Judas Ischariot

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello;

I was watching an older version of the  Jesus movie two days ago when I suddenly began thinking about the betrayal of Judas to His Master.
Why was it necessary for Judas Ischariot to betray the Lord? So that the scriptures are fulfilled? If so, what is the reason behind such a scripture? In other words, what was the nature of Judas' betrayal?

Thanks for any clarifiction.

Comments

• hello,
          In reply to the nature of Judas's betrayal. It was a matter of trust that was betrayed. When Jesus said to his disciples, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything? They replied, "Nothing." Jesus' message was: not only was he to guide them but to provide all they needed as well. For to trust him in this world your reward will be even greater in Heaven.
          Then there are those who live for this world who don't trust because of their own ego or the rewards that grant their own satisfaction. Judas disobeyed Jesus in this regard that he kept a money bag and knapsack. Then Jesus offered Judas the bread , signifying the flesh, which was for this world only. Not the wine which is the Spirit, therefore for heaven. Jesus also said, "He who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Judas living for this world had lost Jesus' protection as well. Jesus had showen them their souls but Judas had sold his cheaply. Later on when he was given the money for the betrayal he realised his mistake and that the reward he received was nothing compared to what Jesus offered he was crushed completely.
                                                                          May God bless you with the enrichment of your soul for it's benefit
                                                                                  to you is a maturity that grows in understanding of the Spirit.

• Hi Joshuaa,

Thanks for your comments and blessings and welcome to the forum.

Yes, I do agree with you that Judas betrayed the trust of his friend. When one commits an act of betrayal, I think, it means one gives secret unlawful plans or goals, subversive intensions, about you to state authorities.For example,recently there was a case in Canada of an Egyptian Muslim who ,for whatever reason (probably for money) infiltrated and spied upon a group of muslim terrorists and played a major role in stopping a disasterous terrorist act by informing the police.In this instance , the informant committed an act of treason by betraying their trust and exposing them as dangerous criminals and callous murderers .So, betrayal  is not only the violation of trust,but it also involves revealing someone's secrets to others.Jesus has always spoken openly and had no secrets. He was a well know teacher and personality to all. Everybody knew the places he frequented. The Lord has often spoken and debated  with the Jewish authority so mjuch so that there should be no need for them to depend on Judas to find and catch the Him. There was also no need for Judas to identify his well known Master,for example, by kissing. 

So My basic question is ,as what did Judas betray Jesus? As a thief, as a criminal, as a rebel??
  • Hi Hezekiel,

Wow, our GOD is sooo very amazing! For me it is very mind-boggling.....how difficult it is for man to understand the ways of GOD. Nothing is wasted, nothing is done without purpose.....really it is too awesome to explain. Like how the Holy Spirit pleads for us in sounds we cannot make or comprehend....only GOD can.

I think Judas' betrayal is a lesson for mankind, even such a terrible act has a lesson in it. A very valuble lesson still today because people still put money and material before GOD! CHRIST knew Judas was stealing from the money bag, yet HE allowed Judas to carry the money bag....CHRIST knew that is what Judas was interested in.....money, not salvation. How sad! Yet still the world today is mesmerized by the love of money and material and seem doomed to be like Judas and will even use something like a 'kiss' or like the false 'love' of this world which is really lust to seem innocent when it is really not, but leading to damnation.

What was CHRIST'S crime?? We know HE is the Way the Truth and the Light! HE is and was sinless, yet HIS own knew HIM not! Blinded by the Great Deceiver, The Devil, they allowed evil to control their thoughts and actions and accused the innocent JESUS of crimes he did not commit.

GB
  • Hi Ηεζεκιελ,

There is an aspect of this that is very often neglected when we discuss Judas or even Pharaoh of Egypt and other figures in the Bible that are exemplified as resisting God and receiving their recompense.

