with him, to cry with him and just do all things through him and in him.....

and in that day you will look up and not even care about the destination, and when you are asleep and to tired to make it the Lord who we trusted in to deal with us Righteously will carry us there

Through sincere Prayer and repentance we can return to the Lord

Do you believe in him Sam?
  • kefleyouhannes, that's so true!

sam, one of the most important things i've (nearly) learnt in life is how to fail and how to trust in God when everyone is laughing at you.
    just a little eg, one exam i failed at uni and had to resit was pharmacology. i cried for 1/2 hour! (i have mentioned it in another thread, that also has some good advice for you)
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=9174.msg113903#msg113903
    but after i studied for it again i knew the subject really well and that helped a lot when i started work.
    keep seeking God and you WILL find Him
    :)