dancing...whats your view?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
i want to have a bday party however i want there to be dancing, bc if not we would just sit there and be bored, i only view dancing as a means of having fun and not for he purpose of making anyone lust or anything. whats your oppinion about dancing at parties?

Comments

• why not?!

but one... you need acceptable music... two... there is respectable dancing...

if you serve in sunday school and your children see you... are you going to be ashamed of your action?!

and remember you might not be lusting... yet it can lead many others to lust!!!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • yah i deffinitley agree!
  • ive been to weddings where my family dances lol... bellydance to be specific  ::)

im too shy to dance  :(
  • Disagree

i see it this way

If Jesus would attend that party would He stay and dance or would He leave

We believe that our Lord Jesus Christ is with us all the time why would we make Him sad

Why can't we sacrifice this one for Him

If you think that you will offend even one person don't do it
    remember the verse
    "if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck" Mark 9:42

also remember this verse
    "All things are lawful for me,but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify" 2 Corinth 10:32

forgive me if I sounded judgmental
    I actually think that there are alot of bparties that don't involve dancing a good step if you decide not to dance at it is to ask other friends who had bparties with no dancing see what activities they did

you can barbeque or do outside games bean bags

God bless you and help you
    pray for me
  • but the question is...WOULD He leave?

maybe its because egypt is used to dancing
  • We need to be careful not to impose our own opinions on our Lord and say 'He would do this or that'.

We DO know that he attended a wedding and provided the best wine for the guests in a miraculous way. I am sure that there was dancing there.

It seems to me that the issue is not dancing, but the type of dancing and the type of music. In England there are traditional dances which involve many people - and which are mostly forgotten and have been replaced by disco and night club dancing. In Scotland these traditional dances remain popular. I have attended such dances in the past at a Baptist Church in Scotland which would not even countenance the consumption of alcohol nor anything which might be considered unseemly. But these traditional dances involve young and old and are nothing like disco dancing.

So what is the sort of dancing we are talking about? What are the words of the tunes being considered as suitable for playing? It is not dancing which is problematic, certainly throughout Europe there were forms of communal dancing in past centuries which were considered suitable for people and which were not considered offensive. But in our own times we seem to have abandoned these traditional communal principles and much modern dancing is liable to inflame the passions.

But I am not able to be absolutely against all modern music and dancing - I like lots of modern music after all. But care must be taken. The list of songs needs to be considered so that there are no unsuitable lyrics, the style of music must be considered so that there are no unsuitable forms of dancing. Flicking through some of the music channels yesterday I saw the video for a current song and both the lyrics and the dancing was unsuitable for any Christian. But there are other modern somgs which are not offensive, and which require a form of dancing that it also not necessarily offensive.

I do not believe that our Lord Jesus Christ abhors music and dance, but there are forms which are un-spiritual. Take care to avoid them and I believe it is possible to have dancing at a Christian wedding. That is of course not a blanket approval.

Father Peter