Music?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
ummm iz lisnen 2 ppl like jojo and hilary duff, BUT NO RAP still rong?

Comments

• Also John mayer, Dave Matthews, and Maroon 5..... my Fave. ;D
  • If you feel that the music you listen to sends out a clean, beneficial message, then there's nothing wrong with listening to it. If you're not sure about whether it's clean or beneficial, then ask yourself, "Would I listen to this in front of God or my parents?" And I think that most of the time you spend listening to music should be listening to hymns and things like that...
  • now dont get me wrong, I like music, but music is usually a bad influence on people, especially teens.
    even if the music is clean (as in without swearing, or it doesnt have murder all over it, or it is not violent or whatever) it still can be a cause of sin to those who hear it. most, not all, songs are about love and relationships and breakups and anything involving a male and female. all these words and meanings about such topics can cause the mind to think about those things, and more. it might even be a reason of sadness or despair in some people. it could be a cause of unclean thoughts and a lustful mind. our goal in life is Christ, and everything we hear, say and do should reflect Him and our love for Him. it should help us draw near to Him and should be an encouragement in our spiritual life. if we hear, see, read, etc anything that does not benifit our spiritual life, then why waste our time with it? our ultamite goal is to have a share of inheritance with all those saints up there enjoying Gods company.
    as well, many songs have hidden messages in them (some songs go as far has having messages of abandoning Christ and worshiping satan, none of which are obvious, but subliminal), and I doubt any of us would want thsoe messages in our minds.

none of what I'm saying did I come up with on my own, but it was from a sermon I heard by Bishop Sorial. he had a great talk about music and how harmful it is for the Christian youth. his talk was very factul, stastical, and moving, to the point that many of our youth, after hearing it, got rid of their cds and music. now no one is asking for that, but consider listening to alternatives, for example, whats wrong with tasbeha, hymns, or Christian songs you can download anywhere? you can still have the beat and the joy of the musical instruments, but the message is concentrated on God and you could learn somthing from listening to it.

please, no one take offence to what I've said, I dont mean to degrade or offend anyone, I still have much to learn from our fathers and servents about such controversial topics.
  • I totally understand both sides... but some music, i listen to just to calm my mind.... just the voice, the music, the poetic words... all combined :o, to me it calms me, and makes me feel GOOD, and that is what is needed. And since I’ve been listening to music, I became less violent, controlling my speech, and my actions... so some music is just listened to sooth the mind and the body. And to me the three I listed above, they do exactly that, and I don’t find that kinda of comfort, in hymns… yes I am a deacon, but still to me I feel that hymns has its time, and music has its time.
  • as someone has said,
    its all ur in ur head and its all about ur intentions,
    however i want to stress that even if this music is perfectly clean and pefectly sweet, u should keep in mind:

its ok to listen to music once or twice a day, but to overdo it to the oint where u absolutely need that cd or that cd player, than be carfeul. Is good to keep things balanced, noones telling u to be a monk if ur not up to it, and noones restricting u but its always a good sign that the tones stuck in ur head is tasbeha or hyms instead of hilary duff.

keep things clean and in proportion and keep listening to hyms and ur ok!
  • helllloooooooo.. wussup ppls? kidding..
    umm i didn't read wut u guys wrote except 4 the first reply bcz i'm too lazy.. oops :-X i shouldn't have said that out loud.. lol
    I BELIEVE LISTENING TO MUSIC IS TOTLAY NOT WRONG I MEAN I CONSTANTLY LISTEN TO MUSIC.. LYK ALL THE TYM.. BUT IF ITS LYK BAD.. LYK CUSING AND SEXUAL STUFF THEN ITS A BIG FAT NOOOOOOO.. ARABIC MUSIC IS MY SPECIALTY!!! I LOVE IT!! ;D

RINA ;)