is it wrong to like boys

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
is it wrong to like boys/girls when we are coptic. i just want to know because since i know a lot of americans and i have sorta learned from them what they do and what they like and it doesn't seem bad to me because im not doing anything wrong so i hope you guys could make a lot of posts to help me out on this

Comments

• there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking people from the opposite sex. its a natural, God-given emotion/feeling. how old are you btw? just so everyone knows and can help you better
  • [quote author=MaRy:) link=topic=8417.msg106964#msg106964 date=1255992135]
    is it wrong to like boys/girls when we are coptic. i just want to know because since i know a lot of americans and i have sorta learned from them what they do and what they like and it doesn't seem bad to me because im not doing anything wrong so i hope you guys could make a lot of posts to help me out on this

what's wrong is taking action upon that in the wrong time (age) of your life.
  • +ask your confession father. He will guide you through the Holy Spirit to wat is acceptable by God.
    "For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." -James 4:14
    Matthew 6:33-"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."
  • the short answer: no.
    we are designed to be attracted to members of the opposite sex, like adam and eve.
    it's wrong to kiss them (especially french kiss) or do other things before marriage.
    it is normal teenage life to see someone on tv or from your family's friends and think 'ahh, how lovely he is!'.
    just remember most of these feelings are a passing phase, and if it involves someone famous or your dad's best mate, then don't think of these feelings too much, they will pass and you will grow out of it.
    if you think of someone all the time and you can't pray or study, then it becomes wrong as it takes over your life and is like idolatory.
  • it is not wrong whatsoever to like boys/ girls, however it wrong to do things past holding hands or hugging, such as kissing, until you are married. the concept of boyfriends/girlfriends is not really as much a coptic issue as it is just a general egyptian cultural issue. so the concept is not wrong, its what you make out of it :). you could always use that person to lift you up spiritually :), like i used to have a girlfriend and we had bible studies together all the time
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is it wrong to like the same gender?
  • it is not wrong to like the opposite gender, however it is VERY wrong to like the same gender
  • i would like to add that many normal teenagers go through a phase of liking the same gender. the modern culture in developed countries says that 'anything goes' so they think if you feel a warm flush in your chest as you look at someone that must mean it's a sexual urge. it's not! i (female) 'was in love with' my female school teacher when i was 5 years old. only a psycho would think a 5 year old's feelings might be sexual! i just went shy when i saw her and thought she was lovely. this lasted a few months and was just strong admiration.
    often (esp during teenage years and just before) we really want to be good-looking, strong, intelligent and amusing and so we admire people of our gender who are everything we want to be. this is not wrong. however with all our relationships (i'm talking to everyone now, even the oldies) there is a danger that we can cross the line to wrong thoughts, as the devil likes to tempt us in every way. so we need to stop those thoughts and take them to God if they are heading towards being sexual thoughts about someone we are not married to.

people who are not Christians will look at teenagers who admire people of the same gender and point and say 'aha! you are gay! you see that proves we are right to say anything goes! how can a loving God prevent you from having a loving relationship with that person you desire?'
    the answer is that God created us and REALLY knows what's best and acting on these feelings when you are young either stops you from growing out of them naturally or, in the case of people who have had traumatic childhoods, puts a block in the way of them getting the healing God really wants them to have. i know and work with gay people and i love them and want them to be successful in their work and have good friends. i would stand up for them if they got abuse for being gay. however i would be really happy if they could come to God and see that what He has to offer them is far more satisfying and more beautiful than the relationships they have.

a note to jibrahim23, i remember being in school and everyone had boyfriends and girlfriends. to me it just seemed silly, what's the point of people acting like they are really in love and going to get married etc, when you know deep down you'll 'grow out' of the feeelings in a few months or years? you are smart when you say it's normal to have feelings, and it's not right to act on them. you would be just breaking your heart before it's strong enough to get broken in this way.
    yes, may God have mercy on us.