MONASTISM VIDEO!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues

The Last Anchorite
Featuriing father lazarus :)
Enjoy ;)

Comments

• Very nice video. I remember Fr. Lazarus from the Extreme Pilgrim show.
  • I love Fr. Lazarus he is just so knowledgeable.

I seriously thought he was Egyptian with a really good English.

It turns out he is actually Australian
  • nice movie and nice words. but i don't like the concept of "the last anchorite  or even calling him one. I am not saying he's not, am just saying that these things are not supposed to be like.....advertised in this way!
  • is an anchorite the same as a hermit?

i don't even get the title "the last anchorite" ... aren't there a lot of people who live alone in the desert?
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=8207.msg104982#msg104982 date=1248585512]
    is an anchorite the same as a hermit?

i don't even get the title "the last anchorite" ... aren't there a lot of people who live alone in the desert?

Yes, an anchorite is the same as a hermit.

I don't get the title either since there are plenty of hermits living in our day. I'm sure there are Coptic ones in the desert and I know there are hermits on Mt. Athos, Sinai, and Russia.
  • Thanks for the link !  I see no problem with the title as I think the reference is only to St Anthnoy monastery . As far as I know Fr Lazarus is the only hermit in St Anthony monastery.

mem'ba Father Peter Owen Jones from the Extreme pilgrim series? After Egypt, he also visited to learn about the Ethiopian Orthodox church and I wonder if his spritual experiences has made lasting impact on him that would eventually inspire him to convert to orthodoxy as he has seen and experienced first hand what Christianity is all about. Below is a short Youtube video of his viist to ethiopia and he appears to be an interesting guy who has no trouble to mingle with villagers.

• [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8207.msg105042#msg105042 date=1248887368]
    Thanks for the link !  I see no problem with the title as I think the reference is only to St Anthnoy monastery . As far as I know Fr Lazarus is the only hermit in St Anthony monastery.

mem'ba Father Peter Owen Jones from the Extreme pilgrim series? After Egypt, he also visited to learn about the Ethiopian Orthodox church and I wonder if his spritual experiences has made lasting impact on him that would eventually inspire him to convert to orthodoxy as he has seen and experienced first hand what Christianity is all about. Below is a short Youtube video of his viist to ethiopia and he appears to be an interesting guy who has no trouble to mingle with villagers.

It's hard to say since the Ethiopian episode is part of his "Around the World in 80 Faiths" series where he goes around the world and experiences all the different faiths in the world including Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, all forms of Christianity, and even Atheism. Who knows if certain ones attract him more?

Very nice video clip; I love seeing the Ethiopian Orthodox traditions. One of these days I should take a visit to the Ethiopian mission church that uses the chapel at my church one of these days. I can go to Liturgy in the church and then go over to the chapel for Ethiopian liturgy.
  • very touching viceo. I'm so glad you shared it!
  • [quote author=andrew21091 link=topic=8207.msg105044#msg105044 date=1248891839]
    It's hard to say since the Ethiopian episode is part of his "Around the World in 80 Faiths" series where he goes around the world and experiences all the different faiths in the world including Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, all forms of Christianity, and even Atheism. Who knows if certain ones attract him more?

Very nice video clip; I love seeing the Ethiopian Orthodox traditions. One of these days I should take a visit to the Ethiopian mission church that uses the chapel at my church one of these days. I can go to Liturgy in the church and then go over to the chapel for Ethiopian liturgy.

Well, I do hope he makes the right choice. At 5:19 of the clip, Father Peter O Jones woke up from his sleep and says " As the sun comes out, the priests lead out the church.By now, they have been praying for 18 hours". How could one pray for 18 hours? Amazing. Then he goes on ,at 6:13 of the clip, he says " By African standard, Christianity is a new religion,but coming among the villages worshipping on the hilltop, I feel as close to glimpsing man's earliest creation with the devine as I have felt anywehere on my journey". Moreover, conversing with one of the elders,he experienced Christ's command that 'man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God'. I hope the faith that he saw there and at St Anthony's moves him to do the right thing.

Remember us in your prayers while celebrating the Ethiopian liturgy.

• Great clips! Thanks for sharing. The programme of the series can be found here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/80faiths/ .Those who reside in Britain and Europe may watch video clips.
  • This video is awesome.i have watched it 10 times and i still love it......
    thanks for sharing
    pray for me. :)