Psalm 151

Does anyone where i can i get interpetation or commentary on this psalm by one of the church fathers.  Saint Augustine only goes up to 150, i was wondering whether Saint John Chrysostom goes that far.  If anyone could direct me to the link or where to find the source that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Comments

• I haven't found commentary on this Psalm yet, but while looking I found this most wonderful letter by St Athanasius which I read last night with great benefit to my soul.

It doesn't take too long to read. 15-20 minutes perhaps. But in this letter St Athanasius explains the great value of the Psalter, and how each Psalm can be usefully prayed in a variety of circumstances. Truly this is a useful text and I urge us all to read it. I had not come across it before.

http://www.athanasius.com/psalms/aletterm.htm

God bless those who take the time to read this letter

Father Peter

• yipee!
    you found this online!
    i bought this and then lent it to a friend, it's great to 'have' it again!
    everyone should read this (slowly) and then read each psalm he discusses and meditate on it. it will probably take a few weeks, but is a great Bible study, especially for those seeking renewed closeness with God during the holy fast of lent.
    thank you so much, father peter
    :)
  • What a marvelous and caring letter by the great St Athanasius the Apostolic and Defender of The Faith. Thank you so much Father Peter. I'll keep and save the page content and send this link to others for their benefit.

GBU
  • So i am guessing there is no commentary out there on this psalm at all...
  • There is undoubtedly some commentary on Psalm 151, but not in English as far as I can see, and not in any easily accessible patristic text.

Even a Greek collection of commentaries on the psalms did not have anything for Psalm 151 and so used a similar themed commentary from 1 Cor.

This could be a project for you?

Father Peter
  • I found a concise explanation for Ps 151 in the pages of Ava Bishoy Monastery site.
    http://katamars.avabishoy.com/bible/old/21-Al-Mazameer/151-.htm

After this page translation via Google language tool (and numerous corrections):

This psalm was written by David about himself.

Organ = cut wooden pipes David made a musical instrument with and used it to glorify the Lord with joy, as Christ who redeemed us has made the Church glorify Him.

Only God knows all what's in my heart and He responds to me favorably.

In the Spirit of prophecy he prophesied about Christ the Good Shepherd.
    As David was despised by Jesse and the adult brothers who did not invite him to eat with them and with Samuel because of his childhood, so the Jewish leaders and priests despised Christ.
    Christ was taken from the midst of human beings = my father took me out of my sheep, and I was anointed = as in baptism.
    Big Brothers symbolize the Jews who did not please the Lord, and instead He chose the Gentiles (in Arabic = the Nations) who are represented in the person of Christ.

The story of the triumph of David over Goliath is a symbol of the victory of Christ over Satan to remove the shame put on humans who had been enslaved.

Therefore, the Church read this Psalm the night of Abu Galamsis, the night of Holy Saturday, after Christ has defeated Satan by the Cross, His sword, which had been prepared by Satan to attack Jesus Christ but instead Christ struck the devil.

I hope it's accurate and useful.
    GBU

edit: is this Psalm absent from the KJV/NKJV??
    Hos Erof: the phrasing you use for the contemplation is very nice and edifying.
  • A personal contemplation is how David used the actual sword of Goliath to defeat him, just like Christ used the weapon of the devil (death) against him to deliver us from the bondage of death and the devil.

EDIT: i just realised a simulair contemplation is in the last alinea of the last post, sorry ;D
  • psalm 151 is absent from protestant and catholic Bibles. it's one of the few parts that are not in the catholic Bible, otherwise the catholic and orthodox Bibles are nearly the same.
    the protestants don't have:
    tobit
    judith
    wisdom of solomon
    ecclesiasticus (sirach)
    baruch
    letter of jeremiah
    maccabees

so they have missed out these parts, but the parts we all share are very valuable for knowing God.
  • Thank you,
    you guys have been very helpful, but if anyone has anything else to share from any sources, please please do.
  • And thank you John_S2000 for translating
  • There are many commentaries on Psalm 151. Just go to books.google.com and search for Psalm 151. But not much from patristic sources.

Father Peter