The Bible uses very specific language chosen by God to illustrate the work of God and the story of his salvation as told to man. The reason its described in the way it is is because it uses the best language and expression for us believers to both understand the work of God and achieve salvation.

What I know of God in my own personal experience is that he treats each of us equally and He works to save everyone whether they know it or not, want it or not or believe it or not.

The way we talk about Judas can be flipped on its head if we look at it through the perspective of the cross of Christ.  In the garden of Gethsemane we saw the betrayal of Judas then the corrupt high priest and the self serving Pilate being instrumental in the condemnation and death of Jesus, the way the Lord saw the event was very different to this.  He prayed to the Father and asked if it was the will of His Father that it would happen and that the cup would pass from Him if it was not.  Through the whole horrible event He saw the experience as being the will of His Father rather than the result of the conduct of a few corrupt individuals and this is the point, the Bible focuses on who God is, what He does and paints history in light of how God has been working through it for the sake of our salvation.

If the Bible was a book about the deeds of man could you imagine how many pages of the Old Testament would have been spent whinging about what Adam did?  :P

God bless
  • Greetings Elsa and Lifeindeath,

thank you for your insights. I certainly do agree with your comments.
    I was just thinking about the betrayal of Judas,while I was watching the Jesus movie. For example, what if Judas had repented and abandoned the idea of delivering Him to the Jews? The Jews would have caught and delivered Jesus to the Romans sooner or later.What I do not understand is the role Judas' betrayal played in the whole drama.I hope I make sense.
  • Have you been able to read the commentary of St Cyril on the Gospels of Luke and John, in those passages where he deals with Judas? They are available here ...

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers

It seems from a brief study of these passages that St Cyril did not think in terms of Judas hesitating between betrayal and loyalty, but that he had wholly given himself over to avarice and the devil had entered into him. He has much to say about Judas, but he does not write as though Judas' actions were pre-determined, even if they were foreseen by God.

The Ancient Christian Commentary Series has a volume covering the section in the Gospel of St Matthew which deals with the section where Judas repents. It contains some interesting sections. I imagine also that the Catena of Thomas Aquinas would also contain interesting patristic materials. I don't know if this link will work properly...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iVh9AIkZN2QC&pg=PP4&dq=ancient+christian+matthew&cd=1#v=onepage&q=field of blood&f=false

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8745.msg109879#msg109879 date=1265147770]
    Greetings Elsa and Lifeindeath,

thank you for your insights. I certainly do agree with your comments.
    I was just thinking about the betrayal of Judas,while I was watching the Jesus movie. For example, what if Judas had repented and abandoned the idea of delivering Him to the Jews? The Jews would have caught and delivered Jesus to the Romans sooner or later.What I do not understand is the role Judas' betrayal played in the whole drama.I hope I make sense.

Greetings Hez,
    My understanding is that CHRIST'S time on earth with us was full of teachings. Every action HE did was for the Divine purpose.
    Judas' betrayal was another lesson. Did u read yesterday's synaxir about the evil tax collector who repented his ways and became a Saint? GOD shows us the endless depth of HIS  love in that even though Judas was a thief and worse he still was shown mercy and given a chance to confess and repent. Yes the Romans would have still found JESUS or JESUS probably would have surrendered HIMSELF; but we would have missed this interesting study and story of human nature and its frailties
    Thank you and,

GB
  • This issue is heavy in regards to soteriology, for Judas is counted among those "gathered together against Your Holy Servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, to do as much as Your hand and Your plan predestined to occur." (Acts 4:27) And Christ was fully aware of this as the hour of His betrayal approached. But the Fathers wanted to make an example of Judas' betrayal to unveil the immorality behind it, to show the laity how evil manifests itself within men.

But Christ Himself also suffered not only the torment of the betrayal, but the foreknowledge of this betrayal in concordance with the Will of the Father, for it was Christ who spoke and said, "Two sparrows are sold for an assarion, are they not? And one of them does not fall on the ground without the Will of your Father." (Matthew 10:29)