Coptic Convents in Egypt

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello,
I wanted a list of all the Coptic convents in Egypt. I am particularly interested in whether there are any convents that resemble Egypt's monasteries in their being outside of cities and in a desert/deserted area.

Thanks and please pray for me.

Comments

• I know there is a Convent that was built on the burial site of St. Mary of Egypt. Since it was built by the same persons who built their Monastery's; I'm pretty sure it has the same architectural design as the Egyptian Monastery's. You should be able to find an image online I think.

GB
  • Actually, I think she was buried in Palestine, not Egypt. I was interested in Coptic convents in Egypt. Please and thank you.
  • Yes, actually, I think u r right. St. Mary of Egypt was in the Jordon. Sorry I am a bit geographically challenged  :D.

Here is a link to The Convent of St. Mary the Virgin in Egypt:
    http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/haretzuwaila.htm

GB
  • Interesting. I was skimming through this article I found http://egypt.cla.umn.edu/1-PB pdfs/vanDoornH.pdf and it seems there are no convents in the desert because it has been seen as unsafe for women to live in the desert by themselves. Is it true that there are no convents in deserts and all in within cities?

What if a coptic woman wanted to go to a convent similar to a monastery, practice, and physical remoteness--what could she do?
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=8816.msg110515#msg110515 date=1266006313]
    I know there is a Convent that was built on the burial site of St. Mary of Egypt. Since it was built by the same persons who built their Monastery's; I'm pretty sure it has the same architectural design as the Egyptian Monastery's. You should be able to find an image online I think.

GB

Hey, I have a question, is this a Coptic Orthodox Convent, or if not, which church has a convent there?

Thanks.