Lent and Laughing

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Selam everyone,

I have a question,

During this Lent are we supposed to avoid conversation, or things that would make us laugh?
Because i have friends in a lot of my classes and would like to know what to do...

Thank you and may God help you to answer this question.

Comments

• I don't know, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea.
  • Depends on the conversation or the type of laughter.

You know very well what you should talk about and not; and also what you should laugh about or not.

The Bible says:  "Everything was created for me, but not everything is good for me."  One of the most wonderful verses.  I think it also
    sets wonderful parameters.

A Good Lent to you!
  • [quote author=Tzegemariam link=topic=8794.msg110238#msg110238 date=1265734872]
    Selam everyone,

I have a question,

During this Lent are we supposed to avoid conversation, or things that would make us laugh?
    Because i have friends in a lot of my classes and would like to know what to do...

Thank you and may God help you to answer this question.

Hang on, you mean you have friends who are always joking around and as a result it is hard to know what to do because you are abstaining from joking?

This is a difficult situation in that case.

I hate it when people fast, and as a result of the fasting, offend others. It is pointless. I'm sure your friends mean no harm.

In my opinion, I would stick to fasting according to the Church rules such as abstaining from all animal products.

THen abstain from sin.

After you have succeeded in doing this, then I think do some service to help the poor.

When you have completed all these things, leave your friends and become a monk - you've probably earned it by then!!

lol
  • Too much laughter removes the fear of God, I believe St. Pope Kyrillos said this. In any case it is correct. Laughter and joking are not bad in moderation. I have found myself watching comedies and stand-up comedy, and became completely defunct, spiritually. If you have a tendency to joke alot or play around alot it would probably be a good idea to be aware of that so you dont go overboard.

CertifiedOrthodox, I offend people all the time and I am not even trying. I think God comes first and if someone is offended by say, refusing food because it is not fasting food, then so be it. If you are attempting to offend someone then yes that is bad. Maybe I misunderstood what you said, if so I apologize.
  • I agree with Ioannes-- I think excessive laughter does not fit well with the spirit of the Great Lent, which is a supposed to be a quiet time of contemplation and **repentance**...how can one laugh while he is asking for God's forgiveness? The whole season's spirit and hymns center around asking God's forgiveness, repentance, trying to stop sin from its causes, growing closer to the Lord, and developing better self-control. If you have these goals in mind for the fast, then you have got your answer!
  • LOL...

I always tell people, why were the children attracted to Jesus... and I will give you an exercise to do... next time you are in church or around children be serious... and don't you dare smile or laugh... and see how they will approach you... they wont!

yet they did to Jesus, why do you think they did... to the point that the apostles had to forbid them from coming to see Him... Jesus smiled... I know what a shock!

and the bible said it clearly, wash your face and put oil in your hair, so people don't notice you are fasting... so you will not smile so you can show people you are fasting?!

something we fall into is we feel that being sad and gloomy is the right life with God... but it is not! you will know you are close to God by how happy you are!

another thing... this comes from the ascetic fathers' teaching to not show your teeth when you laugh... so even the ascetic fathers didn't forbid laughing.

the only kind of tradition story that I can think of, is Lazarus after the Christ rose him from the dead, he never smiled because what he saw in hell... otherwise there is nothing else that talks about not laughing... that I can remember!

laugh, smile, and be happy... God wants you to laugh and be happy... but remember as mentioned before we are judged on every idle word... so control your tongue... and since we are talking about the Great lent... as mentioned before, focus on your canons... your self control... and be charitable!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • [quote author=user00 link=topic=8794.msg110302#msg110302 date=1265770555]
    I agree with Ioannes-- I think excessive laughter does not fit well with the spirit of the Great Lent, which is a supposed to be a quiet time of contemplation and **repentance**...how can one laugh while he is asking for God's forgiveness? The whole season's spirit and hymns center around asking God's forgiveness, repentance, trying to stop sin from its causes, growing closer to the Lord, and developing better self-control. If you have these goals in mind for the fast, then you have got your answer!

Not just lent. I have viewed lent as coming closer to God. Its not about what you have to give up for God, but what you are willing to sacrafice to be closer to God. So after lent you should not go back to old habits that may have plagued you before lent. Each lent is like a step. This is why reading the ladder of divine ascent is a very good thing.
  • Yea, that's what I meant--that lent is a time to stop old sins and implement new virtues--and the progress made this time should continue after Lent is over with. This is what I meant; sorry if I didn't make it clear.
  • ok, i think there are 2 kinds of reasons for laughing.
    there is being superficial and telling jokes and watching comedy, and i think we it is healthy cut down on this during lent in order to concentrate on praying and Bible study.

and there's laughing with joy when you hear of the goodness of God, like i did today with some Christian friends who described God's mercy and incredible goodness to them in their spiritual lives.
    so i think we should be balanced and not loud and ignorant but also not stiff and miserable either.
  • good point