Catholic Church

edited December 2004 in Faith Issues
Hey guys, i go to a catholic skool, and tho im orthodox i take ther communion at skool but i do not believe in it, i think of it as just food not communion...

is dis wrong?

[shadow=purple,left][glow=purple,2,300]- Mr. Coptic Orthodox[/shadow][/glow]

Comments

• OMG i used to do that too.. but i heard it was wrong.. so i stoped.. but it sure tasted goooddd ;D

OH MY GOD :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
    ..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    I'M A FULL MEMBER NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! WOW!!
    THNX GEORGE(G.J.I)!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

THNX TO EVERYONE!! I LOVE U ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    :-*
  • Doesn’t matter if you believe in it or not, when you commune with the catholic church you are agreeing to their faith... and excommunicating yourself from the Coptic orthodox church.
  • Doesn’t matter if you believe in it or not, when you commune with the catholic church you are agreeing to their faith... and excommunicating yourself from the Coptic orthodox church.

Wow! Thats pretty harsh. When your coptic bishops commune with catholics in the world council of churches or other ecuminical gatherings,are they excommuncating themselves from your tradition?
  • They never take communion with Catholics.... or with eastern orthodox...
  • take ther communion at skool but i do not believe in it, i think of it as just food not communion...

is dis wrong?

You think the body and blood of Christ is just "food"?The Bible says that those who do not discern the the Lords body and blood rightly{partake of communion in a worthy and respectful manner}can bring judgement upon themselves.Be very careful!It would be better not to take communion than take it in an unworthy manner.
  • They never take communion with Catholics.... or with eastern orthodox...

How sad!
  • i dont think i can give u an exact proper reason as to exactly why, but my priest said it was wrong.
    im assuming he knows heck of a lot more than i do, so i wont be doubting lol.

a reason it might be wrong is that they do not all 'eat of the same body', as far as i kno, they pray on one piece, then 'go to the back and grab some more' to give as communion. we are one in Christ's body thus we should all be eating from the same piece. as well, we have to finish the Body and Blood during for Communion, i heard they just stack up the 'bread' at the back and pull it out when needed. not enough respect there for the Body.
    another thing i heard is that they use 'unleavened' bread (crackers?).... we use leavened bread because at the time of the First Supper looong ago, our Lord Himself used leavened bread.

now im not sure about this at all, but i heard that the Blood can only be taken by the priest? im not too sure about that though, somthing about it not being available to the whole congergation. but i'm more sure of the other things i said.

ask your priest, and if he disagrees then trust the word of the man of God and enjoy the Coptic Communion! :D
  • There is nothing wrong in their communion, or the eastern orthodox communion, for them it is okay, it is the true body and blood of Jesus Christ (well for the eastern orthodox for sure, but I think Catholic think its only a representation, I could be corrected) and the same effect happens to them as to us, when we take communion. But it’s just all an excommunication thing....
  • hey crazycopt.. they do take the blood.. and they do store in the back and they're lil chips like breads.. thy're lil circles..
    they're diped in the blood and then given.. they're crunchy and yummy!! ;D
    i think that just like other christians rn't alowed to take our communion.. we rn't either... but my friends used to take it tooo and they weren't catholic either!! ???

Rina ;)
  • First, why do you take their communion anyway? You don't have the same faith as they do. What benefit do you derive from partaking in this?

Second, I also know of Copts who did this when I went to catholic school. I think the reason they did it was that tuition was lower by some amount if you were Catholic and so, to show they were "catholic", they took communion during the school masses. BUT we should never put money above our faith or God. It's wrong to take Catholic Communion as you are not baptized as a Catholic and since we have dogmatic differences with their church. As someone mentioned, I don't think they even believe it's the real body and blood of Christ but a representation (this may be applicable only to the American Catholic Church because some of the beliefs seem to have differed slightly from the Roman Catholic Church). In any case, several priests have said it's wrong -- so I would advise that you simply don't do it.

