Deeds

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I was just thinking about Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie, and all the wonderful charitable things they do, including help orphans, feed hungry, help out the poor etc.

Now it's not mine/nor anyone else's job to judge these people, but for this scenario, let's pretend they do these good deeds not for the sake of God, but say for the sake of being helpful to humanity in general.

-Do we as Christians believe, good deeds can come from sources other than God?
-If they don't necessarily come from God, does this mean that they are useless, since they're not helping us out spiritually?
-Is it wrong in general to feel a wanting to help others, even if the idea is not a result of your meditation on God's commandments?

thanks

Comments

• Basically, God is the source for any good. So whatever good and love is done in the world, comes from God.
    You don't have to be a believer in God to be able to participate in the life that God designed for man. We see many examples of that in daily life. Everybody has His seed of goodness and love in them, since we are all created in His image.
    However, through the participation of the grace of God we can reach so much higher potentials than those who don't believe. And the giving and loving becomes unconditional and without limits.
    We don't know what reasons may be behind charity done for the sake of charity. Maybe it is truly goodness of heart. Maybe it is out of guilt, because they see so much misery and they are very wealthy themselves and their consciesness moves them to reach out for the poor. Maybe it's for tax-reasons, who knows lol. It could be a combination of all of these reasons and others.
  • I just want to draw your attention that most, if not all, rich people of the US have to do all the wonderful charitable things for tax purposes. Anything charitable is deductable from the taxes they have to pay. lol :) plus the advantage of the public image. they look good in front of us. lol :)
    I also have to say that I don't know about their hearts, but for sure I know about the taxes.

• good point
  • I remember Jesus said that satan cannot divide  against itself....

u know...
  • i would await Father Peter's view on such a topic. Father has balanced points and it is a tricky topic. My 2 cnts comments would be God looks to the heart..maybe they're "chairtiable" deeds may lead them to more good. Even if it is for tax purposes id be inclined to still call it good deeds. Lets not rule out their numerous deeds tht have helped others in the world. Rather than critcise lets uplift, critque.

• the whole point of my question, was not to criticize them, at all.  In fact, thats the last thing i wanted to achieve, I just used their names so people can relate to the situation i was describing, its purely hypothetical.
    the point of my question was are all Good Deeds derived from God, even if one enjoys performing them, not necessarily for the glorification of God [or for himself] but for the sake of doing good?

this also brings up another point i was wondering about:
    What do you guys think of the saying:  "Good intentions pave the road to hell"

I mean i see how it is relevant in our daily lives, but i suppose this goes against the concept that God looks only towards the heart?