Revelation

edited December 2004 in Faith Issues
hey the other day i was reading the book fo revelations and i couldn't get any of it ???

and i wanted to knwo if anybody could explain the first 10 chapters or so, becuase i woudl liek to know what sum means, espciially chapter 4-9'

and wen dey say the 144,000 ppl left in israel what does that mean are they goign to die or live?

[glow=green,2,300]- Roaming[/glow]

Comments

• Roaming,
    Revelation is an AWSOME book. I think everybody shies away from it because we don't understand it. One thing I recomend is buy the commentary by Father Tadros Malaty and read them side by side, he explains ALOT.
    One tip though that I got from an abouna once. When we read the old testment, or any of the gosples or Epistles, they have a certain time frame that it follows, secuential events. In revelations, however, it keeps jumping between past events and future events. Keep that in mind while your reading it.
  • ok kool thnaks, any others?

[glow=green,2,300]- Roaming [/glow]
  • and wen dey say the 144,000 ppl left in israel what does that mean are they goign to die or live?

ok, first of all, Revelation is a symbolic book, misinterpreted by many. If u want to read a good orthodox explanation, then i would recommend the book by Fr Tadros Malaty as Coptic Boy said

As for the 144,000. Let's first take a look at that part of the chapter:

1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. 4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

in short, the 144,000 sealed, are God's people. This is a symbolic number (so, they are obviously not literally 144,000), nor are they per se from the tribes of the children of Israel. Israel in the new testament stands for the church in general; God's children, who became His children through adoption.

As for the 144,000 they represent all the people from the Old Testament + the people from the New Testament in Heaven who lived a good life.

12 tribes x 12 apostles x 1000

12 tribes: the righteous people from the Old Testament
    12 apostles: the righteous people from the New testament who followed the teachings of the apostles
    1000: a heavenly number, representing purity and righteousness

as for the full explanation in detail for the entire book of Revelation, u can dowload the attached .pdf file
  • hm, file was too big to be attached i guess :-\

if u want it, then pm me and i can send it over mail or messenger or anything

the book was on the site of saintmark i believe, but the link doesn't work. Perhaps the site is under constuction or something.
    if i find another link, i'll post it ;)
  • in the orthodox study bible, there are translations for every, or almost every verse. i can post some if you want.

Chapter 4:1- After this doesn't refer to a chronological order within the text of Chapters 1-4, but instead, it connects this next sequence with the initial vision, a vision which beholds past, present and future as one whole.St. John writes as it were, from inside the eye of an apocalyptic tornado, recording glimpses of the eschatological events which whirl by. The single open door through the vaultedfirmament(Gen. 1:7,8) allows vision into the depths of all mysteries, the celestial throne. Since earthly events have their origin in Heaven, true insight into history can be attained only from that vantage point(See Gen. 28:17; Ezek. 1:1; Mark 1:10; Acts 7:56). Come up, reminiscent of Moses' invitation from God to ascend MT. Sinai(Exodus19:24), is a command with liturgical overtones: to enter God's sanctuary, His "High Place"
  • Chapter 4:2,3- God is seen in biblical visions as sitting on a throne, a symbol of His sovereign Lordship( Ps. 47:8; Is. 6:1; Ezek.1:26-28; Matt.23:22)The image of the throne occurs over 40 times in revelation and is further described as " a great white throne" (20:11), a throne of judgment. But here His throne is surrounded by a rainbow(v.3) the sign of God's everlasting covenant according to which He will not judge man again as He did at the Flood(Gen9:12-17) Mercy triumphs over judgment(Matt. 9:13) Thus, in the Orthodox Church, the altar table is sometimes called "the throne"

Verse 4- The twenty four elders are usually interpreted to be elders of the Old and New Covenants: The 12 sons of Jacob and the 12Apostles, the fullness of both covenants. They are the foundation of the people of God(7:4; Matt. 19:28) These elders continually fall down befor God in worship, adoration and praise(4:11; 5:9; 10; 14; 11:16-18; 19:4)
  • Sorry but i can only post these verses. i'm soooooooo sorry, i have limited time. you get the idea though, the orthodox study bible is very helpful.thanks, and ill try to post more verses up, if i have time
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    +God Bless you+
  • ok coo, becuz this was very complicated to me

[glow=green,2,300]- Roaming[/glow]