• First, why do you take their communion anyway? You don't have the same faith as they do. What benefit do you derive from partaking in this?

Because its the body and blood of Christ!Thats the benefit! Not because your orthodox or catholic.Or is Jesus Lord only of the Orthodox?Is Jesus Lord only of Catholics? Is Jesus not Lord of All? Jesus is Lord of Heaven and Earth.The Holy Spirit is the one who makes effective the benefits of the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.Not man. :)

• I don't think they even believe it's the real body and blood of Christ but a representation

This is wrong.They believe in the real presence Of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.That it turns into the real body and blood of Jesus Christ.This is the universal belief of the Roman Catholic Church.By the way, there is no diversity in the beliefs and doctrine of the" American" catholic church as opposed to that of the catholic church worldwide,only divergence in acceptance and in daily practice.In other words, some American catholics dont see things as the rest of the catholic world, but that is based on personal opinion and not on divergence of established doctrine.
  • Ya, i heard you guys and i try to stop, but everytime i say dont take me to the communion, evrybody around me shouts at me to get up and go , hwo cna i avoid these ppl?

[shadow=purple,left][glow=purple,2,300]- Mr. Coptic Orthodox[/shadow][/glow]

• This is wrong.They believe in the real presence Of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.That it turns into the real body and blood of Jesus Christ

I said I could be corrected on that comment… because I was not sure.... so thank you

Thats just wrong. I think we have to be careful with how confidently we assert things here. We are not authorities. I can say for a fact that there is nothing wrong with communing with Eastern Orthodox and partaking in their sacraments. Orthodox is Orthodox thats it, and I dont say this of my own - this is recognised by the Patriarch.

NO… we are not allowed to commune with the Eastern orthodox…. Ask any bishop, priest about that…. And that is because we excommunicated each other, thus we cannot commune with them.

Also who recognized that?... which patriarch?... is that why we are called heretics by the eastern orthodox churches... the unity is being worked on... not done yet... but being worked on by Anba Bishoy, the Metropolitan.
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father + and the Son + and the Holy Spirit +. The One True God. Amen[/glow].

The Roman Catholic Church believes that the bread and wine becomes the real Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ just like we Orthodox do. They call it "Transubstansiation".

Any Orthodox that partakes of Communion in a Non- Orthodox church self-excommunicates themselves. This is not because of some "tyrannical canonical ruling" but of the deep love and understanding Orthodoxy has about the sacramental significance of the Holy Eucharist! The Holy Eucharist unites us as one people,with "one Lord, one Faith,one Baptism"....Ephesians 4:5. When we partake of the One Eucharist, we are saying that we surrender ourselves to the Church's authority and teachings. To do otherwise is to bring judgement to ourselves (1 Corinthians 11:27-29) since we would be lying to the Lord Jesus Christ and His Church, the Household of God, the ground and pillar of the Truth (1 Timothy 3:15).

Thus if a Baptist takes communion in a Roman Catholic Church (in an Orthodox Church they usually would ask a visitor if they're Orthodox first) he would be lying to himself- since he doesn't believe in Roman Catholic teachings ( Papal infallibilty, Purgatory, Veneration of the saints, etc,.), to God- since he partook of communion with good intentions but did he truly understand the dignity of the real presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist?- and to the church laity- people will now think they have a new member in their parish.

Thus we can see how tragic this can be! Good intentions are not enuff! The Baptist also feels awkward now once the sacramental and communal signifance is explained. We as Orthodox don't want any Non- orthodox to go thru this embarassment. We respect all people by explaining that only Orhtodox who have fasted and gone to confession can partake of the Holy Eucharist.This way everybody is respected. Plus in Eastern Orthodox Churches, everybody (Orthodox.Non-Orthodox) gets in line after Liturgy to get as much Antidoron (blessed bread) as they like. This helps visitors to feel part of the community.

This is also a witness of the terrible division in Christianity :'(. May we be able one day partake of the one Eucharist and be of one Faith again under the Lord Jesus Christ.

