Inspirational Verses

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Lately, I have noticed that many of my friends have been going through many hardships in their lives. From major family problems, to stressing out over finals. Can you please share a few of your favorite Inspirational Verses or Coptic teachings (from desert fathers, the liturgy, agpeya, etc.) that will help those who need to be lifted up. Thanks.

Comments

• Actually all 151 Psalms.

I'm a Psalms man. 

When in doubt, read a Psalm. 
    When you are happy, read a Psalm.
    When you have any emotion, read a Psalm. 
    When you are studying, read a Psalm.
    When you need ideas, read a Psalm. 
    When you need to cast out the Devil, read a Psalm.
    When you want to read poetry, read a Psalm. 
    When you are looking for words to express yourself, read a Psalm.
    When you want to pray, read a Psalm. 
    When you want to memorize a poem, read a Psalm.
    When you want to understand parts of the Liturgy, read a Psalm. 
    When you want to talk to the Almighty, read a Psalm.
    When you are desperate, read a Psalm.
  • Psalm 27 as ilovesaintmark mentioned is wonderful  :)

"Do not rejoice over me my enemy, when I fall I will arise, when I sit in darkness, the Lord will be a light to me" (Micah 7:8)

“Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.” (Psalms 55:22)

“God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though its waters roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with its swelling.” (Psalms 46:1-3)

“The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, A refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.” (Psalms 9:9-10)

“Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:28-31)

“The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26)

“Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” (Revelation 21:1-4)

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior…” (Isaiah 43:1-3)

“I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.” (John 14:18 NKJV)

“The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knows those who trust in Him.” (Nahum 1:7)

“Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy. He who continually goes forth weeping, Bearing seed for sowing, Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, Bringing his sheaves with him.” (Psalms 126:5-6)

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:1-3)

“neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:12-13)

There are countless verses really. Just open the Bible, and the message is always clear.

pray for me

joe

• Then there is:  St. Matthew 6:25 to the end.  Read it slowly.  You have to allow it a chance to soak into your soul.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9197.msg114117#msg114117 date=1273007182]
    Actually all 151 Psalms.

I'm a Psalms man. 

When in doubt, read a Psalm. 
    When you are happy, read a Psalm.
    When you have any emotion, read a Psalm. 
    When you are studying, read a Psalm.
    When you need ideas, read a Psalm. 
    When you need to cast out the Devil, read a Psalm.
    When you want to read poetry, read a Psalm. 
    When you are looking for words to express yourself, read a Psalm.
    When you want to pray, read a Psalm. 
    When you want to memorize a poem, read a Psalm.
    When you want to understand parts of the Liturgy, read a Psalm. 
    When you want to talk to the Almighty, read a Psalm.
    When you are desperate, read a Psalm.

Couldn't agree more. As H.H. says "Learn the Psalms, and they'll preserve you" ("E7faz el mazameer te7fazak")
  • First Chapter, Gospel of St. John.

The three Epistles of St. John.

• All of the praises of the Midnight Psalmody are beyond beautiful and uplifting to the soul - as has been rightly said, praying the tasbeha is as if the earth has ascended to heaven, or heaven has descended to earth. Look at all of the lyrics of the 4 Hoos (Canticles) and the Psalis and Theotokias here: http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/cat/214

Here's a bit of the Saturday Psali:

Remembering Your holy name, brings joy to souls, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    Everyone blesses You, the heavenly and the earthly, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

For You alone are worthy, to be blessed, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    Truly You are worthy, of the glory and the honor, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

All the tribes of the earth, praise Your holy name, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    Six stone jars, You have changed into choice wine, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

Seven times everyday, I will praise Your holy name, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    With delight we praise You, all of us Your people, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

The beauty of Your holy name, is on the mouths of Your saints, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    From morning to evening every day, I will praise Your holy name, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

With every breath that I take, I will praise Your holy name, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    All the causes of sin, remove from our souls, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

All the thoughts of the enemy, may they be cast away from me, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    Every breath praises You, as said by the prophet, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

You are above all principalities, You are the King of kings, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    Yours is the glory with Your Father, and the Holy Spirit, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

Your name is blessed and sweet, in the mouths of Your saints, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    My mouth praises You, and my tongue glorifies You, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

Yes indeed we praise You, yes indeed we glorify You, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    We will never get weary, nor cease to praise You, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

All the praises of blessings, we send up unto You, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.
    Yours is the glory, the honor and thanksgiving, O my Lord Jesus Christ, my good Savior.

Try listening to the tune of the hymns too, they sound wonderful: http://tasbeha.org/mp3/Praises/Midnight_Praises/Deacons_of_St._Mark,_JC,_NJ,_English_Midnight_Praises.html
  • O, yea, how about:  The Aspasmos Watos (Vatos) of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, as it is chanted.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9197.msg114124#msg114124 date=1273008415]
    O, yea, how about:  The Aspasmos Watos (Vatos) of the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil, as it is chanted.

In Arabic is wonderful. Nearly makes me cry every time I hear it.
  • That's exactly how I feel!  It is my favorite chant in the Anaphora (proper).  It is glorious!  [Especially in the Arabic].

JG, you are right on.  You are a man of discerning taste.
  • "Do not sorrow for the joy of the Lord is your strength"
    Nehemiah 8:10 =]
  • These are wonderful. Thanks to all! I have just come to the realization that there is always a verse that goes so close to a persons heart that they think it was written for them and only them. I just looked over one that described the rare situation I have been put in better than I could if I spent years trying to express it! It was so personal that I felt as if God himself was speaking those words to me. What would we have done without Psalms!? lololololol
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9197.msg114126#msg114126 date=1273009480]
    That's exactly how I feel!  It is my favorite chant in the Anaphora (proper).  It is glorious!  [Especially in the Arabic].

JG, you are right on.  You are a man of discerning taste.

Thank you ilovesaintmark, the Aspasmos Watos is heavenly for sure  :D
    [quote author=gust123 link=topic=9197.msg114140#msg114140 date=1273045291]
    These are wonderful. Thanks to all! I have just come to the realization that there is always a verse that goes so close to a persons heart that they think it was written for them and only them. I just looked over one that described the rare situation I have been put in better than I could if I spent years trying to express it! It was so personal that I felt as if God himself was speaking those words to me. What would we have done without Psalms!? lololololol

I totally agree with this. God's words are not just words, they are Spirit and life. There is always a message there, always God's love, always his mercies when we fall or betray him.  God truly is Love, lets pray that we grow to love him more and more.

pray for me

joe