Head Coverings

I was wondering if anyone knew, why priests of the COC [and some other denominations] cover their heads during the Holy Liturgy?
I would assume, its out of respect?  But if that was the case, shouldn't the whole congregation cover their heads, let alone, the deacons who actually serve inside the altar?

Comments

• [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=8342.msg106366#msg106366 date=1253261817]
    I was wondering if anyone knew, why priests of the COC [and some other denominations] cover their heads during the Holy Liturgy?
    I would assume, its out of respect?  But if that was the case, shouldn't the whole congregation cover their heads, let alone, the deacons who actually serve inside the altar?

not all the ranks of deacons cover their heads. only full deacon's and up becuase it would be the first rank of "clergy"...not to say that the other ranks are not of clergy; it's just that it's the first rank that is done through the laying of the hands.

as for the main question, i have an answer some where home.....hehe 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Along the same vein, can someone tell me the name of the head dress that these Coptic Orthodox priests are wearing?

By the way this last picture is a picture of Abouna Misaeil, who is the Abouna of the Coptic Orthodox Church I am visiting this upcoming Sunday.
  • it's called "'emma"...., arabic name of corse. The ' refers to the latte 'een which is no in the english language.
  • Hi, I am from Ethiopia. I want to know if in the Egyptian Orthodox Church women cover their heads during liturgy. (Or is it also men? I didn't see men covering on one Coptic liturgy video but I never get the chance to glance on what the women were wearing)

In the Ethiopian Church, the prreists dress somehow very similar with the above picture. But the other people, men do not cover heads but women are expected to (and also wear long dress or skirt as much as possible. Trousers and shorts are not encouraged)

Are the rules for the other people similar in the Egyptian Orthodox church?
  • Ya, women cover their hair during the liturgy.  Actually, I've heard one Bishop state that women must cover their hair at all times, during prayer, regardless if it's during the Holy Liturgy or at home.

Men don't cover their hair, which was why I asked the original question lol, to find out the reasons why?  Both males and females are asked to come to church in acceptable clothes, as you said no shorts, or tank tops, or revealing clothes in general.
  • Yes the bishop is right. I, for example cover my head with "netela" when I pray in the evening (at home) and many women do. But during inconvenient times (if they go to sb's house and probably be engaged in some kind of prayer and there is nothing arround that they can wear), they pray without covering heads (but it is generally not encouraged)

This thing, about men not wearing anything on their head and women wearing, is mentioned somewhere in the bible. I think it is in one of St. Paul's messages. I don't remember which.
  • For head coverings it is mentioned in 1Corinthians Chapter 11 Verses 1-15.

May God bless you.
  • From what i remember a women must cover her head because her hair is her crown and it is not appropriate for one to wear a crown when she is going to greet the king of kings