Merry Christmas!!!
  • Actually we do share communion with some of the Eastern Orthodox Churchs. We share communion with the Syrian Orthodox Church, the Indian Orthodox Church, the Church of Antioch, the church of Ertria and there is one more church that I could not remember. Then why do our church remembers the patriarch of Antioch and the Patriarch of Ertria is because we have communion with them. However, we do not share commnuion with the Greek Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church because they believe that our Lord, God, and Saviour Jesus Christ has "two natures", sometimes He is God and sometimes He is human. However, "His Divinity parted not from His Humanity for a single moment, nor a twinkling of an eye" as our fathers say in the Liturgy. And that is what our Coptic Orthodox Church believes and so the other five Orthodox Church. Therefore we share communion with them. Our church also now is in the process of trying to share commnuion with the Greeks and the Russians. And I hope that will happen :) God Bless!
  • these are oriental Orthodox. and we commune with them.
  • Ok... dipping myself not by the tippy toes anymore into the forums, but, going in deeper LOL Which may get me into trouble. ;)

I get miffed (not angry... just bothered.... to be clear) when some say that Copts and Catholics are not of the same religion or believe in wildly different things.

I looked at the schism in which the Catholic and Coptic churches went their own ways and alot has to do with the politics of the times and the nature of Christ. Of course later on after the Council of Chalcedon in 451 other issues like Purgatory and whether Mary was born without Sin as it is in the Catholic faith also became points for further theological disagreements amongst Copts/Catholics, but, we basically believe most of the same things and have the same sacraments.

I don't think Copts would appreciate anyone saying that the Host in the Coptic faith are "chips" as someone said about the Catholic Hosts or misrepresenting their faith in this way, whether it is a joke or to be sarcastic. Respect goes both ways.

This will only result in turning away or disillusioning those of the RC church or other denominations who are thinking of conversion into our church.

God bless all
  • [center]†[/center]
    I was listening to some of the sermons here, and i was listenign to anba angaelos's and he says we are the only faith with a God who came in the FORM of a human and rose from the dead,

the catholics believe that HE WAS A HUMAN and then became God IN HEAVEN

hope that helps

gb
    [shadow=purple,left]
    [glow=purple,2,300]- Mr. Coptic Orthodox[/glow][/shadow]
    [center]†[/center]
  • Hey, i go to a Catholic school in Canada and in religion class the teacher always says wierd things like God can be a girl and the old testament didnt really happen and its just symbolism, is the whole Catholic Faith like that?
  • the catholics believe that HE WAS A HUMAN and then became God IN HEAVEN

:)

I dont know where you got your information but it just isnt true. Roman Catholics believe Jesus is the eternal God,the 2nd member of the blessed Trinity.I believe there view is almost 100% the same as the one held by Coptic Orthodox christianity.

I don't think Copts would appreciate anyone saying that the Host in the Coptic faith are "chips" as someone said about the Catholic Hosts or misrepresenting their faith in this way, whether it is a joke or to be sarcastic. Respect goes both ways.

I couldnt agree with you more.The Body and Blood of Jesus is still the same no matter which community of faith celebrate it.To speak ill of the Hosts is to mock the very body and blood of God.I know some do it in ignorance and God is very merciful,knowing that we are frail,ignorant creatures but we still should be very careful in belittling the things of our Lord God. :)
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. The One True God. Amen.[/glow]

Merry Christmas to all!

Please let me clarify something concerning Roman Catholic belief about the Hypostatic Union of Jesus Christ. They adhere to the definition of the Council of Chalcedon: Jesus Christ is One Person with 2 natures (fully God, fully Human), 2 wills. This is believed by The Eastern Orthodox as well by many Protestants. Catholic believed Jesus Christ was God before creation, since His conception, thru out His earthly Life and forever. I am lovingly clarifying this that way we can share proper info and i used to be Roman Catholic.

God bless and please pray for this big gamuz.