The Way of a Pilgrim

edited August 2009 in Random Issues
Hello:

I just finished reading a book called 'The way of a Pilgrim' which I ran across by accident,  without knowing what it was really about. In a nutshell,the book is about  a simple Russian peasant who after hearing the verse "pray without ceasing" in a church sermon desired to find out more about it. To seek  ,find and worship Christ, he gives up all his possesion and hits the road with an ordinary Rucksack and dried bread.On his way, he struggles for survival,encounters dangers , miracles ,simplicity, suffering and joy.The rich,the poor,the wise and the simple who bumped across him on his journey help him learn how to pray without ceasing, the prayer of the heart as he calls it; introducing  him to the Jesus Prayer,the so called Orthodox rosary "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner".

The book's writing style is very simple and gentle,but with deep spritual thoughts and benefits. Moreover, it gives one an insight into the rich tradtional aspects of the Russian Orthodox spritual life before the Communists took over. I also found it very inspiring so much so that I am tempted to buy the "mequteria' and pray the Jesus prayer ,because in order to fully appreciate the story of the peasant, one needs to try to emulate the example of the simple man in one's own spritual life.

It has a second part " and the pilgrim continues his journey', which I will be picking up soon.

This book is a true blessing to me and I won't give it away. I recommend it.

My apology for this quick and bad review.

Comments

• I have read it and loved it. The second part was good too but I got more out of the first part. Another book on the Jesus Prayer that I really loved a lot in A Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain by Metropolitan Hierotheos of Nafpaktos where he documents his conversation on the Jesus Prayer with an Athonite hermit. The Way of the Pilgrim was written in the 19th century which in Russia was producing many Saints such as St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Nazarius of Valaam, St. Herman of Alaska, the Optina Elders, and many more who holy men of the time. All of the Saints listed above were influenced by the same book that the pilgrim had, the Philokalia which was printed in Slavonic with the help of the disciples of the spiritual giant St. Paisius Velichkovsky who translated the Philokalia and his influence spread all across Russia. All the Saints I listed above were in a way influenced by the work of St. Paisius who sparked a monastic renewal in Russia after a very sad period of time that started with Tsar Peter I when he introduced reforms in Russia and closed many monasteries. His Russian disciples who were with him in Moldavia returned to Russia after his death and brought the hesychastic revival to Russia.
  • wow very informative andrew...

well a little name pride...  Paisius or Paisios is equivalent to Bishoy

which I take so much pride in holding such a name... sorry for the name pride! lol

now the main reason of why I'm replying...

I also found it very inspiring so much so that I am tempted to buy the "mequteria' and pray the Jesus prayer, because in order to fully appreciate the story of the peasant, one needs to try to emulate the example of the simple man in one's own spritual life.

that would be great if you were to go and get a "chotki" and pray the Jesus prayer... but don't forget in the book the man sought spiritual Guidance... so never forget to do it but with spiritual guidance! it is a GREAT blessing... I love the prayer... I love the book... and I love my chotki, its kind of funny, because I do so many things to my chotki... like I added a Jesus on the cross of my chotki... many decorations...

I took the blessing... Thank God!
  • i am so lost...what's a "chotki" or a "mequteria"
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=8232.msg105224#msg105224 date=1249672625]
    i am so lost...what's a "chotki" or a "mequteria"

A chotki and the mequteria are prayer ropes. Chotki is the Russian word for it, in Greek it's known as a komboskini. They are traditionally made from wool but some are made with wood beads and Russian Old Believers also use a modified version of it made from leather called a lestovka. They are used for counting repetitious prayers one says. It is used for short prayers like the Jesus Prayer or "Lord have mercy".

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Prayer_rope
  • And the Mequteria(it simply means 'counting') is the Ethiopian/Coptic term for prayer ropes.

I was wondering how and where the tradition of the Jesus prayer originated. Does it have its roots in the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee? Or is it the long version of "kyrie Eleison" ?

SMBam, thanks for the feedback. Do you use the 41 beads or the 64 beads?

Now, I have found the 'Philokalia' at the local bookstore, but the Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain seems to be a rare book.Amazon sells it for $368 and other offers are at $65+. Why are some religious books as expensive as medical books?  Mind boggling.
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8232.msg105323#msg105323 date=1250104853]
    And the Mequteria(it simply means 'counting') is the Ethiopian/Coptic term for prayer ropes.

I was wondering how and where the tradition of the Jesus prayer originated. Does it have its roots in the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee? Or is it the long version of "kyrie Eleison" ?

The Jesus prayer has it's roots with the prayer of the Publican, "God be merciful to me a sinner" and it also has roots in Bartimaeus' supplication "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" (Mark 10:47).

Now, I have found the 'Philokalia' at the local bookstore, but the Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain seems to be a rare book.Amazon sells it for $368 and other offers are at $65+. Why are some religious books as expensive as medical books?  Mind boggling.

$368! That's crazy and I don't know why they have it at such a price! Check here: http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1189&Category_ID=10 it is only $16. Orthodox books aren't expensive unless they are out of print for example St. Issac the Syrian's Homilies are being sold for over $1000 since that one is very hard to get but will be back in print by the end of the year God willing. The only reason I can find that the Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain is so expensive on Amazon because it may be an older printing but still it is a ridicules price.
  • SMBam, thanks for the feedback. Do you use the 41 beads or the 64 beads?

I prefer the 100 or 50... I prefer more the 50 because because it fits around my wrist so i have it with me everywhere I go... also when it is really easy to keep count... but when its 41 or 64... even though I don't know where the 64 comes from... it involves too much math, which i prefer not to think of math during my prayers! lol

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • [quote author=andrew21091 link=topic=8232.msg105385#msg105385 date=1250205609]
    [http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1189&Category_ID=10 it is only $16. Orthodox books aren't expensive unless they are out of print for example St. Issac the Syrian's Homilies are being sold for over $1000 since that one is very hard to get but will be back in print by the end of the year God willing. The only reason I can find that the Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain is so expensive on Amazon because it may be an older printing but still it is a ridicules price.

Andrew, thanks a lot for info and the link. It is a great site .I appreciate it very much. Now, I will look for the English book of St Youstis diligently:-)

SuperMan,

I guess, the 64 beads depict the age of our Blessed Mother on earth.I do not know which Oriental church, possibly the Ethiopian or Syrian but they have a prayer called " For the sake of your Holy mother, oh Lord have mercy on me a sinner" ..64 x..Sounds great..Thanks
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8232.msg105736#msg105736 date=1251234444]
    [quote author=andrew21091 link=topic=8232.msg105385#msg105385 date=1250205609]
    [http://www.skete.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1189&Category_ID=10 it is only $16. Orthodox books aren't expensive unless they are out of print for example St. Issac the Syrian's Homilies are being sold for over $1000 since that one is very hard to get but will be back in print by the end of the year God willing. The only reason I can find that the Night in the Desert of the Holy Mountain is so expensive on Amazon because it may be an older printing but still it is a ridicules price.

Andrew, thanks a lot for info and the link. It is a great site .I appreciate it very much. Now, I will look for the English book of St Youstis diligently:-)

SuperMan,

I would love that; thanks!  ;D