what the mean of 7/4
another question is when they do 7/4 hymns & songs
what they are, just the names of them
doesn't have to be in order
so i can know what hymns they say

Comments

• youstina04,

what the mean of 7/4

7&4 are simple what we say during that time, 7 for seven Theotokies (Theotokies comes from Theotokos which means Mother of God, Theotoky a Praise for the Mother of God, Greek or Latin orgins) and 4 Hooses or Canticles.

Regular Midnight Praise consists of the 4 hoses (or canticles) a Psali (A Praise to God) Doxologies (Praise to the Saints) and a Theotoky (Praise to the Mother of God)

The 4 Canticles do not change, so are the doxologies. However, there is a Psali and a Theotoky for every day of the week. They are divided in two groups by the days of the week and what Tune they are sung in.
    Adam: For Sunday thru Tuesday. It is a rather faster tune, more upbeat. it is called Adam, because the First word in the Monday Theotoky is "Adam".
    Batos (prounounced Vatos): for the rest of the week (Wednesday Thru Saturday) Rather slower tune. It is called Batos because the First word in the Thursday Theotoky is "Batos" Which means "higher place" in refrence to the burning bush that Moses saw in the mountain.

another question is when they do 7/4 hymns & songs
    what they are, just the names of them
    doesn't have to be in order
    so i can know what hymns they say

Originaly 7 & 4 was done every night of the week, but beacue of our life style and our work schedule, we started doing it as an all nighter on Saturdays. What we should do is say the 4 canticles, and the 7 Psalies and Theotokies and end it with a Liturgy.

What gets added especially for Kiahk are contemplations and explanations to these Psalis and Theotokies. Contemplatiosn usually proceed each Psali and explanations usually follow. There exists at least one contemplation and one explanation for each Psali and theotoky for the 7 days of the week. Due to time contrains, these are not all sung. Also, the Kiahk Hos is said at the beginning. There is the Hymn Mara7mak (your mercies) is a contemplation on Nekni (your Mercies Psali, a conclusion for the Adam Theotokies)

More info about the Tasbeha (midnight praise) can be found here.
    http://tasbeha.org/content/articles/praises_explained.php

I hope this clears things up a bit. BTW: sorry for all the typos.
  • that help alot