Orthodox Christian fighting in Jerusalem- Video

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Psalms 133 :'Behold, how good and pleasant it is,when brothers dwell in unity'!

If you like to learn more about the troubles between the various Orthodox churchs (fights between the Armenians and the Greeks, the Ethiopians and the Copts- ) in Jerusalem,this video is a great source.These monks have died for the world,but they fight and knock down each other for wordly things.Simply inexplicable.

The Deir Sultan dispute

Holy War - Jerusalem

Comments

• wow
    this is really sad
    i can't imagine the Coptic Orthodox people are involved in this
    May God have mercy on them and Help change their mentality
  • This is a disaster. A real disaster.

I thought the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Ethiopian Church were sisters? Why are they stealing from each other?

There some very unchristian quotes said by a lot of Orthodox priests:

" I hit back to protect my rights"

Sure, that's what anyone secular would do. I would never have thought that hitting back is a Christian act to do - I thought it would be to turn the other cheek.

ANyway, seeing as we are forbidden to go to the Holy Land anyway, we might as well let our Ethiopian brothers have the Church anyway.

The Armenian priests in the 2nd video seem really violent. I think the patriarchs should excommunicate anyone who fights in any of the Holy Sites.
  • The lastest Bibilical Archeology Review (Feb2010) has a very funny story regarding the fighting of them brothers in the Holy Land.

In their website,they posted only a fraction of the article.One needs access to view the whole material. So, I will copy and paste what is posted in their site and will add few words of my own as I do not wish to violate the rules.

Who Moved the Ladder?

BEFORE

AFTER

This much is posted in their website:

Warring Monks Threaten Destruction of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre” read a 2008 New York Times headline. The article describes what is only the latest of the numerous conflicts, some of them violent, among the six different churches that divide dominion over the site considered by most scholars to mark the authentic tomb of Jesus.In 1757 the ruling Ottomans promulgated a firman (Arabic for “decree”) that was supposed to establish a status quo defining the rights of the church communities with claims to the site: Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, Coptic, Syrian Orthodox and Ethiopian. The status quo decree was reaffirmed in 1852".

Shortly before the status quo decree was issued, some placed a wooden laden in a window ledge above the church entrance ( See the BEFORE Image). And it has been there ever since.It must not be moved.According to the documents the window belongs to the Armenians.The moulding on which the ladder stands belongs to the Greeks.So,the lArmenians must not remove the ladder , cos it sits on Greek property.Only Greek Ortho can go there and change anything on it.But there is another problem here for the Greeks too,namely the ladder leans on the property of the Armenians.Only the Armenians can change something that touchs the window.In other words, no body has control over the ladder.Since the invention of Photography,the ladder appears on every photograph on the right window (See the before pic).Last year,however, someone moved the ladder and rested it on the left window ( see the After pic). Who moved the ladder and why??No one knows. But before war broke out,the Ladder was moved back to its original resting place to where it has been for 200 years.
  • i think we should pray for our brothers who are under pressure caught up in the very complicated politics that is israel and palastine. the most famous disputes in al quds (jerusalem) are now historical (eg that quote from 2008) and it seems to me there has been some improvement since holy pascha 2009.
    now we are in great lent, lent us be unceasing in our prayers for our brothers in that church, and other churches, that God may use them to demonstrate to others the mystery of His suffering, death and resurrection and of the peace we can only find through Him.
  • Apparently, the latest news is that the Greek Patriarch in Jerusalem sold a lot of land that belonged to the CHurch to the Israelis right from under the nose of his congregation.

He is the most hated man now in the Greek Orthodox Church. They have demoted him to position of "monk".

•   When I see and hear about scenes like these, it really makes me appreciate more the Saints who despised this world and its vainity and materialism to go off and live in solitary places.

Honestly on one hand it seems very funny to me to see men dressed in holy garb, but fighting like unholy men. Then on the other hand I realize the seriousness of the acts and how damaging it is.
    I love the little cards handed out to us at the CoC before Christmas; one said Do not give the devil a foothold. (Ephesians 4:27).
    I think when we fight over possesions thats all we do: give the devil a foothold and he'll just keep on climbing and riding us until we are as miserable as him.