The Holy snakes of the Theotokos

edited September 2009 in Random Issues

Hi Folks,

Does anyone here likes snakes? Well, I find just the sight of it revolting, even when watching it on TV. For example, look at this rattle snake in the following link ( ) and decide for yourselves.

However, I came across something very strange.  In a Greek orthodox Chruch, every year during the time of the fasting of the Virgin Mary, snakes that have the sign of the cross on their head and tongue appear out of nowhere and venerate the icons of the Blessed Mother. I dont quite see snakes as holy creatures, but as the Blessed Virgin is regarded as our New Eve who trampled  the old serpent  , maybe that is what the following two clips of a miraculous happening might be suggesting.

PART 1
PART 2

Comments

• its very interesting... I'm not shocked at all, the Orthodox church is filled with many wondrous mysteries....

and I find it fitting for this topic to say... happy Saint Barsoum the naked's feast!

Akhadna el baraka... neskhor Allah!
  • that is weird to hear though considering the fact that because of a snake "serpent," we were cast out of Paradise.
  • ok, i have a break in my night shift, so i decided to do some internet research for you.
    the 1st thing i found was on orthodoxwiki:
    http://orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Snakes
    but this seems to have the same primary source as the youtube clip, so could be from the same author.

then i found this great and very balanced, careful analysis by an american guy, who is orthodox:
    http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/08/holy-snakes-of-virgin-examining.html

it's really long (in 3 parts) but if you want an example of how to do research for a university degree, read it all, i was very impressed by his level of analysis and references.
    his blog says he works in education and has a masters degree, i wonder if he did his thesis on these snakes!

the short version is here:
    it's probably normal animals that would normally hang around this area at this time, being used by God to bless people by appearing at the fast of the virgin saint mary and making the people happy by their gentle behaviour.
    there are some people who link the snakes to a legend of nuns turning into snakes, but this is unlikely.
    i personally think the legend is not true as we know people's spirits do not become animal spirits.
    anyway, if i am ever in greece in august, i'll take a look!
    :)