Have you read za entire Bible?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
i havent  :( shame on moi

not even the new testament!! i really should sometime soon, when do u guys read the bible like is ther esome schedual like mornings or evenings or ...yeah

btw when is the third testament coming out? LOL!!

Comments

• There is no 3rd Testament because Jesus' blood is an eternal and perfect sacrifice, unlike the animal sacrifices of the Old Testament.

Well, when I wasn't really reading the Bible, my FOC first had me read just the New Testament-- a few, say like 3 chapters a day.

After I had read the New Testament a few times, he wanted me to read the whole bible every year. So he told me to read 3 chapters from the OT and 2 from the NT everyday until I finish the NT, then read 4 from OT and 1 from NT. There are other divisions that some churches have made and there is the one year bible (you can buy one from orthodoxobookstore.org_. I just follow what my FOC told me to the best of my ability and I've read the whole bible this way. He emphasized the importance of reading the OT along with the NT, that way you see the harmony between them better.
  • Sadly, I'm with you one this since I have not read the whole thing, not even the entire New Testament but I have read all the Gospels. I am taking the initiative now though to read the whole New Testament through and that is what I'm focusing on.
  • If you read 2 chapters from the old testament and 1 chapter from the new you will be done in a year
  • what about you just read the bible for for the sake of God not for the sake of finishing it!
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8231.msg105174#msg105174 date=1249491406]
    what about you just read the bible for for the sake of God not for the sake of finishing it!

For me, it's not about finishing it but it's about me being negligent about reading it and now I want to really read it and understand it. When reading the Gospels for instance, I always keep St. Theophylact's commentary close at hand for verses that I don't quite understand. One should read the scriptures to get closer to God and not just reading for the sake of reading it since spiritual growth and understanding has to come out of the reading. You are correct in your comment.
  • i have but i am quite old
    ;)
    u should definately read it, and i agree the new testament is a good place to start. there are children's Bibles as well which have some of the main parts of the Bible in simple language with nice pictures and we should encourage all our brothers/ sisters/ young friends to start here, moving onto a full Bible when they can read more quickly, for example around age 8-10. that is how i started and i read a part nearly every day (5 minutes to 1 hour or more depending on whether i had lots of homework from school or had to go our somewhere).
    hey if you are older and find the Bible is too big and you don't know where to start, you can also start with a children's Bible.
    i have recently bought the orthodox study Bible, you can order it from any Christian book store in uk or usa, and i expect you can get it in other countries too. it is very good if you want to study in detail or prepare a Bible study for your friends because there is a lot of notes of explaination. i recommend it highly.
    i think if u are more awake in the mornings u should read for a few minutes each morning and if you are more awake at night u should read before sleeping. if you have a day off work/ school, you can read in the middle of the day too.
    and pray before you read (psalm 118 (119) verse 18) and after you read, to understand what God is teaching you specifically that day (psalm 118 verse 105).
  • It is best to read the New Testament a few times before reading the Old I've been told since when you know the New, you can understand better the Old especially the Prophets.