the story of mary, is it tru

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
ok guys this is a story i heard from i believe church
however when i told my teacher who is a catholic sister, she looked at me as though she swallowed a lemon...

heres the story: mary, after giving birth to jesus, went to the temple, in which there was two lines, one for the virging and one for the married.
when mary went to the place of the virgins, she was critisized but then someone(i believe his name is samuel or simeon) told her she can stay.

can someone assure me im not loosing my marbales and that i didnt form this story by my mind's own accord.

in addition i would like to ask, if this story is intead tru, if there is any proff that i can tell my sisters in highschool? it does stinck going to cs. :-\

Comments

• o wow i've never heard that!!!!! :o
    i really haven't.. but who's samuel or simeon??
    r they sumwhere in the bible?? ask abouna abt that.. i will too.. i'll tell u wut he said.. if i remember.. but i'll try.. :)
  • Awad,‎
    Never heard of this story before. Besides, Virgin Mary, after giving birth to Jesus, she ‎would have stood in the line for the Married (cuz Joseph will be with her).‎
    As for Samuel person, I think you are talking about St. Simeon, His story goes like this. ‎This was one of the scribes in Jerusalem about 200 years before the birth of Jesus. One of ‎the roman rulers wanted to translate the old testament. So he called 70 scribes from Israel ‎who can translate from Hebrew to Latin. He divide them up in two groups of 35. Each ‎group would translate the entire Old testament. Then he would compare the translations ‎‎(they were separated, no communication between them, Not even e-mail, lol) to see if the ‎book would be preserved in translation (btw: it was the two copies were IDENTICAL, no ‎differences. It was a sign from God that there will be no alterations in His book). ‎Simeon's lot was to translate the book of Isaiah. When he came to the prophecy ‎‎"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and ‎bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel" (Isaiah 7:14). Simeon wanted to change it ‎since it didn't make sense (Virgin giving birth). Every time he comes to write any other ‎word but Virgin, his pen would break. After a few attempts, he prayed and an angel ‎appeared to him and told him that he will NOT die until he witnesses this event.‎
    When Jesus was born, virgin Mary and St. Joseph took him to the temple according to the ‎mosaic law, when St. Simeon saw him, he said this famous verse" Lord, now You are ‎letting Your servant depart in peace, according to Your word; for my eyes have seen ‎Your salvation, which You have prepared before the face of all peoples, a light for the ‎revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Your people Israel" (Luke 2:29-32). ‎
    thought this might help.‎
  • very helpfull,
    thanks, both of u
    im still wondering HOW i got a story like that in my head when its not even tru, wow i need to stop dazing during lectures, this is the result
  • I am sorry but I am not a professional so I would to like to know the ansewer please and thankyou and I am sorry I could not ansewer you question.