Wisdom

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
To those who are familiar with the Fraction on Wisdom

It says: Those who seek Wisdom find Grace.
and im sure it says that in the book of proverbs i dont remember where

Anyway, this question is aimed at those who are a bit more learned in the topics of the church,
i would also love to hear back from father peter on this one

How is it that i seek wisdom?
what is it in the Christian life that shows i am seeking wisdom?

Comments

• I am not the best person to ask since I continue to need to learn to grow in wisdom.

But I would suggest that first of all the wisdom we are speaking of is a gift of God and is not the same as intelligence or being clever. As a gift of God it is spiritual. Very, very briefly, and I am speaking to myself as much as you.

Ex 28:3 speaks of the wise-hearted as being those whom God has filled with the spirit of wisdom.

Deut 4:6 speaks of wisdom and understanding being found in keeping the statutes and judgements of God.

Psa 111:10 teaches us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

It would be worthwhile for you to install E-Sword or some other Bible software and search for the word wisdom - it occurs 222 times in the KJV - and reflect on each instance.

We surely seek wisdom as we seek any other spiritual gift, by turning our hearts and minds towards God and asking him for this gift. It is not, as far as I can see, a gift of being clever, but a gift of understanding. We cannot grow in understanding if we do not seek to live holy lives in accordance with God's will, neither can we grow in understanding if we seek such growth in pride.

But if we pray, 'Lord, teach me your ways that I might walk in them', then I believe that God will hear us and bless us.

The one who is wise and growing in wisdom is the one who is building his house on the rock. How can we tell if this is so? It surely requires a commitment to the teaching and spiritual practice of the Church, but also the guidance of others so that we do not deceive ourselves.

We may ask God to grant us understanding of his ways, which is wisdom, and we might see in ourselves a growth in understanding and confidence in God, but we should not call ourselves wise, that is for others to see in us and give thanks.

There is much more to learn, and I have barely begun myself. But if God is wisdom then we find wisdom in seeking God and not in anything else.

Father Peter
  • It's interesting to note that the wisdom fraction ends saying that God the Word is the Wisdom, who was from Eternity.
    So whoever seeks wisdom, seeks the ultimate true Wisdom, Christ, who is described by St Paul as being the Wisdom of God (1Cor 1:24). So basically to seek wisdom is to seek Christ and it is through the work of the H. Spirit that this occurs.

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God (Eph 3).

I really don't know what more to add, seeking Christ seems to be the goal of our life...I'm in need of quite some wisdom myself too ;D

• James 1:5
    If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

James 3:17
    But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.
  • when asking God for anything make sure you don't ask amiss

"You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." (James 4:3)
  • Thank you all all these points are absolutely amazing thank you :D
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=8305.msg106013#msg106013 date=1252054754]
    It's interesting to note that the wisdom fraction ends saying that God the Word is the Wisdom

Quick comment on this:

Why is it in the book of proverbs Wisdom is depicted as a women if it is indeed the Lord Incarnate?
  • You are right, wisdom is portrayed as a woman, but so is sin. According to a sermon I heard by Fr Antonios Fikry in his bible studies, the reason is that women give birth and feed their children. The same is true for sin, it brings forth sin and wants to (symbolically) feed the whole surrounding with sin. On the other hand, wisdom also brings forth wisdom.
    It could also be something linguistic, i know in coptic (and probably also in greek) the word sofia is feminine. It might be so in hebrew too, you'd have to ask someone learned in hebrew.

Note also that I didnt say the Wisdom is the Lord incarnate, I meant to say the Logos, meaning also before the incarnation. He was the Wisdom of God before all ages. But I'm sure thats what you meant as well.
  • Im sorry im not sure i understood that last part the note
  • I think what he is getting at, is, that the Logos being described in the feminine is appropriate, as the Logos is not really feminine or masculine in itself. It only became distinctly male by the Incarnation, thus before the sense of whether the Word is male or female would be an absurd notion, and thus the metaphor of the woman (someone desirable/ nurturing etc.) for wisdom is most apt, especially before the revelation of Jesus Christ.
  • Couldnt have said it more clearly, thanks clay ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you so much clay that made it so easy to understand :D